Red Trout Giveaway - Winner Announced

Thank you for the opportunity. I’m in please. I’m awfully fond of stag!

44789152145_1191588228_o_d.jpg

My favorite scale material in general is a nicely dyed jigged bone.

However, my favorite scale material on a particular knife out of all that I own are these stag handles on another knife made by Eric, my "Eric's Jack". Many people like really heavily textured stag but these are much more to my liking.

Showing all sides to show how beautifully matched in contour and thickness, while still retaining individuality and character:
rvj6Veo.jpg

ZwXF92d.jpg

WOG3Smz.jpg

I normally don't participate in these because I have enough knives to last more than my lifetime, but I would love to have the opportunity to have another of Eric's top-notch handiwork to enjoy. So I'm in.

Last edited:
I'm not in. I desperately want to be in, because I want that knife so much, but I have to stay consistent. I have won too much here lately.

My favorite scale material is wood. My very favorite scales on any knife are French Walnut, but the knife they are on can't be shared here. But my second most favorite knife scales in the world are ones that are on another knife made by @ea42, my 2015 forum knife.
full

I need a new solo closeup of this knife because the scales look very different today (If you want to see a more recent picture, along with the French Walnut I can't share in this subforum, here is a link https://www.bladeforums.com/media/20190601_170525.6392/). Actually, at the last OKCA show I showed @waynorth my 2015 forum knife and he asked if I had dyed the scales, but it was just the color change of years of daily carry.

I love the way wood ages. I love the feel in the hand over any other material. And I love the knife I have that ea42 had a hand in making. I wish I was in for this GAW, but I will be consistent and just be thankful for my many blessings.

Wow. Thanks for the opportunity!

I really don’t have a favorite. I have a least favorite. Micarta. I see it’s appeal but I just don’t care for it. My favorites though, multiple, are amber jigged bone, nice stag (but I am picky, it has to be just right), and ivories. Both the perfect mammoth with lots of blue and green, and African grey goat variety.
260AC7CA-B0AD-44F6-AA53-35FA2E9413C5.jpeg 479622C4-C83E-4714-B85F-57BF1E0298AB.jpeg D0DC077F-1B44-40BC-89F1-7D65DE945219.jpeg

I'm in please. Thanks for the generous GAW, been following the Red Trout thread and they look like great knives.

My favourite scale material is jigged bone, there is just so much variety available that every and any one can find one that appeals.

I am in. Thanks for having such a generous GAW. I have handled three of Eric’s knives. All have had exceptional action with strong pulls and authoritative snaps. I had a green camel bone version from the latest run that really impressed me with near perfect fit and finish. My brother admired it, so I gave it to him for a birthday gift.

My favorite handle material varies. I love all the natural handle types. I even like an occasional micarta handle if I can see a lot of pattern. Right now my favorite is probably Appaloosa bone.
dtkRj4w.jpg

Last edited:
This is a very generous giveaway, and thank you for thinking of us members outside the US :) It's been a while since I last entered a giveaway, but I'd like to throw my hat in, if I may (and happy to pay postage if luck should smile upon me). I love the look of the knife Glenn modded for you, and while I very much enjoy good Sambar stag, overall, I think wood is also still my first preference - ebony most of all :) :thumbsup:

ccCBlC8.jpg

Zoiks this is not an easy choice for me. My favorite cover material is the one that makes the knife "pop" most. :cool:

If I have to narrow it down, is going to be between micarta and a hard wood. If the wood were as durable as the micarta, it would win, because I like the feeling of wood the best in hand. So let's just call it there.

I'm in. Thanks for the GAW. Here's a shot of the one I let get away wearing some Gabon Ebony:

40045698721_8339d7da9b_h.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent giveaway, thank you for your generosity! I’ll play.

Like many others already, I love wood best. Of the many fine woods, ironwood is my favorite, followed by dark blackwoods like ebony and African blackwood.

3307596F-D8EE-4F2E-9882-DE7B27F1B881.jpeg D949E82D-8272-4BC0-B16D-B386498FB442.jpeg D2A79983-A326-42F5-9D07-A6207B524F28.jpeg

B46486B7-13ED-479D-B3A2-B3F50FB95D6F.jpeg I’m in please:)
Eric did a great job on these knives. I was particularly taken with the blue rope jigged bone that he did. I love good wood and always a fan of stag or Mammoth ivory.
Richard LANIGAN was a wonderful gentleman and left his mark on traditional pocket knives with a couple stellar runs of high quality knives.
Here is a popcorn stag jigged bone, I was fortunate enough to buy from Richard. ( Grandson # 1 has already laid claim)

I gravitate more towards wood. Particularly the classy and always elegant Gabon ebony. It feels great looks great and ages well. Thanks for the opportunity. I'm in please.

Back