Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Thank you for this!
I'd seen them on the 'bay, but steered clear... no telling the quality not knowing who was using the name, where they came from, wasn't going to risk it.
Same here. Went to the blue roof and ordered a barlow, thought about the wharncliffe but passed this time.:thumbsup:

Thank you for this!
I'd seen them on the 'bay, but steered clear... no telling the quality not knowing who was using the name, where they came from, wasn't going to risk it.

Well you're completely right in the sense that these new Queens are related to old Queen in name only. Considered as something completely new and only comparing to similar price point imported knives, I think I'll give them a shot since they do look nice.

I did notice that another retailer has them for significantly cheaper if you go searching, which is odd since Queen is now a foggy hill/blue roof store brand.

Same here. Went to the blue roof and ordered a barlow

Please fill us in when you get it! Usually only get single blade barlows, but this one looks nice.

Well you're completely right in the sense that these new Queens are related to old Queen in name only. Considered as something completely new and only comparing to similar price point imported knives, I think I'll give them a shot since they do look nice.

Yup, the old company is dead, I couldn't care less about the name on them.

Even considered as something new, import or not(don't care there either)I couldn't risk it without knowing who was doing the contracting.

SMKW/RR are good quality. The other two probable options were whoever makes the Marbles knives, which arent nearly as nice, which I won't buy. And the makers for Frosts... I won't call what they make junk, but its another step down, I won't buy them either... Still lots of risks within the price point/ class.

A $20 knife is still an hours wage and not worth the risk to me without some idea of who. :)

Knowing they are SMKW contracts almost garrantees a RR factory and quality, which means they'll rival or beat any other maker out theren import or not.

Now I just have to wait for a pattern I like, and hope they don't start molding a freaking Q into the bolsters. ;)

Anyone else buy some of the new made in China brown sawcut bone Queen knives? The big mountain knife store now owns the Queen and Queen City brands. Looks like they're made at similar price points to Rough Ryder, possibly at the same factories judging from similarities.

I know there's sour attitude from Queen being sold and production moved to China, but I'm strictly comparing this new Queen to Rough Ryder (or Marbles). I like the plain bolsters without the garish "R" that RR uses, and the Queen shield looks great. The single blade wharncliffe seems like a nice pattern.

Thanks for the "heads up" on these bone Queens; I hadn't been aware of them (or the black pearl models) until I saw your post! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I've known about the "abalone" Queen City knives for a while. Has anyone picked up one of the Queen city canoes? I'll probably try one out sometime, but I'm kind of reluctant to be a "first adopter". I always like to hear opinions from others who've tried the knives before I order one.

- GT

Yup, the old company is dead, I couldn't care less about the name on them.

Even considered as something new, import or not(don't care there either)I couldn't risk it without knowing who was doing the contracting.

SMKW/RR are good quality. The other two probable options were whoever makes the Marbles knives, which arent nearly as nice, which I won't buy. And the makers for Frosts... I won't call what they make junk, but its another step down, I won't buy them either... Still lots of risks within the price point/ class.

A $20 knife is still an hours wage and not worth the risk to me without some idea of who. :)

Knowing they are SMKW contracts almost garrantees a RR factory and quality, which means they'll rival or beat any other maker out theren import or not.

Now I just have to wait for a pattern I like, and hope they don't start molding a freaking Q into the bolsters. ;)
I'm pretty sure SMKW also owns Marbles. I haven't examined any myself, but thought they were made by RR.

I agree with Mike, the Marbles I've had were the same quality as the RRs.
I was under the impression that Marbles was owned by the big blue roof also. I have a few of them and find them to basically the same quality as RR. I actually like the look of some of the Marbles better because they don’t have the big R on the bolsters.

Got the day off today so I thought I’d post a few pictures of my latest Marbles pick ups.
The smaller cattleman whittler has the worst action, and I would call it useable but soft on 2 of the blades and fine on 1 of the secondary blades. The sowbelly and full sized cattleman are very nice knives, with very snappy action and very nice F&F. It’s bone stag of course, but pretty well done in my opinion.
6A6613F9-186C-433D-8E49-7C48ED49BFA5.jpeg 8B7A7C1E-0F35-4D47-BC42-C6143C51D46D.jpeg F3BF7BC2-B6CC-48BA-9907-15798CB5D58C.jpeg

Received my RRR 005 Hedgehog, RR2107 VG10, and Upswept Bow Trapper. Superb F&F on the RRR, wharncliffe looks really useful, solid feeling. Love the VG10 the most even though it looks cheesy and is cheap. Action is smooth, incredibly light for size, and the jigging feels nice in hand. Bow trapper blade is a little thick for my liking but the design feels good to grip.

crGaqvA.jpg

Picked up this RR1958. A 4" long, three spring whittler, with the main blade being a lockback. Not a pattern you see every day. Somebody posted one of these in yellow (or maybe it was moon glow) a couple of years ago. I found the pattern interesting and went looking for one. They were sold out and never restocked. This one is part of the "Working Man" series. Its green bone and came with a pocket clip.
WM Whittler 1.JPG WM Whittler 2.JPG WM Whittler 3.JPG

Picked up this RR1958. A 4" long, three spring whittler, with the main blade being a lockback. Not a pattern you see every day. Somebody posted one of these in yellow (or maybe it was moon glow) a couple of years ago. I found the pattern interesting and went looking for one. They were sold out and never restocked. This one is part of the "Working Man" series. Its green bone and came with a pocket clip.
View attachment 1538222 View attachment 1538223 View attachment 1538224

Almost ordered one of those last week, I'm intrigued by lockback and non, mixed in one knife. Didn't do it for fear of the green being too green. That one looks nice.

View attachment 1538222 View attachment 1538223 View attachment 1538224

This pattern came out years ago in yellow, moonglow, red jigged, and brown smooth with the acorn shield (Outdoorsman series) . I personally really like them and still have a red jigged and Outdoorsman version. Actually my son now has the Outdoorsman and I am always on the lookout for another. Is the green one currently available somewhere?

This pattern came out years ago in yellow, moonglow, red jigged, and brown smooth with the acorn shield (Outdoorsman series) . I personally really like them and still have a red jigged and Outdoorsman version. Actually my son now has the Outdoorsman and I am always on the lookout for another. Is the green one currently available somewhere?
Fished it out of the bay.

Back