Recommendation? Revolvers

Also, my OL’s family is from Alaska. It would be nice to take with me up there. Not sure a .357 would be “enough” on a hike or a camping trip, but then again I’ve never owned one or put an animal of any kind to bed with one. But I suppose that’s also a good reason to pick up a .357 now, and a bigger bore later down the line when we travel north :D:rolleyes:

Thank you for the write up, I completely agree about caliber and not getting something I don’t have experience with. When I get off work this afternoon I’m actually headed to the gun shop. Going to shoot a .44mag .44spl and .357mag to compare. I do like the idea of the 357/38 versatility, but if .44spl loads are smooth and relatively easy to shoot I don’t see why I wouldn’t have a .44mag to have the option of using the bigger loads. I know I’d never want for more power that way as well. But if the .357 is the most comfortable that is what I will get.

Good plan but also do a little technical reading on the rounds (not internet chat stuff, crazy how many armchair experts are out there who clearly don’t know what they are talking about...and I’m NOT referring to present company, 22-rim fire and eveled are both offering sound advice). Compare the .357 mag w/ the .44 Special in terms of velocity, energy, and weight of slug...look at what is available in factory ammo unless you reload. If you reload, consider .45 Blackhawk as well. Also think about your intended target...what are you trying to “put down” on your range walks. In lower 48 the .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 Special, and .45 Colt (w/ hand loads or Buffalo Bore in RUGER ONLY) will all get the job done. If you want more than six rounds, there are some awesome .357 DA revolvers out there w/ larger capacity cylinders...they ain’t cheap though.

You want a short barrel from what I see. The .357 has a much louder report than the .44 Special...for general shooting, I prefer the .44 Special which will deliver a bigger slug at quite competent velocities...I had a .357 Blackhawk with a 5.5” barrel, never found much use for .38 as it is really only good for small game and plinking. My Super Single Six with .22 mags filled that role better, so I sold the .357 and bought the Super Blackhawk and I’ve never looked back. For general outdoor use, I find the .22/.22 mag convertible SA and the .44 Rem Mag/.44 Special SA all I need.

New Model Blackhawk® Bisley™
5235.jpg

• Lipsey's Distributor Exclusive
    • Model Number: 5235
    • Caliber: 44 Special
    • GripsBisley Black Laminate
    • Front SightRamp
    • Barrel Length5.50"13.9 cm
    • MaterialAlloy Steel
    • Capacity6
    • Rear SightAdjustable
    • Twist1:20" RH
    • FinishBlued
    • Overall Length12"30.4 cm
    • Weight45 oz.1.27 kg
    • Grooves6
    • Available in CAYes
    • Available in MANo

Last edited:
Reactions: BP_
I was responding to a message on previous page of this thread and there was no clue my messages were uploading...so sorry

Last edited:
Super GP100®
2.jpg

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 6.jpg

• Model Number: 5065
    • Caliber: 357 Mag
    • GripsHogue® Hand-Finished Hardwood
    • Front SightFiber Optic
    • Rear SightAdjustable
    • Weight47 oz.1.33 kg
    • Capacity8
    • MaterialStainless Steel
    • FinishPVD
    • Twist1:16" RH
    • Grooves8
    • Overall Length11"27.9 cm
    • Barrel Length5.50"13.9 cm
    • Available in CAYes
    • Available in MANo
    • Suggested Retail$1549.00

Last edited:
New Model Super Blackhawk® Bisley™
0818.jpg

• Model Number: 0818
    • Caliber: 44 Rem Mag
    • Front SightRamp
    • Barrel Length3.75"95 mm
    • Capacity6
    • Rear SightAdjustable
    • FinishSatin Stainless
    • Overall Length9.63"24.4 cm
    • Weight44 oz.1.24 kg
    • Grooves6
    • Available in CAYes
    • Available in MANo

Last edited:
Good plan but also do a little technical reading on the rounds (not internet chat stuff, crazy how many armchair experts are out there who clearly don’t know what they are talking about...and I’m NOT referring to present company, 22-rim fire and eveled are both offering sound advice). Compare the .357 mag w/ the .44 Special in terms of velocity, energy, and weight of slug...look at what is available in factory ammo unless you reload. If you reload, consider .45 Blackhawk as well. Also think about your intended target...what are you trying to “put down” on your range walks. In lower 48 the .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 Special, and .45 Colt (w/ hand loads or Buffalo Bore in RUGER ONLY) will all get the job done. If you want more than six rounds, there are some awesome .357 DA revolvers out there w/ larger capacity cylinders...they ain’t cheap though.

You want a short barrel from what I see. The .357 has a much louder report than the .44 Special...for general shooting, I prefer the .44 Special which will deliver a bigger slug at quite competent velocities...I had a .357 Blackhawk with a 5.5” barrel, never found much use for .38 as it is really only good for small game and plinking. My Super Single Six with .22 mags filled that role better, so I sold the .357 and bought the Super Blackhawk and I’ve never looked back. For general outdoor use, I find the .22/.22 mag convertible SA and the .44 Rem Mag/.44 Special SA all I need.

