REK Folder (Kuros) update thread

Discussion in 'Razor Edge Knives' started by razor-edge-knives, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Drew R

Drew R Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    That is a great grind! Have you thought about a little recurve as an option? I'm a sucker for a recurve, although it looks great as is.

Looks like a smooth action. Would you consider ceramic bearings as opposed to PB washers at some point, or is that another project?

Great work!

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  2. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Josh, you have the PERFECT background. My best wishes...
    Don

razor-edge-knives and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  3. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Yeah I've thought about the recurve as well as a host of other grinds. Fortunately I set the blade up so I can have a lot of options so that's cool.

Probably not bearings on these, I want them to be geared towards being a work horse knife and bearings are too finicky for that imho.

4. Drew R

Drew R Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Understood, just curious. Great work in any case, and I look forward to following along as the project progressea.

razor-edge-knives and Fullflat like this.
  5. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Well guys... Ran into a snag on these. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why I was getting some vertical lock rock under medium to hard pressure. Finally figured out I designed the lock insert area to thin and that was allowing the lock bar to flex simulating that feeling (even though it wasn't slipping per say). Anyway, I'm going to remake the lockside liner and inserts with that area reinforced. Ugh, what a set back :(:confused:

6. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Sorry to hear that Josh. I have confidence you will get the bugs worked out.

RayseM, woodysone and Fullflat like this.
  7. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    X2.

Fullflat likes this.
  8. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks guys, it's something most people would never notice but it drives me crazy so I have to fix it haha.

JJ_Colt45, Barman1, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  9. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    It nice to see that you care so much about your baby that you will not let it out then fix it, now I really want one!;)

10. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks for the support man. It hurts because I have to drop a pretty penny to have the lock side liner and inserts re-made but it will be worth it in the end. Here's the re-design. You can see where I have the insert completely surrounded by supporting Ti which will offer much more strength in this area than before where it just trailed off to nothing on the cut out side.

[​IMG]

4mer_FMF, RayseM, mb> and 5 others like this.
  11. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Keep at it Josh!!

12. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Sorry for the setback ... but I'm confident you will get it dialed in Josh ... I think all of us are. When you get it released it will be top notch like all your work brother.

Hang in there it's close and it will be worth all of the extra work when you hold the final product and know you do that!

13. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Really like the looks of these Josh. :thumbsup: I’d be in for a wharnie, especially with the hole opener if so. A full on clip point would be sexy too. Looking forward to what you turn out!

woodysone and razor-edge-knives like this.
  14. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    I agree, it's unfortunate but will be worth it in the long run.
    Yeah I'll have fun with the different grinds and shapes :)

JJ_Colt45, woodysone and mb> like this.
  15. COPIUOS

COPIUOS Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2015
    This is great to see...learning by doing is often the only way...you are "failing forward" as they say, and your attention to detail will ensure happy customers for life!

C

16. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Should be getting a re-worked liner this week hopefully so I can get the first one knocked out!

This carbon fiber will be dressing up the first one... Can't wait :)

[​IMG]

17. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    What did you do to your hand Josh?

18. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Stabbed it with a fillet knife... It's almost healed up now though lol, wasn't too bad it's just really hard to get anything to stick to your palm.

BilboBaggins likes this.
  19. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
  20. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    woodysone likes this.