Return of the Mini Recon 1

Great news! Please just don't mess it up by adding weird changes @Cold Steel Knives
I'd be happy if it just looks identical to the OG one, with S35VN blade and stonewashed finish.
Please no paper thin scale(bring back the thick scale! especially for the lawman!), please no plastic handle/plastic clip, please no 1.4116/5cr/aus8 steel, please keep the triad lock(duh?).

I know a lot of the requests above are kinda "duh", but it's hard to know what to expect nowadays. Often time when an improvement happens to a model, it's always one step forward, one step back. For example - the American Lawman changes, it's awesome that it was changed from AUS8A to XHP and the shitty Teflon coating was changed to DLC. But IMO CS F-ed it up by making the handle too thin. The Lawman has a wide handle, and the ergonomic was completed changed.
I was looking at my old post, it sure didn’t age well. CS did F—ked it up with the latest re-release of the mini Recon 1. AUS10 was not bad, but I just found out that they are switching to plastic(GRN) handle scale according to their website.

What’s next? Maybe mini Recon 1 lite in 1.4116 steel, liner lock, or normal backlock made in China?

I was looking at my old post, it sure didn’t age well. CS did F—ked it up with the latest re-release of the mini Recon 1. AUS10 was not bad, but I just found out that they are switching to plastic(GRN) handle scale according to their website.

What’s next? Maybe mini Recon 1 lite in 1.4116 steel, liner lock, or normal backlock made in China?
Yeah that is certainly a disappointment. On a positive note, it may well be plenty strong and perhaps a bit lighter. Hoping that prices are considerably lower than retail.

My personal opinion only, but I think they have ruined the Mini Recon 1. I may have been able to live with AUS10A, but non-G10 handles are a no-go for me. I've been looking forward to the return of the Mini Recon 1 for years, but I won't be buying this downgraded pile of garbage.

My personal opinion only, but I think they have ruined the Mini Recon 1. I may have been able to live with AUS10A, but non-G10 handles are a no-go for me. I've been looking forward to the return of the Mini Recon 1 for years, but I won't be buying this downgraded pile of garbage.
Yup, they just can’t leave good enough alone.

I just watched a review in the knife review forum with Jimislash on the new AD15 Lite and he had the one knife with the new Grivex handles and the G10 handles on the other and he couldn't tell the difference. Check out the vid and see what you think and have a great day.

AUS10 was not bad, but I just found out that they are switching to plastic(GRN) handle scale according to their website.

Where did you see that? There is no product specifications yet that I saw. Only states AUS-10.

I just watched a review in the knife review forum with Jimislash on the new AD15 Lite and he had the one knife with the new Grivex handles and the G10 handles on the other and he couldn't tell the difference. Check out the vid and see what you think and have a great day.

I’ll wait for a Proof Video to come out and demonstrate that Grivex performs just as well. Think I’ll be waiting for a long while...

Previous Proof Videos seem to show that Grivex with aluminum liners performs almost as well as solid G10.

I’ll wait for a Proof Video to come out and demonstrate that Grivex performs just as well. Think I’ll be waiting for a long while...

Previous Proof Videos seem to show that Grivex with aluminum liners performs almost as well as solid G10.
It's pretty tough stuff ! :)

Spyderco still uses basically same thing . Seems to have passed the test of time . ;)

Here's my Spyderhawk , with just one solid piece , no other liners , etc . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Spyderco still uses basically same thing . Seems to have passed the test of time . ;)

Here's my Spyderhawk , with just one solid piece , no other liners , etc . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sure, FRN works, but not for a hard use knife like the Mini Recon 1 is supposed to be. Had Dragonfly 2 in FRN and one in G10 with steel liners. Much easier to induce up and down play in the FRN model.

Sure, FRN works, but not for a hard use knife like the Mini Recon 1 is supposed to be. Had Dragonfly 2 in FRN and one in G10 with steel liners. Much easier to induce up and down play in the FRN model.
You shouldn't have any actual moment "play" typically with any Tri-ad lock .

Some flexing is OK and not a sign of weakness .

But if you need maximum extreme hard use strength , go for full metal liners . E.g. : 4 Max or AD10 .

Grivex with Al liners can be solid, but G10 is definitely better than solid grivory. Also, it's not just about the strength, it's also about the grippy feel of G10 handle.

Ever wonder why there's so many complain about up and down plays and centering issues with the Seki-city made Spyderco handle using FRN? You can see many comments about this in their own Spyderco forums.

Not saying plastic handle is absolutely no good. It's great at $30-40. I have 5 prolite myself BTW. It's just not great with it's $70 and AUS 10, considering i can buy any version of Code 4 at $75 right now. Only Spyderco has the audacity to charge this much for a plastic handle and VG10 steel.

Agree with I insta9ves . No matter how one spins, Grivex or FRN or whatever they call this material definitely is a downgrade as compared to G10. I have/had multiple Seki FRN spyderco folders and I have came to not caring about blade centering of them because at one moment they are dead centered while after a while they are off centered, and a hard one-hand squeeze of the handles will change the blade centering easily.

Are we really debating Grivex vs G10? According to Cold Steel’s own proof videos, weight hangs:
- Micro Recon 1 (Grivex): 125 lbs
- Tuff Lite (Grivex): 180 lbs
- Mini Recon 1 (G10): 250 lbs

Y
You shouldn't have any actual moment "play" typically with any Tri-ad lock .

Some flexing is OK and not a sign of weakness .

But if you need maximum extreme hard use strength , go for full metal liners . E.g. : 4 Max or AD10 .
You are making my point. Cold Steel has no quality sub 3” offering. I’ve got an AD10. I suppose I’ll wait for Cold Steel to release the 3 Max.

Still hoping the Mini Recon 1 will be in G10.

Back