Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I have heard RR's steel claimed to be 440A, but most likely it's an Asian equivalent, such as 7Cr17MoV. It has a good reputation, whatever it is.

Concur. The Chinese steel mills don't make 440A. I've had several conversations with a tech rep from Sandvik. He had made a number of business trips to China. The Chinese mills make alloys to their own specs. To get actual 440A, it would have to be imported.

That being said, the composition of 7Cr17MoV is pretty close to that of 440A. Which is not to say that I know what alloy is being used for RR.

Many of my Rough Riders have a blade etch that reads, "440 razor sharp steel". I know virtually nothing about various steels, so I don't know what, if anything, the etch implies.

- GT

Nobody wanted this so I gave it a home. I got tired of seeing it at the flea market week after week. It's the first one I own in this pattern.

image.jpg1_zpsgiqx3tro.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That looks like a knife you'd see in a Popeye cartoon. :D
Nice of you to give it a home, how big is it?

Many of my Rough Riders have a blade etch that reads, "440 razor sharp steel". I know virtually nothing about various steels, so I don't know what, if anything, the etch implies.

- GT

same here, and they really are razor sharp. hair popping. had quite a few accidents with rough riders, steel warriors and the like. i dont know what the steel composition is, but it sure has improved over time.

Why you throwing off on my knife? Lol. I always thought they were funky looking too! As mr fishhunter stated about "3.5 closed. I can't see it getting any pocket time but i didnt have one. ;)

Why you throwing off on my knife? Lol. I always thought they were funky looking too! As mr fishhunter stated about "3.5 closed. I can't see it getting any pocket time but i didnt have one. ;)

:D I didn't mean that in a bad way.
Sometimes (if it's inexpensive enough) I'll pick up a knife just because it's unusual. Then I try to think of what use I could have for it. Maybe shucking oysters?

I'd never consider spending money for something like a GEC sunfish/elephant's toenail, but heck, for $10 I guess it can't hurt. If the blades are the same thickness at the spine compared to a typical RR I imagine it'd make a particularly good slicer.

I'd never consider spending money for something like a GEC sunfish/elephant's toenail, but heck, for $10 I guess it can't hurt. If the blades are the same thickness at the spine compared to a typical RR I imagine it'd make a particularly good slicer.

I traded off my baby sunfish. It never got any pocket time; I like the large better, and it does get pocket time.
Anyway, I don't recall the blade thickness at the spine in the baby, but I just measured my large.
The main blade is a hair over 2mm. The secondary is right at 1.5 mm.
It is quite capable of making thin slices in tomatos or olives.
Amazingly, the large Rough Rider sunfish, at 4.25 inches closed, does not print in your pocket, like a skinnier knife the same length does.

GasMan1's post spurred my curiosity. I don't have any examples of sunfish or elephant toe knives in my collection. I looked around a bit and found this lot of 2 large sunfish and an elephant toe! Nice to be able to fill those holes in my collection with a single purchase. I especially like the sawcut bone and grooved bolsters on the elephant toe.

GasMan1's post spurred my curiosity. I don't have any examples of sunfish or elephant toe knives in my collection. I looked around a bit and found this lot of 2 large sunfish and an elephant toe! Nice to be able to fill those holes in my collection with a single purchase. I especially like the sawcut bone and grooved bolsters on the elephant toe.

Very nice examples.

Here's my latest Rough Rider, a RR 157 Stag Congress. Beautiful knife for the money, all the fit & finish expected from a RR knife, and very nice genuine stag handles ta boot. All blades are tight & sharp, no rubbing or wiggling, feels heavy in the hand, snaps like a dragon. Only issue I have is getting the pen blade open, probably due to stiff springs, (and how bad is that?), but other than that it's a good, usable pocket knife.
It continues to amaze me how much knife you can get for under $15 nowadays. A domestic equivalent would be so expensive I'd be wary of carrying it, not so this knife. Can't wait for this one to develop some pocket wear.

Just got this small barlow. Really suprised with the quality of these knives for the price.

A59DEEEE-C3F3-4071-B3A0-200820307A37.jpg

1FCE04C8-705E-4076-9343-9A3753D76497.jpg

Looks like a new shield type on that Stockman ?

Really nice the small Barlow also, I think it would be better without the shield though, I personally prefer Barlow handles unadorned. The stamped RR bolster is very well done though, far better than the cheap etchings you can find on other makers'.

Back