Recommendation? Revolvers

The Bisley grip short-barrel SB’s are Lipsey exclusives. I believe the Talo editions all have the standard, plow-handle grip. I have the model 818, and it is a pleasure to shoot. Check out the Gunblast review of that model. If you can find one, consider picking it up. You can thank me later.

That 818 is a beast to find for sale. Haven’t been able to yet. I think the Bisley grip would make a world of difference, so as far as the 3.75” barrel BH’s go, I’ll skip the TALO (817) for a Lipseys Bisley (818). If I can find one. I may be out of luck and forced to go with a 4.62” barrel. If I do that I might as well save the money (until I start reloading, which I am seriously looking into thanks to all of you) and get a .357 or a .357/9mm convertible.

But man that 818 is one sweet looking pistol :D:thumbsup: and I bet a lighter .44spl round out of that thing is smooooooth :cool:;)

That 818 is a beast to find for sale. Haven’t been able to yet. I think the Bisley grip would make a world of difference, so as far as the 3.75” barrel BH’s go, I’ll skip the TALO (817) for a Lipseys Bisley (818). If I can find one. I may be out of luck and forced to go with a 4.62” barrel. If I do that I might as well save the money (until I start reloading, which I am seriously looking into thanks to all of you) and get a .357 or a .357/9mm convertible.

But man that 818 is one sweet looking pistol :D:thumbsup: and I bet a lighter .44spl round out of that thing is smooooooth :cool:;)

That combination would be easy to shoot with .44 special, it will be a handful with full magnum loads although with experience it isn't hard to shoot accurately. I have a young female friend who can handle one very well. The 3.75" barrel looks a bit short to my eyes, I like the 4 5/8" barrel length. Even the 4 5/8" barrel with standard blackhawk grip will roll in your hand enough to be painful after 6 magnum rounds. The Bisley will handle it much better.

Don't dismiss the recoil of a typical medium framed 357 mag revolver as being insignificant if you aren't used to it. Smaller framed 357's are worse. Recoil is something you have to learn to deal with.

Some of ya guys might enjoy this thread I did a while back bout cowboying.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cowboying-up-north.1584993/

In it a Russian BF member asked why we carry a gun on the ranch. Post #12 outlines that pretty well and might be worth a read for a lot of folks.

Lots of great guns mentioned here and I'd darn sure like to have each and every one in the safe for sure. However, I'd like to offer the opinion that the same gun you would take fishing or hiking in Alaska is not the same gun you would have horseback, long trotting 10 miles on a big circle. Just ain't, I've tried it. Unless ya attach it to the saddle which a lot of folks do but then ya don't have the gun with ya when ya get down, so might as well be a rifle. I use to do a lot of horse packing in big bear country and I wore that big Ruger Vaquero with heavy loads always and had a .45-70 Marling Guide Gun with Buffalo Bore .45-70 magnum loads in it under my leg. But that ain't ranching. My ranching partner has a Ruger SP 101 in .327 mag. He bought that to replace his Vaquero in .45 that was too heavy to carry. The Ruger .327 now lives under the truck seat, too heavy. He carries a svelte Colt 1903. The wife recently traded in her Shield and her Springfield EMP (well didn't trade em in, just stopped carrying em, I've carried that EMP quite a bit myself since then sweet piece) and replaced them with a Sig P365.

Not sure about your area but around here self defense from two legged varmints is becoming more and more. We recently found a whole crankster/meth head village up on top of a ridge we hadn't rode in the last couple of years. My buddy Tyler and I, with young Emma (the three of us had the big circle horses that day), were making a last sweep looking for remnants. Once we topped out on this ridge we saw this blue tarp tied up in a tree. We had Emma hang back and rotating the cylinder on our snake guns so that the snake shot was the last round not the first, Big Tyler rode in from one side and I rode in from the other. Fortunately, it had been abandoned for about a month according to the expiration date on a jug of milk in the ice chest we found. What really worried us was that we found a lot of young girls clothes scattered about including a ripped bra. Emma who was 16 at the time offered her more expert opinion than mine, that it was for a 12 to 14 year old girl. We were really concerned this might be kidnapping, rape kind of deal. Turned out not to be so once the SO did some investigating but phew, could of been a bad deal if we'd just rode into that unawares and they were home.

6TpbnLk.jpg

i4YyXj7.jpg

q63mOkE.jpg

9oFtCh4.jpg

RsR9EqP.jpg

CIUzouY.jpg

Bout a month later we were able to get some friends together and pack and drag all this shoot down the mountain to where we could get to it with a quad and then haul it to a truck. Took a whole truck load to the dump. The ranch bought everybody pizza and beer that night.

