Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Oh, yeah! afishhunter afishhunter , I bought that same Barlow knife several years ago with black peach seed scales. Beautiful knife. Impeccably assembled, fitted and finished. Maybe one of the nicest folders I have except a couple of old Case brand.

Years of carrying in use have passed and it is still as stout and well fitted as it was when I bought it. Great knife!

I like the "mirror image" shot of your bow trappers, Alan! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks Gary. I’m always looking for a new photo opportunity. Your canoe is real nice. I always thought the canoe pattern would make an excellent single blade spear knife. But then with only one “oar” it would make for a lousy canoe. 😁

The Taterskin work knife is definitely one of my favorites:

oGi68se.jpg

My wife gave me a Marbles Safety Folder for Father's Day last Sunday. She bought it in a "silent auction" at a fund raiser for a local ballet academy (hers was the only bid 🤓 , and I got the impression when she asked me to look up current prices at dealers on Sunday that she bid considerably more than the knife is worth, but I said that people expect that at fund raisers). I had seen the pattern online before, and never considered ordering one, but after getting it in hand, it's a FAR more interesting and useful knife than I had thought.

Here's what it looks like closed:
mark.closed.back.jpeg
The most obvious distinguishing feature is that the blade is longer than the handle, but the excess blade length rests in a steel "tailpiece" extending from the butt of the knife. Note that this version has the swing guards that fold out perpendicular to the bolster to function as a "hilt" for the open knife. It also has "stamped scrimshaw" on the mark side smooth white bone cover, which appeals to me.

Here are photos of the blade at half-stop, and the open knife:
mark.halfstop.jpeg
mark.open.flat.jpeg

One of the aspects of the knife that caused me to dismiss it without much thought when I'd see dealer photos is that the "tailpiece" seemed like it would be awkward and in the way when using the knife. But, as I discovered and you can see in the pic of the knife fully opened, that tailpiece can actually be swung up into the blade well and functions as a lock against the fully open tang:
well.lock.jpeg
So there's a lot that I like about this knife, especially in terms of representing "firsts" in my collection.
1) Obviously the first knife of this pattern I've ever handled;
2) my first knife with swing guards;
3) my first knife with this type of lock
4) and if you just look at the open handle, you'll see that it's a large coke bottle shape (with a jug handle), another first for me.
mark.handle.scrim.jpeg

The handle is about 4 3/8", the closed knife including tailpiece is about 6 1/4", and the blade from pivot bolster to tip is about 5" (cutting edge about 4 3/8").

I will probably eventually put this knife into my weekly rotation schedule, so I'd carry it probably 2 or 3 times a year. For now, I've been keeping it by the kitchen counter and using it to cut up fruits and vegetables; it's fun!

One last shot of the closed knife, pile side this time:
pile.closed.back.jpeg

- GT

5K Qs 5K Qs
Very nice. 👍 I been thinking of getting one for the "historical" value. (it is an old pattern). Your review is making it more difficult to resist postponing something I "need" more ... archery arrows ... an arrow stop ... that does ... archery thumb ring for the horsebows ... broadhead big bore blowgun darts (to turn off the 🤬🤬🤬🤬 veggie garden munching chucks when given the chance) .... 🙄

Last edited:
When, oh when, is Rough Ryder gonna come out with a lambsfoot!? They could sell a decent sized run just on BFC.
Agree. Hopefully when they do ittle be in the normal RR line, not the too spendy (for me) RRR line ... In the (yellow) Classic Carbon or (black) Classic Carbon 2 series would be great.
Their T-10 will hold an 10° per side (20° inclusive) edge, and isn't chippy. (what I have mine at, using a guided rod sharpener.)

Do you favor a solo blade, or give it a pen or small clip point to keep the lamb company?

Back