Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Activate the warranty.
I have had a LOT of RR knives pass through my hands. Literally. I modify and sharpen almost all of them before selling them to whittlin' students.
They are the best value that I know of, and superior to knives that cost quite a bit more.
I have encountered a few duds. I report this to my source, and the offending knife is instantly replaced.
If defects become evident after I sell them, the same service applies.

Had this one a month or so now. No complaints. Will be buying more...
6b0SCaY.jpg

Had this one a month or so now. No complaints. Will be buying more...
6b0SCaY.jpg

Had mine for several months now; unfortunately mine has the blade rap that so many seem to have (hopefully yours didn’t). If it didn’t have that, it’d be a great knife for the price.

As a user, I’m still happy with it, although it may be a turn off on future reserves from RR if there going to have issues like that.

488C0DBC-2DB3-4DB7-B976-3ADDDE812D4E.jpeg

Had mine for several months now; unfortunately mine has the blade rap that so many seem to have (hopefully yours didn’t). If it didn’t have that, it’d be a great knife for the price.

As a user, I’m still happy with it, although it may be a turn off on future reserves from RR if there going to have issues like that.

View attachment 1509991
I can forgive any company that has made a knife with blade rap because they are trying to give you the most blade for your money.

Normally just a couple sharpenings solve this problem and no blade I have ever purchased has an edge on it that is satisfactory for me from the get go.

I can forgive any company that has made a knife with blade rap because they are trying to give you the most blade for your money.

Normally just a couple sharpenings solve this problem and no blade I have ever purchased has an edge on it that is satisfactory for me from the get go.

Not entirely sure what your first statement means but I do agree that it’s not a major issue. (I presume you mean they’re trying to allow for as much -width or belly- of blade as possible?)

However, with Reserves being at least twice the price of a normal RR, I’d hope that that would come with some quality control. Mine in particular wasn’t something I found out after use; it came with a very noticeable chip right in the middle of the blade.

But I digress, I use the knife, enjoy it, and after some sharpening like you said, it’ll be good.

Not entirely sure what your first statement means but I do agree that it’s not a major issue. (I presume you mean they’re trying to allow for as much -width or belly- of blade as possible?)

However, with Reserves being at least twice the price of a normal RR, I’d hope that that would come with some quality control. Mine in particular wasn’t something I found out after use; it came with a very noticeable chip right in the middle of the blade.

But I digress, I use the knife, enjoy it, and after some sharpening like you said, it’ll be good.

I was talking about the width of blade in the well.
When designing knives I know they don’t always want to contour the knives to exactly fit the well.

The one knife I was thinking of in this respect is my Case Backpocket.
I really like the knife but the blade is a bit narrow compared to how wide the handle is.

The Barlow is the only RRR knife I own and I am quite impressed with it.
I never noticed any rap with it but it has been sharpened twice though.

For the money it is a quality knife.
I do wish they would stick to a more traditional look with them though.

Ive heard and read of gecs with blade rap but they get a pass because they are such high quality. But a lower quality knife company trying to put out something better than their norm had blade rap. It must be junk.

Ive heard and read of gecs with blade rap but they get a pass because they are such high quality. But a lower quality knife company trying to put out something better than their norm had blade rap. It must be junk.
"Lower Cost" might be more accurate.
I think GEC also gets the pass in part, because they're "Made in USA" and cost a small fortune.
Therefore they "have" to be "better" than something that costs at least 1/4 to 1/2 as much.

I haven't got one of the "high end" Rough Ryder Reserve knives. I probably never will. They are out of my budget.
I've always found my $8 to $20 Rough Ryders to be of high quality.
Are they "Perfect"? No.
They do have minor cosmetic "defects"....
Then again, so do my GEC, Case, (vintage USA) Schrade, and Buck knives.

