Return of the Mini Recon 1

Y

You are making my point. Cold Steel has no quality sub 3” offering. I’ve got an AD10. I suppose I’ll wait for Cold Steel to release the 3 Max.

Still hoping the Mini Recon 1 will be in G10.
I have an old Mini AK47 . Discontinued now but I see them at auction occasionally .

Very thin and compact . Solid Tri-ad lockup . But no liners and thin G10 . Not really hard use , IMO .

Most compact model for hard use , probably is the Bush Ranger . 3.5" blade , but overall more compact than most of the hard use Cold Steel folders . :cool:

No metal liners , but very thick G10 . Great contoured grip , comfortable . Fits my medium hands perfect , maybe too short for very large hands .

Might be hard to find a true hard use folder that's also very compact . :(

Where can I see info on this new mini recon 1. I tried to look around but could not find anything

On their website, under the specifications of the mini recon 1.
Was having trouble opening the specifications. Now I see that it is indeed “GRNHandle”.

Most companies see a market for a well-built 3” folder with high quality materials. Cold Steel does not.

My next question is when does the Triad Lock patent expire? I’m sure many others could make a well designed 3” knife with a Triad.

Welp, this is somewhat disappointing. I like the AUS10 choice, it works very well on my Voyager and I have no use for more expensive steels. The linerless GRN is a letdown though. I actually don't have a problem with FRN / GRN, but I was going to use this knife as my legal sized compact hiking knife, and for that use case, G10 would have been better. I was looking forward to having it with the new less aggressive G10 texture. For everyday light use the Delica is much better (ease of operation, slicing ability, clip, FRN texture...).
This new Mini Recon 1 is just a half an inch shorter Pro Lite for 3x the price.

Was having trouble opening the specifications. Now I see that it is indeed “GRNHandle”.

Most companies see a market for a well-built 3” folder with high quality materials. Cold Steel does not.

My next question is when does the Triad Lock patent expire? I’m sure many others could make a well designed 3” knife with a Triad.
Last i heard 2024. Which is good, since even Demko was limited to how many triad lock knives he can make as part if agreement with cold steel. Perhaps once the patent expires, Demko can make more Triad lock models.

Last i heard 2024. Which is good, since even Demko was limited to how many triad lock knives he can make as part if agreement with cold steel. Perhaps once the patent expires, Demko can make more Triad lock models.
2024 is not too far away! I’m sure there are a few manufacturers that would want to make a quality 3” knife with a Triad lock!

Demko making more Triad knives is a bonus.

As for Cold Steel... When most companies introduce a new version of a product, they make improvements. Looks like Cold Steel has done the opposite. Lower the quality to make a cheap product.
XHP -> AUS10 (acceptable)
G10 -> Grivex (not acceptable)
Aluminum backspacer -> Grivex?

The XHP Mini Recon 1 could compete with some of the best- Native 5, Para 3, Mini Grip, etc. This new FRN version can’t. Maybe if CS offered a G10 version and also this scout FRN version...

Last edited:
2024 is not too far away! I’m sure there are a few manufacturers that would want to make a quality 3” knife with a Triad lock!

Demko making more Triad knives is a bonus.

As for Cold Steel... When most companies introduce a new version of a product, they make improvements. Looks like Cold Steel has done the opposite. Lower the quality to make a cheap product.
XHP -> AUS10 (acceptable)
G10 -> Grivex (not acceptable)
Aluminum backspacer -> Grivex?

The XHP Mini Recon 1 could compete with some of the best- Native 5, Para 3, Mini Grip, etc. This new FRN version can’t. Maybe if CS offered a G10 version and also this scout FRN version...

Exactly! They are like BlackHawk when they bought Master of Defense(not sure if anyone remember this brand) or the new Gerber. They bring back old model or just straight up introduced new versions of current model with downgrade across the board.

Master of Defense for example, when they were making their CQD(Mark I or II) it was aluminum handle, 154CM, DLC coating and mirror polished edge. Then Blackhawk took over and released new version of CQD with platic handle, AUS8A and cheap teflon coating.

It's sad to see CS downgrading their offering while the rest of the industry is moving forward. Just look at SOG - they are slowly moving their production back to the US, introducing S35VN or D2 as the cheaper steel. Even CRKT, the king of 7cr/8cr is starting to make more high end product(even though their 2021 lineup is still full of cheap crap).

Hey, maybe its just a mistake on the CS site???

BladeHq site says that the Minis will have
The handle is made of gently textured G-10 for a secure grip that doesn't eat your pocket.
. In the description of blade steel AUS10 listed so its not a copy/paste of the previous model.
Time will tell who is right and who was wrong.

If you look at the picture on the Cold Steel site, it looks like GRN. It's most noticeable on the outside edges. Very much looks like molded to me. On the other hand, there is a small metal layer visible inside the lanyard hole, so maybe that means it will have stainless steel / aluminum liners. That would make it a bit more acceptable.
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-99k.../products/602/888/27BAS__08868.1611258969.jpg

Hey, maybe its just a mistake on the CS site???

BladeHq site says that the Minis will have . In the description of blade steel AUS10 listed so its not a copy/paste of the previous model.
Time will tell who is right and who was wrong.
Hope springs eternal. The Cold Steel website’s picture for the link to EDC knives has a discontinued model, so it’s possible that G10 is mislabeled.

Is the Grivex handle really that bad ( yes, I would have preferred something nicer ). But I would think grivex can still take a lot of abuse, my main concern is the overall quality control on the knife ( ie lock works as designed , etc)

Is the Grivex handle really that bad ( yes, I would have preferred something nicer ). But I would think grivex can still take a lot of abuse, my main concern is the overall quality control on the knife ( ie lock works as designed , etc)
I don't think grivex is the issue. If they've made a completely new model with AUS10 and grivex handle no one would prob complain. I think the real issue here is CS taking an already well-made model in G10 and downgrade it to plastic. Sure it's probably still going to be a nice knife, but we know what it could have been.

I can understand the disappointment, just guessing it was a cost cutting measure. It sort of sounds like a Mossberg 500 (aluminum receiver) vs a Rem 870 (steel receiver) argument...both perform very well and have stood test of time. I could be totally wrong and I plan on seeing some honest reviews where the knife is pushed hard. If I could only ever purchase one more Cold Steel knife it would be the Mini Recon 1, been looking forward to it’s re-release. Wish I had grabbed one of the original versions, but glad it’s back.

I don’t really mind Grivex. It’s a fairly acceptable material based on my experience. It’s sturdy and grippy enough. I’d take bigger issue if they go with the cheapest steel available and manufacturing is moved to China. Which doesn’t seem to be in the case of the Mini Recon 1.

Basically IMHO CS is done, hate to say it ,but when you cant even do a resurrection right you may as well just call it what it is-if they would have come back with mini recon in at least g10 of different colors,in s35vn it would give you hope but they started bloodletting right off the bat with higher prices to boot-sorry guys just really bummed,good thing I stocked up starting about 4 yrs ago.

I don’t really mind Grivex. It’s a fairly acceptable material based on my experience. It’s sturdy and grippy enough. I’d take bigger issue if they go with the cheapest steel available and manufacturing is moved to China. Which doesn’t seem to be in the case of the Mini Recon 1.

Agree

Well, its over. The gatalogs are up. The description says GRN. No words about the liners.

Last edited:
I can't decide whether Cold Steel's website guy is just incapable or hilarious!
VLwTiY5.jpg

Back