Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Thanks for the kind words, Rachel & skyhorse & Dave. :) My ordering the Colt stag knives wasn't much of a gamble, because I'd been impressed with the examples I saw in this thread. Rachel, your Kissing Cranes is really nice! :thumbup: Has that brand been replaced by Robert Klaas now?

The Colt stag canoe IS very likable, Sonny! :thumbup:

Great job of tuning the blades to suit your purposes, Blake! :cool:

- GT

Thank you Sir, I look after my others. I couldn't do these things to my stockmen, they're too beautiful for that. :thumbup:

A Crowing Rooster I've had in my collection for quite some time, I wish I had bought more when they were so cheap.

DSCN7815_zpsxwqu0lwf.jpg

. Rachel, your Kissing Cranes is really nice! :thumbup: Has that brand been replaced by Robert Klaas now?

- GT

Thanks, Gary. The tang stamp says: R. Klaas since 1834 along with the kissing crane image, and was made in China. But I believe there are also Klaas knives still being made in Germany. I think it's one of those confusing brands like Boker, with a number of product lines assembled in various countries.

I just got a Marbles Sowbelly in Rams Horn at the big knife store in the Smoky Mountains. It appears to be the same frame as the Colt black stag sowbelly. They along with the RR are all made in the same factory. They had all patterns in the marbles line but only a canoe and lady's leg in ram horn in the RR line in the store. The fit in finish is very good and the main blade is frosted with reverse etch of Rams Horn.

I just got a Marbles Sowbelly in Rams Horn at the big knife store in the Smoky Mountains. It appears to be the same frame as the Colt black stag sowbelly. They along with the RR are all made in the same factory. They had all patterns in the marbles line but only a canoe and lady's leg in ram horn in the RR line in the store. The fit in finish is very good and the main blade is frosted with reverse etch of Rams Horn.

I was wondering about those Marbles. Did you actually visit the place? What did you think? I was in knifeaholic heaven when I visited, never realized it was so big...huge actually.

Thanks, Gary. The tang stamp says: R. Klaas since 1834 along with the kissing crane image, and was made in China. But I believe there are also Klaas knives still being made in Germany. I think it's one of those confusing brands like Boker, with a number of product lines assembled in various countries.
Thanks for your input, Rachel. I have only a small Robert Klaas canoe, made in China, with no indication of a connection to kissing cranes. My canoe is a very nice knife, though, and I'm almost certain I'll be getting more knives from Robert Klaas eventually.
F5lMf3T.jpg

I'd appreciate photos if you've got 'em, winchester - thanks!
I recently got a Marbles ram's horn pruner, which seems to be a very solid, well-made knife.
lX06bnF.jpg

yz4ZpfQ.jpg

You might notice that the pile side horn is kind of "flaking", though. Here's a closer view of the pile side:
nSLzzYx.jpg

Anyone have experience with/opinions about lightly sanding ram's horn to remove/eliminate flaking?

I also ordered a "ram's horn" Rough Rider canoe, but didn't pay close enough attention to the ad copy, which clearly states that the covers are "ram's horn bone". In other words, it's not ram's horn at all, but bone processed to simulate ram's horn (thus similar to the situation with "stag bone"). But I think it actually looks quite realistic, although if you get close enough, it's easy to see the jigging marks. Some photos:
yFdSrSK.jpg

3r4oo99.jpg

vdu4JTb.jpg

Pics in the sunlight reveal the jigged bone nature of the covers:
N9QJ8rK.jpg

M64TqQQ.jpg

I know it's only ram's horn bone, but I like it, like it, yes I do!! (Apologies to the Rolling Stones. :rolleyes:)

Sonny 14 yes I actually went to the store. I don't live far from it, about 30-45min. away. I camp frequently at Douglas Dam and it is not far from the store at all. Also hike in the Smokys and always stop there.

5K Os I never noticed when I looked at the RR's. I am looking at the stores website now and the RR's do say rams horn bone but the Marbles Sowbelly stockman and your hawkbill say genuine rams horn, funny the RR and Marbles are the same price. Since I was at the store I had them pull five before settling on one.I noticed while looking at these that there are Robert Klass alipjoints also in arms horn.

Last edited:
I ordered a few silly knives this week. A sparkly gold Rough Rider Stockman.

I could do without the blade etches, but it's a very solid knife.

And a Novelty Barlow with nifty "looking glass" scales, with a tiny get-the-balls-in-the-holes game. I'll have to see if the blades will take a sharp edge, but for $5, it was worth the gamble.

I ordered a few silly knives this week. A sparkly gold Rough Rider Stockman.
And a Novelty Barlow with nifty "looking glass" scales, with a tiny get-the-balls-in-the-holes game. I'll have to see if the blades will take a sharp edge, but for $5, it was worth the gamble.

You say "silly", but I say "sublime"!! :p Congrats on the new knives! :thumbup::thumbup:

- GT

You say "silly", but I say "sublime"!! :p Congrats on the new knives! :thumbup::thumbup:

- GT

Thanks! It's because of your suggestion in another thread I went looking for the gold glitter to compare with Grandpa's sparkly Peanut. The gold flakes are much bigger in the Rough Rider, more like Goldschläger liqueur than '70s motorcycle helmet. :D

You're right, a lot of brands can be confusing nowadays. I've seen some of the less expensive made in China brands with really nice looking scales , although only in pictures.

