Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I noticed that too Gary. I was intrigued by posts about this knife, went to check it out and saw the $24.99 price. I wonder if the original price was a mistake or if they are taking advantage of a knife that’s getting some traction.

I’ll email them about it since I had bought one recently
G2

5K Qs

Gold Member
For the record, put me down as another big fan of the smooth tobacco bone Outdoorsman series Rough Ri(y)ders. :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Canoe:
View attachment 1543647

Canittler:
View attachment 1543648

Sowbelly stockman:
View attachment 1543652

Halfhawk:
View attachment 1543653

I also have an improved muskrat in smooth tobacco bone, but it's the lighter-colored version (more yellow/golden than the rich brown of the preceding knives) and it has a bollocks shield instead of the acorn shield, so I'm not sure if it was part of the Outdoorsman series:
View attachment 1543654

- GT
Thanks to the generosity of bigfish64 bigfish64 , I have another Rough Ryder Outdoorsman series knife in my little group!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: It's a copperhead with full size clip and skinner blades; it looks and works great! Thanks, Todd! :)

Since it's a knife in the Outdoorsman series, I took it on a walk with me yesterday afternoon after I'd finished most of my Saturday chores. Since Todd often takes pics of his knives that have a lake in the background, I walked to a lake a couple of miles from where I live, hoping to help the copperhead feel more at home. We walked part of the Reeds Lake Trail around the lake and part of the Hodenpyl Woods trail around a nearby marsh.
tobaccoCH.mark.closed.box.jpg
tobaccoCH.mark.closed.hodenpyl.sign.jpg
tobaccoCH.pile.Vclip.jpg
tobaccoCH.mark.2open.jpg

Thanks again, Todd, for the captivating and capable copperhead! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

bigfish64

Gold Member
Thanks to the generosity of bigfish64 bigfish64 , I have another Rough Ryder Outdoorsman series knife in my little group!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: It's a copperhead with full size clip and skinner blades; it looks and works great! Thanks, Todd! :)

Since it's a knife in the Outdoorsman series, I took it on a walk with me yesterday afternoon after I'd finished most of my Saturday chores. Since Todd often takes pics of his knives that have a lake in the background, I walked to a lake a couple of miles from where I live, hoping to help the copperhead feel more at home. We walked part of the Reeds Lake Trail around the lake and part of the Hodenpyl Woods trail around a nearby marsh.
View attachment 1548785
View attachment 1548786
View attachment 1548788
View attachment 1548787

Thanks again, Todd, for the captivating and capable copperhead! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT
You’re very welcome Gary! I’m glad it has a new home, and that looks like a pretty lake, much clearer than ours right now.:D:thumbsup:

Henry Beige

Gold Member
I noticed that too Gary. I was intrigued by posts about this knife, went to check it out and saw the $24.99 price. I wonder if the original price was a mistake or if they are taking advantage of a knife that’s getting some traction.

I think it is the latter. When I bought my green sowbelly maybe a year and a half ago, It was about $15. Some other very nicely finished models were selling in that range as well. The $50 prices of the Reserve models left quite a bit of room for price increases to their nicer “standard” models.

Henry Beige

Gold Member

View attachment 1548785
View attachment 1548786
View attachment 1548788
View attachment 1548787

- GT

Thar smooth bone with the acorn shield make for a very appealing livery.

5K Qs

Gold Member
You’re very welcome Gary! I’m glad it has a new home, and that looks like a pretty lake, much clearer than ours right now.:D:thumbsup:
None of the photos in my previous post show the actual lake, Todd. The water shown is just a rather brackish pool in a marshy area, but the angle was apparently just right to clearly reflect blue sky and white clouds and make the pool look more appealing than it really is. ;)

Thar smooth bone with the acorn shield make for a very appealing livery.
Totally agree with this assessment. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Rhinofly

Gold Member
The
I feel the same way Gary, in fact, I put in a relatively recent post a very similar sentiment about leaving out the “for the money” part of the “it’s a good knife” statement. Not sure if this was the photo from the post or not, but here are some good knives at any price! ;):thumbsup:
View attachment 1545782
Love the covers on that Barlow.

Modoc ED

Gold Member
These three Rough Rider Outdoorsman series knives with Smooth Tobacco bone covers arrived in today's mail - a gift from Todd @ bigfish64. All (large Congress, medium Congress, Lockback Stockman) are very nice knives. Rough Rider did a good job with this series. More pics to come.

DDdxYOH.jpg

mbkr

Gold Member
I blame mbkr mbkr for showing off his Equestrian knife. :p

Of course, I couldn't leave it alone.
aqUQ3it.jpg

I'm not entirely pleased with it, and may add some more detail but decided to stop for now before I mess it up. (I bought two, so I have a spare if I do)
You're welcome :D
I think it looks good :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rhinofly

Gold Member
These three Rough Rider Outdoorsman series knives with Smooth Tobacco bone covers arrived in today's mail - a gift from Todd @ bigfish64. All (large Congress, medium Congress, Lockback Stockman) are very nice knives. Rough Rider did a good job with this series. More pics to come.

DDdxYOH.jpg
Ed, do you happen to know the model numbers on the two congress knives? Thanks.