• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Red DLT M390 madness begins Again

uxo2

Gold Member
Some of you will remember the price gouging that happened when DLT released the Spyderco PM2 in M390.

Now we have the DLT Manix.

I am all for capitalism. But I choose not
to participate in gouging BF members.

Actual price.
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 10.56.36 AM.png

Gouge price
Screenshot_20190117-083651~2.png

Last edited:
Well the only way it will end is if members just refuse to pay the ridculous price mark ups ...

I know they have other selling options but I bet the majority go through here or are bought by members of this or other knife forums.

100% scumbags.

I posted in the other thread about this, but my awesome wife managed to score two.
I thought it was one, but when i was bitching about the flippers she told me two were coming.

Can i raffle one off for list price plus shipping and paypal fees?

Seems a fair way to get one to people that missed the maddness.

And this is why we need a dislike button, so everyone can dislike that for sale post

Pr
100% scumbags.

I posted in the other thread about this, but my awesome wife managed to score two.
I thought it was one, but when i was bitching about the flippers she told me two were coming.

Can i raffle one off for list price plus shipping and paypal fees?

Seems a fair way to get one to people that missed the maddness.

And this is why we need a dislike button, so everyone can dislike that for sale post
Probably not a raffle per se, but a lottery with no entry fee type thing might be ok. Basically a sales thread where anyone who wants can enter and a random buyer is chosen...

Doesn't bother me. There are many injustices in the world and this isn't high on my list of things to get worked up about.
DLT set a limit of 2 per person so no one buys like 100 and flips them.
That one recently listed is priced very high and is unlikely to sell. There will be others for sale on the secondary for less.
There's another Manix 2 with M390 and brown scales coming soon for about the same $$$ as this red one.
There will always be other knives.
Also reselling knives typically results in a loss unless you devote yourself to buying only the limited runs of most desirable models.

Pr

Probably not a raffle per se, but a lottery with no entry fee type thing might be ok. Basically a sales thread where anyone who wants can enter and a random buyer is chosen...

I would be down to do something like that.
Anything that gives multiple people a chance to get one rather than the first ill take it style.

What was the Spyderco price?

That was $129.95 from DLT. :rolleyes:

Unless it's an aftermarket mod with all the parts thickly electroplated in gold, I am having a hard time imagining a world in which any Manix is worth $225.

I had thought that the market had more or less corrected itself on the DLT exclusives. Market price on the 20CV PM2s stabilized around $170, which seems fair to me given a retail of $140 and fees/shipping costs.

I would think that the Spyderco SFO bubble would have burst earlier once we all realized that everyone and their cousin was going to run an exclusive batch and then rerun them as long as they sell.

The PM2 bubble started with the Bento Box Shop M390 PM2s, but at that point, they were the only option for a current-generation super-steel PM2, and even at retail they carried a hefty premium over typical Spyderco street price just because that's how BBS always rolls. By the time DLT released their red M390 PM2 for only a few more dollars than the base model, people jumped all over a good thing, but a lot of people thought it was a flash-in-the-pan thing and that this was their only chance to grab such a beast.

... at this point, though, there's not really any justification for paying that much of a premium for a limited run, because the market is saturated and supply is likely to be high - we know a second M390 PM2 run is coming from DLT, and there's every indication that basically every Spyderco dealer is lined up to make an exclusive.

madcap_magician madcap_magician

Wow. That’s nuts. I don’t begrudge someone the right to sell their property, but that’s a pretty hefty profit to be expecting. There’s no satisfactory answer to the eternal “flipper” debate, but that strikes me as unsavory.

The NET and f&f sellars suck too.

Hahaha yeah, it's funny though that these threads always come back to that, and it's always the same choir.

Sometimes I think that there's two separate Bladeforums worlds... one group of members who only look at the FSOT forums and where "Net to Me" and "F&F only!" are de rigeur, and then everyone else in all the other subforums, who mostly gripe about the first group, who remains totally oblivious because again, they don't read any posts outside of FSOT.

Rip me apart, but we live in a free market society, luckily, still. Who wants to set up a “knife flipping profit allowance police force?:rolleyes:

I don't, and I strongly support the right of anyone here to sell their knives for any price they think they can get. But I'm also a big believer in informed decision making, which here would include pointing out publicly that paying $225 for a Manix is crazy and hoping that no one pays it so that the market doesn't get too distorted.

Last edited:
Hahaha yeah, it's funny though that these threads always come back to that, and it's always the same choir.

Sometimes I think that there's two separate Bladeforums worlds... one group of members who only look at the FSOT forums and where "Net to Me" and "F&F only!" are de rigeur, and then everyone else in all the other subforums, who mostly gripe about the first group, who remains totally oblivious because again, they don't read any posts outside of FSOT.
Exactly, and frankly, the people who only come here for the exchange are the people who bring most of the issues. RARELY do you see a long time active member throw everything away for a knife(i know there is exceptions to that). It's the exchange only folks that screw people over.

I'd rather deal with an active member everyday of the week, over the exchange only people.

Back