REK Ember fixed blade discussion thread

REK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Figured it was about time to make a dedicated thread for this specific model :)

i-mqJbrd8-XL.jpg

Any questions, pics, discussion, testimonials, etc. about this model can be posted here!!

Pre-order is now closed

Here's some of the WIP pics from start to finish for the first batch. Second batch is in production as I write this w/ an ETA beginning of December.

First up I did the CAD and 3D printed a proto:
i-n7tcKVw-XL.jpg
i-PQ5Nvhf-XL.jpg

Then I ordered up the blanks and rough ground to prep for HT

i-fPnFmpb-XL.jpg
i-tBDnkSL-XL.jpg

Sent out for HT and once back I started building all these handles by hand (chamfers and all)

i-psx8gQd-XL.jpg

Initial batch done!

i-9rdjbMg-XL.jpg

Final pics before initial sale:
i-qpvHjd8-XL.jpg

i-Tkctjz8-XL.jpg
i-PZxmNbC-XL.jpg
i-kv2x3LL-XL.jpg
i-pDnKnJD-XL.jpg
i-TKnrPvn-XL.jpg
i-RHkTXv2-XL.jpg
i-RDSVNzb-XL.jpg

Next batch I'm offering 2 steel options (M390 and CPM Cruwear) with multiple scale materials and sheath colors. This next batch will likely have jimping with the crowned spine, as well as a skeletonized tang.

i-ZgXcMZx-XL.png
i-RWRcDJW-XL.png

Last edited:
I’m betting on the CocoCru!

Aaaaand you would be RIGHT! out of 37 orders so far, top orders are:

Blade:
  • 27 cruwear
  • 10 m390
Scales
  • 13 coconut
  • 12 od grn micarta
DLC - 13 orders

Sorry I know I'm a nerd but I find spreadsheets and stats quite interesting :) Plus I love organization so spreadsheets are a must for me!

I love it and can't wait for mine!
Josh will you be offering replacement scales also?

Yes for sure! Crunching the numbers allows me to dial in specific orders w/ a certain number of each color extra. Acutally I may send out an email to see who will want what regarding extra scales (just to make sure I don't undershoot any specific color), we will see.

Josh, do you foresee making any of the micarta scales with a pattern like the G10 models? (I don't know if that's even feasible but I like the pattern on the g10 over the sculpted, though I usually lean toward micarta) Maybe not necessarily on this order, but on subsequent?

REK Knives REK Knives
No that pattern is referred to as peel ply and is made that way in a factory. I may make some extra black g10 peel ply scales to be available at some point though.

Back