Last edited:
Had to get one of these after seeing one posted by 5K Qs 5K Qs I believe. A Damascus knife for $22 :rolleyes:
Upon opening the box I was pessimistic. Probably just faux damascus. Thought maybe it was just stamped. Well, they do make all stainless damascus, and upon close inspection my doubts were put aside. This knife has pretty good quality too. Main blade is a little lazy, but is improving. Smaller blade has great walk & talk. But how much can you complain for $22. Plus the Canoe is a great pattern :thumbsup:

ZsAKdHa.jpg

I have this used Rough Rider lockback I purchased on the forum.

I just want to say, this is one of the best feeling lock-backs I've ever handled. I have had Case and GEC lockbacks in the past , in addition to a custom lockback Lanny's, but this one 'feels' solid. No blade wiggle open or closed with a solid lock up.

The damascus blade could be better (I find myself stropping it quite often) but a great in hand knife.

w9QoVQz.jpg

That barlow lockback is a Rough Ryder?? I check the mountain site daily, but never saw that one. Sorry I missed it, looks like one I'd love also.
Rich

That barlow lockback is a Rough Ryder?? I check the mountain site daily, but never saw that one. Sorry I missed it, looks like one I'd love also.
Rich

Lol, that's what I said!

It is Rough Rider RR1020. Sold like 10 years ago. Japanese San Mai. I put the thumb stud on it to make it one hand openable.

If someone said this was a custom made knife, I would believe it except for the "China" stamp on the ricasso.

Solid, solid, solid.

Had to get one of these after seeing one posted by 5K Qs 5K Qs I believe. A Damascus knife for $22 :rolleyes:
Upon opening the box I was pessimistic. Probably just faux damascus. Thought maybe it was just stamped. Well, they do make all stainless damascus, and upon close inspection my doubts were put aside. This knife has pretty good quality too. Main blade is a little lazy, but is improving. Smaller blade has great walk & talk. But how much can you complain for $22. Plus the Canoe is a great pattern :thumbsup:

ZsAKdHa.jpg
Congrats, Tim; that's a gorgeous canoe! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
I do have one of those cinnamon stag bone damascus canoes, and maybe mine inspired you to get yours. But someone else ( Chui Chui ?) posted one that inspired me, so it's becoming a pandemic! :eek::rolleyes:

I think I like the looks of yours a little better than I like mine. The rich toasty brown you have near the bolsters appeals to me a little more than the lighter, more creamy color I have near the bolsters. (But I'm definitely NOT throwing mine into the trash! :D)
csbd.mark.Vstand.branch.jpg

- GT

I do have one of those cinnamon stag bone damascus canoes, and maybe mine inspired you to get yours. But someone else ( Chui Chui ?) posted one that inspired me, so it's becoming a pandemic! :eek::rolleyes:

I think I like the looks of yours a little better than I like mine. The rich toasty brown you have near the bolsters appeals to me a little more than the lighter, more creamy color I have near the bolsters. (But I'm definitely NOT throwing mine into the trash! :D)
View attachment 1524357

- GT
Thank you Gary. I know you are quite a fan of the canoe pattern, and this one really is quite nice. I understand RR uses CNC to make the bone covers. If you look at each one, they have the same groves & marks. Colors do vary I guess. I find myself looking closely at it all the time; still doubting it’s damascus :cool:

View attachment 1524357

- GT

.......guilty as charged, GT :D

I do not seek to buy Chinese products at all, for many reasons, but these folders have undeniable value for money and tick many boxes. Perhaps I've been lucky, but the fit n finish on mine are very good indeed.......and I've now bought quite a few.

In my dotage, when I've had to sell all my customs to pay for more bottles of whiskey, brandy, heating and foodstuffs - I'll at least have these still to fumble and play with ;) ;)

Lol, that's what I said!
It is Rough Rider RR1020. Sold like 10 years ago. Japanese San Mai. I put the thumb stud on it to make it one hand openable.
If someone said this was a custom made knife, I would believe it except for the "China" stamp on the ricasso.
Solid, solid, solid.

Fooled me. Looks a lot like the Boker Magnum damascus barlows. Still wish I had seen that RR. A beautiful knife.
Rich

Back