LBIoDGR.jpg

VGR29H2.jpg

kA8qeWV.jpg

Spoke to a friend that runs a nearby ranch. He recently found 5 miles of hose leading from a spring to an illegal grow on his place. Everybody I know has a story or two of similar. I know you guys there in the midwest are starting to have a meth epidemic like we have had for some years now.

So I'd still recommend that Mod 60 as a ranch gun. Small frame, so that you'll always have it with you, (not on the saddle, in the truck, on the quad or in the side by side, on you) and its not gonna beat ya to death long trotting a big circle or pull your pants down all the time fixing fence. A medium, very effective caliber (for your and my part of the lower 48 anyhoo), very versatile ammo choices (.38s, .38s+P and .357 from mild to wild), double action firing if necessary as well as single action ability for exacting shot placement on that coyote across the canyon. A little practice with a speed loader and you can reload very quickly. Much better than punching out those empties from a thumbbuster and reloading one at a time from a handful of loose cartridges in your pocket. Three inch barrel gives quite a bit more sight radius for accuracy than my little snubby and is a good compromise with carry-ability, its not gonna be rubbing on the cantle of your saddle and you have adjustable sights (which are always easier to shoot with, at least for me, at anything over belly gun distance). The round rubber grip absorbs recoil well and will conceal well if ya ever need to run to town for lunch or something. Just untuck your shirt. Win, win deal for me, been looking at em on Gunbroker myself.

.....Spoke to a friend that runs a nearby ranch. He recently found 5 miles of hose leading from a spring to an illegal grow on his place. Everybody I know has a story or two of similar. I know you guys there in the midwest are starting to have a meth epidemic like we have had for some years now.

So I'd still recommend that Mod 60 as a ranch gun. Small frame, so that you'll always have it with you, (not on the saddle, in the truck, on the quad or in the side by side, on you) and its not gonna beat ya to death long trotting a big circle or pull your pants down all the time fixing fence. A medium, very effective caliber (for your and my part of the lower 48 anyhoo), very versatile ammo choices (.38s, .38s+P and .357 from mild to wild), double action firing if necessary as well as single action ability for exacting shot placement on that coyote across the canyon. A little practice with a speed loader and you can reload very quickly. Much better than punching out those empties from a thumbbuster and reloading one at a time from a handful of loose cartridges in your pocket. Three inch barrel gives quite a bit more sight radius for accuracy than my little snubby and is a good compromise with carry-ability, its not gonna be rubbing on the cantle of your saddle and you have adjustable sights (which are always easier to shoot with, at least for me, at anything over belly gun distance). The round rubber grip absorbs recoil well and will conceal well if ya ever need to run to town for lunch or something. Just untuck your shirt. Win, win deal for me, been looking at em on Gunbroker myself.
This business of "camping" is a lot more common that you think. Just about every city has this issue. Drugs and drug related debris is not uncommon. The "meth epidemic" seems to be lessening but the drugs are still heavily used. The difference is that Mexican meth is cheaper and stronger in general than the homemade stuff without the significant risk of being caught because of buying characteristic components to make it. This is a continuing problem with homes that are for sale as you don't know what has been done there in the past and you can get stuck with a big cleanup bill if you don't do your homework.

I personally think the Ruger GP-100 or SP-101 are too heavy for regular carry. I have a Colt Detective Special that I like but seldom carry it because of the weight when there are other options available these days that are lighter but generally not as comfortable to shoot.

The S&W M60 is a good choice. For me, I would mostly shoot 38spl+P's in one except for the occasional need for more power. They don't call "magnums" magnums for nothing. I feel the same way about single actions as Horsewright. They are just fine in larger calibers, but I personally don't care for them in sub 40 caliber revolvers. They are great for hunting applications as you normally don't shoot more than once or the shots are slow. Most hunters are not going to shoot double action in the woods hunting unless it's a quick shot and in which case, one is enough or all you get in that scenario.

There is a lot of personal preference involved in choosing. It is hard to make a long term decision without much experience.

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more!!!!

Most people make the mistake of trying to carry too much gun, and will end ou leaving it at home after a while. About one pound is the limit of really convenient carry to the point that you will always, have the gun on you. It's no use back in the car or at hone. I'd rather be a little under armed than un-armed.

The J frames, and the small semi's ike the LCP, Kel-Tec, Sig's all make a fine level protection if they are there. A .38special or .380 will stop bad behavior just fine, as will any small gun, IF it's there. Low lifes don't like getting shot.