I don’t reload, but after doing some reading and listening to you guys I have considered it. I feel I’m perfectly capable, so it will more than likely be a road I travel at some point. Not necessarily right now, but it’s been added to my short list. I find it fairly interesting, and think it would be nice to have more control over each round the way I’d like it to be.

New Model Super Blackhawk® Bisley™
0818.jpg

• Model Number: 0818
    • Caliber: 44 Rem Mag
    • Front SightRamp
    • Barrel Length3.75"95 mm
    • Capacity6
    • Rear SightAdjustable
    • FinishSatin Stainless
    • Overall Length9.63"24.4 cm
    • Weight44 oz.1.24 kg
    • Grooves6
    • Available in CAYes
    • Available in MANo

That’s the one right there. Something just attracts me to it. How does that shorter barrel handle those big loads? I imagine I’d be using plenty of .44 special if I went that route anyway. I’ve heard more than once they’re smooth and less recoil than the .357mag, I don’t know if that’s entirely true (?) but I’ve heard it a few times. Especially with even thinking about beginning to load my own.

What is the difference between the Bisley and the TALO editions?

The Bisley grip short-barrel SB’s are Lipsey exclusives. I believe the Talo editions all have the standard, plow-handle grip. I have the model 818, and it is a pleasure to shoot. Check out the Gunblast review of that model. If you can find one, consider picking it up. You can thank me later.

The Bisley grip short-barrel SB’s are Lipsey exclusives. I believe the Talo editions all have the standard, plow-handle grip. I have the model 818, and it is a pleasure to shoot. Check out the Gunblast review of that model. If you can find one, consider picking it up. You can thank me later.

What is the difference between the Bisley grip and the “plow handle” grip? How would I go about getting one of those versions instead?
I have read that they are easier on the hands and make shooting it a pleasure and you seem to agree. Pretty interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Many shooters prefer the longer Bisley grip on higher recoiling rounds. I would choose it if I could.

Also, my OL’s family is from Alaska. It would be nice to take with me up there. Not sure a .357 would be “enough” on a hike or a camping trip, but then again I’ve never owned one or put an animal of any kind to bed with one. But I suppose that’s also a good reason to pick up a .357 now, and a bigger bore later down the line when we travel north :D:rolleyes:
A 357 is big enough for black bears and other smaller creatures (wolves, feral dogs, cougar and so forth). For big bears (brown's and grizzly) I would choose a quick pointing rifle. Some go larger than 44 mag in a handgun. My personal choice would be my standard 41 mag revolver from existing revolvers, or pickup of a Ruger Alaskan in 480 Ruger. They are designed for up close and personal encounters. People say they aren't too bad to shoot in either 454 Casull or 480 Ruger, but I would go for the larger diameter bullet in the 480. My 480's are too bulky to lug around just hiking. No handgun is really powerful enough to put down a charging bear intent on killing you quickly enough that you wouldn't be at least injured (except a lucky shot).

Last edited:
I don’t reload, but after doing some reading and listening to you guys I have considered it. I feel I’m perfectly capable, so it will more than likely be a road I travel at some point. Not necessarily right now, but it’s been added to my short list. I find it fairly interesting, and think it would be nice to have more control over each round the way I’d like it to be.

If you find yourself shooting more, you may want to try reloading. There are ways to get into it very cheap (usually slower). Or for a bit more, can get something that can pump out volume. I'm a blue machine guy, but many other sweet set ups out there. I first started about 25 years ago when I was frequenting IPSC matches. So it was all about the quickest (but affordable to me at the time) way to pump out enough practice and match rounds needed each week. But as my volume needs became less, reloading became a hobby of its own.

Before I knew it, I was tweaking loads, trying different powders and bullets, etc. And instead of just filling up the range bag with a thousand loose rounds, I started buying the little hundred round Tupperware ammo boxes, and documenting the exact recipe and component combo on each box. Yeah, got a bit excessive, but a ton of fun nonetheless.

It sounds like the OP has narrowed interest down to small group, so I'll just throw these out for giggles.

It's not the size, but how you use it. :D I give you.....the Mountain Gun! It's so light and nimble, but the bear never had a chance.....of missing a meal.

Z7IlUle.jpg

And if you are into lugging around boat anchors, there are plenty of Judges for sale. Then you can mix and match .410 birdshot for snakes, with .45 Colt for bigger pests. I carried mine for a whole week once, while vacationing in Montana. Don't think it's been out of the safe since. :p

XCXcQCv.jpg

And if you are ever toting around a pocket pistol, you may as well add a pocket cannon and crossbow to the load out. :eek:

L097UJl.jpg

You don’t need to start right away, just start saving brass.

You don’t need to start right away, just start saving brass.

Yes! Good point. Pick up and save all of your brass just in case you may ever want to reload. In fact, I actually pick up almost every brass I find, no matter the caliber. Calibers you'll never reload can be used to trade with others at the range/matches.

Select a cartridge first. I suggest the .357 Mag. Then a barrel length. I suggest 4". Then the handgun. That said, I carry a S&W M13.

Select a cartridge first. I suggest the .357 Mag. Then a barrel length. I suggest 4". Then the handgun. That said, I carry a S&W M13.
S%2526W%2520M13.JPG

Back