Recommendation? Revolvers

Looks good. Noticed that there is not rear adjustable sight. My 3" has an adjustable sight.

Noticed that myself once I got it in hand. Sights upcoming, I’d just like to shoot it a bit and get a feel for it :thumbsup:

Congrats. Whats the story, cancel then gun shows up? Story there somewhere. Finishing sheaths for a batch of knives over the next couple of days and then hitting misc leather orders. Doesn't take too long once I get to an order in the queue.

Reactions: BP_
Congrats. Whats the story, cancel then gun shows up? Story there somewhere. Finishing sheaths for a batch of knives over the next couple of days and then hitting misc leather orders. Doesn't take too long once I get to an order in the queue.

Ended up going another route. Quicker and easier. Cost me a few more dollars, but I’m satisfied with peace of mind.

Looking forward to it, I think they will go together well :thumbsup:

I have always wanted rear adjustable sights on a revolver for everything except concealed carry. But from a practical point of view, I almost never adjusted the sights after the initial use. I frankly could never tell if "it was me" or "the sights" as far as how well I shot at distance with a revolver. There are a lot of factors that influence where a bullet impacts on a target and most are shooter related.

Years ago, I was at a gun show and saw what appeared to be a near perfect Colt Cobra 22 revolver in the box. I handled it and we discussed pricing... bought it. I was thrilled with the purchase. Got home and was looking it over carefully and discovered that the previous owner had scratched his initials into the bottom strap (bottom of grip) with an electric pencil. That took a collector gun instantly to a shooter..... so goes the inspection process. We sometimes see what we want to see when we look at something to purchase.

Last edited:
Happy Update:

Finally got it. I’m quite certain I will be more than happy. I liked the Hogue grips, but they were kinda big and bulky for my taste. Put these on this evening when I brought it home from the gun store, I like them a lot better. Very comfortable and mated up pretty well. Thanks again. Waiting on my holster for it now :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
View attachment 1266153

Congrats!

Great looking gun! What aftermarket grips are those?

Congrats!

Great looking gun! What aftermarket grips are those?

Thank you. It’s grown on me the more I handle it. Those are a pair of walnut grips from Altamont. They’re pretty comfortable and fit well, I like them so far :thumbsup:

Congratulations on the GP100, I just got my first one two weeks ago. I've owned quite a few revolvers over the years and recently got back into them. I first bought a Ruger Single Seven in 327 Fed Mag, fell in love with the cartridge. Then came a Henry carbine, same caliber. So, naturally, my GP100 is a 4.2" in 327. Like you I didn't care for the grip and replaced it with Altamont. I, also, changed out the front sight, wanted to try a fibre optic, like it on my shotgun. Love the ease of changing the sight on these Rugers.

Next up will be a Single Seven, birdshead, 3.75". Can't keep having Grabagun show up on my wife's Discover statement.LOL

large.jpg

The final result:
large.jpg

View attachment 1268205
i have a fixed sight GP100 with a bobbed speed hammer. It’s a nice gun for sure. I have the factory grips on it. The fixed sight GP have smaller grips than the adjustable sighted ones. The inserts are the same size as the ones for an SP101.

Glad you got a nice gun. It’s gonna treat you good.

BP_ BP_ Got a package heading your way come morning. Thought ya might like a few pics of how everything came together. So starting on your water buffalo leather belt.

mOcMxVb.jpg

When I can I will always work in groups, so for instance when I made your belt I also made two others that I had orders for because all the techniques are the same. When I made your holster I made two knife sheaths at the same time as the techniques are similar. Here it has my makers mark and the stitching groove all cut.