I don't know Jack about horses and ranching, but I do know back alleys and bad neighborhoods well. The worst nightmare of the bad guy is an armed victim. They run like hell from a gun pointing at them. Twice I've had them back off from a teeny North American Arms mini revolver. Street thugs are not paragons of courage under fire.

Reactions: BP_
Horsewright Horsewright and J jackknife both make good sense, it won’t help you if it’s too heavy or cumbersome to carry all day for its intended purpose, and you end up not packing it. It was an elk hunting trip in Idaho that I realized I needed an actual gun belt to haul my Super Blackhawk up and down mountains without pulling my pants down. I finally got tired of pulling my belt up when my buddy let me try his gun belt out. What a world of difference it made.
Deciding what gun to carry has a lot to do with accessibility, where I’m going, what I’m doing and do I need to conceal it or keep it exposed. But having it on me is the first and most important rule.
As far as running into two legged trouble, whether on private or public land. It just continues to get worse. As our population continues to grow so do the numbers of people who really don’t care about anything other than themselves, their next fix, acquiring what is yours and mine and possibly resorting to fear and violence in order to get it.

Ended up going with the GP100 with the 3” barrel. Has a Hogue grip already on it, and I grabbed an additional custom from Altamont just to check their comfort and quality. Thank you for the advice, the suggestions, and the experience. Thank you for the pictures and insight. I am grateful we have such a great community full of kind and generous people.

Pictures and impressions upcoming. Should be here by Friday, fingers crossed.

Got my sheath being made by Dave out at Horsewright Horsewright and I think that will round out the package nicely.

The Blackhawk is definitely next on the list in the upcoming months.

Ended up going with the GP100 with the 3” barrel. Has a Hogue grip already on it, and I grabbed an additional custom from Altamont just to check their comfort and quality. Thank you for the advice, the suggestions, and the experience. Thank you for the pictures and insight. I am grateful we have such a great community full of kind and generous people.

Got my sheath being made by Dave out at Horsewright Horsewright and I think that will round out the package nicely.

I don’t have one but a buddy does. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

If you raise your budget a little then I would suggest you Smith & Wesson Model 60. However, Colt Magnum Trooper Mark III and Colt Python could also be good options.

Great choice :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a 3" GP-100 and use it as a bed side gun. I have a holster for it and carry it on occasion in the woods/field. I've never tried to conceal it.

BP_ BP_ You made a good choice for general use and it will certainly make shooting full 357 mag loads more comfortable than the Smith M60. I generally just shoot 38spl's in mine now although at the beginning of ownership, I did shoot the full power 357 factory loads. It works both ways. The trigger will smooth out some with use. My chosen 357 that I shoot is a 6" Colt Trooper Mark III which has a fabulous trigger.

I think all around it will serve me pretty well. It will by no means be my only, but I think it was a solid place to start. I’ve heard the triggers smooth out pretty nice with some use/revolutions. I’m hoping it arrives today, but I may have to wait until Tuesday (my FFL is closed on Monday).

I bought some 357mags because I’d like to see how they shoot. I suspect I’ll plink mostly .38’s and carry the 357’s when I’m out and about.

I've owned several revolvers over the years. Frankly I like my CCO( the first model that COLT came out with) above all others. That being said my winter gun is a Taurus .44mag, 4" barrel in the Tracker Lite series. A good belt and a good holster and it isn't bad at all. I carry it when I am stump shooting with my longbow too. Conceals very well under my Woolrich Parka. I use Winchester Silver Tip's in it. Extremely controllable with that load and I put Hogue grips on it. Very well made handgun and excellent bluing on it. keepem sharp

Late to the party, but I love my GP100, it's probably my favorite handgun I've ever owned. I also like my little Naa .22mag, it's a good little pocket gun for trips to town and especially summer carry in shorts. I also carry it often for charming snakes around my property doing yard work.gp.jpg naa.jpg

Little update. Placed my order last Wednesday and it has still not arrived. Called the company to cancel so I can at least get my money back.... in 3 to 5 business days. The didn’t have an excuse as to why it hasn’t shipped yet.

Last edited:
Happy Update:

Finally got it. I’m quite certain I will be more than happy. I liked the Hogue grips, but they were kinda big and bulky for my taste. Put these on this evening when I brought it home from the gun store, I like them a lot better. Very comfortable and mated up pretty well. Thanks again. Waiting on my holster for it now :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
D83A7705-5718-470D-A390-7ED7A9BDAE0B.jpeg

Looks good. Noticed that there is not rear adjustable sight. My 3" has an adjustable sight.

Back