Rough Rider medium stockman in red jigged bone. Lovely solid folder with a nice chunky feel. Good walk and talk, fit and finish and all that, just as I've come to expect from Rough Rider knives: I.E. of a standard way beyond their price-point. Minor deficiencies include uneven bevels to main blade, causing me to scratch the blade slightly putting right on the stone; will most likely polish out on the polishing wheel at work next week, but these are users for me so I'm not that bothered. There's also a small amount of discolouration to the edge of the red jigged bone on the opposite side to the one pictured: again not bothered, nothing you wouldn't expect from an item incorporating natural materials. The colour in general is a dark wine red which is actually very nice. I plan to alternate this one with the RR clip-point whittler I currently use at work, them being that much more robust than the smaller RR stockman, which fall down a little when it comes to larger jobs such as cutting rope and cable ties etc. A great knife, completing the set: small, medium and large. :):thumbup:

Untitled by Blake Blade, on FlickrUntitled by Blake Blade, on Flickr

Last edited:
Received my Colt two blade gun stock knife through the post today and am really pleased with it. I've been looking at this pattern for a while now and have been shocked at the prices of the few models that are available, ranging from between £90.00 and £150.00. So this one, at a fifth of the price, really is the only option open to me at the moment and, as with Rough Rider knives, I'm really pleased with the quality, In fact I'd say the quality is slightly higher than RR. For instance the springs are polished, the blades pretty well centred and the overall fit and finish is really very good. But what really sold this knife to me is the shape and design of the main blade. That broad spear-point with its long nail Knick and elegant tapered swedge really is most attractive. That and the secondary, swedged clip point gives me everything I personally require in a slip joint. The blades, despite what I've heard about the grade of the steel, are as sharp as anything else I own following the slightest of touch ups on my Lanski sharpener. My only criticism is that the scales are mismatched in terms of colour, but are very well done and convincing as bone made to look like stag. Despite this I feel I have a great quality knife at a price that means I can enjoy using it without fear of damage or loss. Don't think I would feel the same with a knife that cost £150.00. :thumbup:

That Colt Scout knife has some good looking scales !

That Colt is a really nice looking knife. :thumbup:

What is its length closed?
Thank you Josh. Yes it's a robust and chunky knife, slightly more so than I'd imagined actually, but that's fine. The closed length is 3.1 inches, 6.1 open with a main blade length of 2.4. Thanks for your interest. :thumbup:

Thanks! It's because of your suggestion in another thread I went looking for the gold glitter to compare with Grandpa's sparkly Peanut. The gold flakes are much bigger in the Rough Rider, more like Goldschläger liqueur than '70s motorcycle helmet. :D

That's a wonderful description! I'd forgotten all about those glittery helmets. :p

Rough Rider medium stockman in red jigged bone. Lovely solid folder with a nice chunky feel. Good walk and talk, fit and finish and all that, just as I've come to expect from Rough Rider knives: I.E. of a standard way beyond their price-point. Minor deficiencies include uneven bevels to main blade, causing me to scratch the blade slightly putting right on the stone; will most likely polish out on the polishing wheel at work next week, but these are users for me so I'm not that bothered. There's also a small amount of discolouration to the edge of the red jigged bone on the opposite side to the one pictured: again not bothered, nothing you wouldn't expect from an item incorporating natural materials. The colour in general is a dark wine red which is actually very nice. I plan to alternate this one with the RR clip-point whittler I currently use at work, them being that much more robust than the smaller RR stockman, which fall down a little when it comes to larger jobs such as cutting rope and cable ties etc. A great knife, completing the set: small, medium and large. :):thumbup:

Blake, that red bone medium stockman looks exceptional to me!! :thumbup:

Received my Colt two blade gun stock knife through the post today and am really pleased with it. ...

Congrats on that stunning Colt, too, Blake! You've posted a couple of very attractive pieces! :thumbup:

I picked up a very nice Marbles sowbelly in ram's horn this week.

8f6899ea-fda0-430b-8092-fa0faaaf76c6_zpsdmymjvql.jpg~original
Fantastic sowbelly, Jeff! :cool:

Here are some Rough Riders I ordered on Labor Day, but I haven't made time to post them here until today.
A "moon-glow" canoe:
bQDWTEn.jpg

A "Diamond Jim" canoe whose "black smooth bone" covers seemed less-than-receptive to dye:
tqIatF7.jpg

ws4Rrsx.jpg

A smooth tobacco bone Half Hawk to replace one I gave away earlier:
yPCFicN.jpg

AMUTTcF.jpg

- GT

That Colt Scout knife has some good looking scales !

That's a wonderful description! I'd forgotten all about those glittery helmets. :p

Blake, that red bone medium stockman looks exceptional to me!! :thumbup:

Congrats on that stunning Colt, too, Blake! You've posted a couple of very attractive pieces! :thumbup:

Fantastic sowbelly, Jeff! :cool:

Here are some Rough Riders I ordered on Labor Day, but I haven't made time to post them here until today.
A "moon-glow" canoe:
bQDWTEn.jpg

A "Diamond Jim" canoe whose "black smooth bone" covers seemed less-than-receptive to dye:
tqIatF7.jpg

ws4Rrsx.jpg

A smooth tobacco bone Half Hawk to replace one I gave away earlier:
yPCFicN.jpg

AMUTTcF.jpg

- GT

Thank you GT, I am very pleased with it. That half hawk of yours is real nice, looks great. Your canoe seems to have the same issue as my Colt, in that the scales are mismatched. For me this isn't a huge problem, it shows the variance of the material and gives the knife individuality. What are your thoughts on this? Is this something you would find with higher end knives? Many thanks. :)

Back