2shlEUj.jpg

Glue on all three linings:

3Jb5McX.jpg

Got em sewed up, trimmed the linings, sand the edges smooth and now edging the edges:

Ha8gtoF.jpg

Rub the edges and finish, put on the buckles and call er good:

U91slAJ.jpg

SffRZVN.jpg

Then on to the holster and the sheaths. Got the parts cut and the stitching lines marked:

fJorofs.jpg

Glued up and ready for sewing:

ZBRrBa4.jpg

All done sewing and trim the threads with that soldering iron.

vXWtCwI.jpg

In the water until it sinks and then trim excess and punch the slots, sand and edge the edges:

a9pCRjf.jpg

SHhIzwD.jpg

Then mold it to the gun. Back first and then the front. I have a 6" Gp 100 I borrowed from my buddy. But thats easy just stick 3 " of bbl out:

hhDnb6R.jpg

n05sIC5.jpg

Take the Ruger out, wipe it down and stick the holster and the sheath in the oven at 178 degrees for three hours. Don't try this at home kids easy to make holster jerky if ya don't do it right. Pull er out, light coat of pure neatsfoot oil and let er dry on the kitchen counter over night:

gNBUnin.jpg

Next morning rub the edges and put the finish on and we're good to go:

oOi7eaV.jpg

dTILhJu.jpg

Package and ship. Thanks for the order!

Oq4Won6.jpg

BP_ BP_ Got a package heading your way come morning. Thought ya might like a few pics of how everything came together. So starting on your water buffalo leather belt.

mOcMxVb.jpg

When I can I will always work in groups, so for instance when I made your belt I also made two others that I had orders for because all the techniques are the same. When I made your holster I made two knife sheaths at the same time as the techniques are similar. Here it has my makers mark and the stitching groove all cut.

2shlEUj.jpg

Glue on all three linings:

3Jb5McX.jpg

Got em sewed up, trimmed the linings, sand the edges smooth and now edging the edges:

Ha8gtoF.jpg

Rub the edges and finish, put on the buckles and call er good:

U91slAJ.jpg

SffRZVN.jpg

Then on to the holster and the sheaths. Got the parts cut and the stitching lines marked:

fJorofs.jpg

Glued up and ready for sewing:

ZBRrBa4.jpg

All done sewing and trim the threads with that soldering iron.

vXWtCwI.jpg

In the water until it sinks and then trim excess and punch the slots, sand and edge the edges:

a9pCRjf.jpg

SHhIzwD.jpg

Then mold it to the gun. Back first and then the front. I have a 6" Gp 100 I borrowed from my buddy. But thats easy just stick 3 " of bbl out:

hhDnb6R.jpg

n05sIC5.jpg

Take the Ruger out, wipe it down and stick the holster and the sheath in the oven at 178 degrees for three hours. Don't try this at home kids easy to make holster jerky if ya don't do it right. Pull er out, light coat of pure neatsfoot oil and let er dry on the kitchen counter over night:

gNBUnin.jpg

Next morning rub the edges and put the finish on and we're good to go:

oOi7eaV.jpg

dTILhJu.jpg

Package and ship. Thanks for the order!

Oq4Won6.jpg

They all came out beautifully! I’m a bit biased as I think both mine are just exceptional. I’m excited just seeing the pictures, they came out even better than I already imagined they would. I can’t thank you enough, your work is second to none. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That little black handled damascus blade sure looks good, too.. any info on that? Looks like it fits right in like it’s supposed to be there, in the pictures.

They all came out beautifully! I’m a bit biased as I think both mine are just exceptional. I’m excited just seeing the pictures, they came out even better than I already imagined they would. I can’t thank you enough, your work is second to none. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That little black handled damascus blade sure looks good, too.. any info on that? Looks like it fits right in like it’s supposed to be there, in the pictures.

Thanks for the kind words! And the order too of course. Both of those knives were In Stock knives that I had on the website. The little damascus one is called a Poco and is handled in black linen micarta (cause I had a small piece left over from another project). Poco is Dave Spanish for not enough steel left over to make a Gordo. When I sell my In Stock knives they come with a sheath already. But the customer has the option of ordering an additional sheath in a different style if they so choose. Thats why we were building these two sheaths. The olivewood handled knife is a Vaquero. That one is out of 26C3 high carbon steel and was clay coated during heat treat and finished with what I call a working hamon.

TX299Wa.jpg

OhVPYJv.jpg

yCaWiOn.jpg

tOfbzMN.jpg

We put that knife on the website late one night and I got a call buying it at 0530 the next morning. Had even finished my first cup of coffee yet. It's going to Wyoming in the morning. Not sure where the olivewood Vaquero is going.

First time poster in this thread but I have been lurking and reading since I was also in the market for my first (never owned but have shot and I admit that I'm terrible but have great upside :) well at least I'm blessed with a copious abundance of confidence :D).

A bit of bio: I live in densely populated So. Cal and already own a few firearms (handguns and shotguns combined) so by no means I feel "under gunned" for my locale but I do own a piece of undeveloped land on the northern tip of the state bordering OR. The idea was for me to spend more time over there and start putting ip a structure of sort, but I don't foresee that happening anytime soon and in fact I may sell and look elsewhere because I'm not into moist and wet weather. I enjoy the majesty of the Redwoods but honestly, I prefer the cold and crisp weather of the big blue skies (high desert) much better; what can I say, I despise soggy and wet so I am prepared to forego the green landscape and the river :(

Back to topic, been flirting with smaller snubbies based on S&W J-frames and also Ruger SP101, bobbed hammer for CCW and that sorta stuff but finally decided against them for now for my first although not discounting adding in the future. Living in the gun restrictive state of CA, I still prefer to buy locally as opposed to ordering online and doing FFL for two reasons: one that I like to support the local guy even though I know that it may be costing me a good $50-$100 more and second reason being that I like to touch, feel and inspect what's in stock or have the local dealer order it and make his profit on me as opposed to me ordering, FFL'ing and then sending it back in case the workmanship is a dud.

OK now to cut through the chase, I finally played down the money and started paperwork on a S&W 686-6 SSR which I have had my dirty eyes on for a good while and what prompted me to pull the proverbial and pun-intended trigger was the fact that it finally went on sale (I know, not the best of criteria but what can I say other than admit of being a bit of a mooch and an avid deal hunter). In the running were also a 686-7 Deluxe and a Ruger GP Match Champ, all in the mid $8s. The others which I passed on had the more traditional and probably more desirable polished SS finish vs the bead blasted SS finish of the SSR but the latter was actually a winning factor for me because I saw more flaws in the polished finishes which didn't appeal to my scrutinizing eyes.

So here we are till the 10 days CA-DOJ background process gets completed before I can go pick her up next week. In the meantime, I am reading more as I'm both a wonk and a geek. The idea is that this is going to be my "CCW-in-the-truck" handgun in addition to my home defense handgun (I also own two others: CZ 75 P0-1 9mm and Beretta 84B Cheetah .380 both of which I shoot well). I do NOT do vehicle CCW carry here in CA but I am going to be getting a none-resident UT CCW permit which is supposedly reciprocated in 34 other states of the Union (not CA, not OR and not NV, IIRC). I will be road-tripping to some other SW states looking for a piece of property hence the idea of this 4" barrel revolver as my stowed away passenger (ultimately went with 4" vs 3 or 6 inches as research shoed that this was going to be the sweet spot barrel length for me and my intended application). I have looked up Mr. Horsewright's website for hip / over shoulders holsters but maybe not looking in the right places as I didn't see in-stock options so I assumed that it's a custom order type of deal. I will need a holster as my "brush" or out-in-the-boonies carry where my permit should allow but obviously I will have to read up meticulously on such laws of each individual state which I shall be traversing. Lastly and MOST crucially, please recommend which gun owners' insurance companies some are you are with and whom are recommended? Some of them are totally crap and for the monthly they charge, I very much doubt t that they are worth the paper. For the better ones, I know that I will have to pay a pretty good chunk of change annually and I am not scared about it.

Thank you for bearing with me if you have made it to here ;)

Is this insurance for theft, or just in case you happen to protect yourself and shoot somebody insurance? If it's the first one homeowners insurance renters insurance good good serial numbers and pictures. If it's the latter, I wouldn't waste my time. That's just me though.
This should get interesting. kind of interested to see exactly what everybody else's take on this is.

Good deal! Glad ya got something in jail. Always a long ten days. Yeah most of my holsters are a custom deal. We'll occasionally have a couple stock holsters on the site but mostly custom.

I'm very interested in the GP100. How is the accuracy with the .327 fed mag? I'm thinking 6" barrel. I've heard it's very loud.

It's odd, .357 mag is one of the few mainstream pistol cartridges I haven't shot.

I shoot .38, 9mm, and .40 regularly. I've shot .500 S&W, .45-70, and .44 mag as far as larger calibers go revolver wise.

Is this insurance for theft, or just in case you happen to protect yourself and shoot somebody insurance? If it's the first one homeowners insurance renters insurance good good serial numbers and pictures. If it's the latter, I wouldn't waste my time. That's just me though.
This should get interesting. kind of interested to see exactly what everybody else's take on this is.

Definitely the latter. As I had stated before, I looked into some of the insurances which claim to cover that area but to me, they were not worth the paper and a total waste of the ~ $15 monthly premium pittance. Gun laws vary vastly from state to state, but here in Cali, cases of home defense using deadly force by the home owner can become a financially ruinous saga.

I know, I know; move outta Cali and so forth but not an option at the present time but maybe in a few years ;)

Good deal! Glad ya got something in jail. Always a long ten days. Yeah most of my holsters are a custom deal. We'll occasionally have a couple stock holsters on the site but mostly custom.

Sir, I had to think about your post for more than a minute (the jail comment, LOL). That is what I had thought not seeing the pattern in your already in-stock offerings but still took the liberty to ask. Do you happen to use some form of a mold/cast or whatever the correct term, is or do you need each individual gun to ensure the correct & proper fit? I really ought to look up your website again for FAQ instead of badgering you in here ;)

Sir, I had to think about your post for more than a minute (the jail comment, LOL). That is what I had thought not seeing the pattern in your already in-stock offerings but still took the liberty to ask. Do you happen to use some form of a mold/cast or whatever the correct term, is or do you need each individual gun to ensure the correct & proper fit? I really ought to look up your website again for FAQ instead of badgering you in here ;)

Badger away Californio compadre. Depends on the holster style. For the pancake style holsters yes. But I can get most common guns in a Bluegun mold. Had very few I havn't been able to get a mold for. So I don't need the actual gun no. 98 percent of the time.

Definitely the latter. As I had stated before, I looked into some of the insurances which claim to cover that area but to me, they were not worth the paper and a total waste of the ~ $15 monthly premium pittance. Gun laws vary vastly from state to state, but here in Cali, cases of home defense using deadly force by the home owner can become a financially ruinous saga.

I know, I know; move outta Cali and so forth but not an option at the present time but maybe in a few years ;)
That's what I thought.
I don't think it's as common occurrence as the insurance companies would have you believe.
I worked as a CCW admin for a Sheriff's department here and never saw one come up, for a few years.
I have spoken to a few agents that insisted that as soon as you shoot somebody it would be an issue though.
But they were selling something.
If someone is selling lifeboats, it's a hard fact that the boat you're on is going to sink, and the only thing that'll save you is his lifeboat.
I'd say look into it before you put down the "pittance" especially if it's a direct withdraw, kinda like a gym membership you forget about.

^ Yessir :thumbsup:

I’m no spring chicken at the ripe age of 56, so it will be difficult for someone to pull the proverbial wool over my eyes by peddling to the fear factor and the consequences of what-ifs-could’ve-should’ve-would’ves! I was just wondering if anyone else had concerns or had looked into this and it appears that it’s not an overtly major concern by the apparent lack of participation.

Back