Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

Just learned today on the podcast that the Barback is already "on the water" and close to getting here.

The one where he shows the Barback is on Guys Talk Knives 148 Live at around 7 minutes in.

Took some screenshots. Interesting design. I'm a fan of all of it except the cap lifter. Seems like the sharp cap lifter may be uncomfortable to grip when using the secondary blade, and also more suited to a pocket slip rather than loose carry.

NIFqNsb.png

Last edited:
Took some screenshots. Interesting design. I'm a fan of all of it except the cap lifter. Seems like the sharp cap lifter may be uncomfortable to grip when using the secondary blade, and also more suited to a pocket slip rather than loose carry.

NIFqNsb.png
Absolutely no offence intended here but that's awful on so many levels.
From a carry and ergonomics pov it's an outright failure. Aesthetics are personal but to my eye it's not something I could bring myself to own, even if I was stuck on a desert island without water surrounded by capped bottles.
What the lads in smoky don't seem to get here is that they do not need to reinvent the wheel with odd ball stuff. If they just gave us a few basic patterns without spin, built the way Case should be building them at the current rrp they would be onto a winner.
Just my tuppence! :)

- my goodness, is this real...?

Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 09.28.04.png

.....what will that do to the inside of a pocket, or indeed, your hand if you forgot it was there :confused:

Confess, like ed_is_dead ed_is_dead am a trifle troubled by this creation.

Have many RR's, and mighty happy with them for what they are - very, in fact...........but the direction RRR is taking is personally putting me off. Sorry, guys.

Last edited:

NIFqNsb.png

thanks for this. If they hadn’t put that stupid bottle opener on there that’d have been a great pattern. That looks like it’s rife with pain in its future. I can see me stabbing myself with that pointy part while reaching into my pocket.

i even kind of like the finger choil; its a clever idea. Just make a cap lifter and put it in there for peat sake.

I worked as a bartender for about a decade and I'm actually kind of curious about how that would actually do as a barback knife in a pinch... A nice and tall wharncliffe blade for slicing limes and chopping garnishes, a bottle opener for beers, and a standard spear for opening boxes and whatnot. I can kind of see where their head was at for the design.

I worked as a bartender for about a decade and I'm actually kind of curious about how that would actually do as a barback knife in a pinch... A nice and tall wharncliffe blade for slicing limes and chopping garnishes, a bottle opener for beers, and a standard spear for opening boxes and whatnot. I can kind of see where their head was at for the design.

Yeah, I see it too- in the sense that someone had all those ideas and cobbled them together haphazardly. I think a standard SAK with bottle opener can accomplish better what this thing tried to do. Exposed sharp pointy bits have no real business being on a pocket knife.

Yeah, I see it too- in the sense that someone had all those ideas and cobbled them together haphazardly. I think a standard SAK with bottle opener can accomplish better what this thing tried to do. Exposed sharp pointy bits have no real business being on a pocket knife.

Yea, I definitely wouldn't want to pocket the knife, lol. But maybe just sitting on a bar cart or something... This is what I have sitting on my bar cart right now.

bbA5nZr.jpg

You're probably right about a SAK being able to do all the jobs the Barback could do (and then some), while still being pocketable.

I hope they continue the line with some more common patterns. I'm liking the materials and build quality I'm seeing for the price, but every design has just been to "unique" for my tastes.

Yea, I definitely wouldn't want to pocket the knife, lol. But maybe just sitting on a bar cart or something... This is what I have sitting on my bar cart right now.

You're probably right about a SAK being able to do all the jobs the Barback could do (and then some), while still being pocketable.

I hope they continue the line with some more common patterns. I'm liking the materials and build quality I'm seeing for the price, but every design has just been to "unique" for my tastes.

First of all, that's a wild and handsome fixed blade- I'm a big fan.

Secondly- yeah, I think I get a little down on this because I have two perfectly serviceable RR's that were 13 and 17 dollars respectively. I had high hopes in light of what RR has accomplished in the dirt cheap market. I shouldn't be such a Negative Nancy, Cynical Cindy, or Debby Downer. I'm glad folks are trying new things. I just wish they'd stop wasting materials on these types of half-baked ideas.

I'm starting to get the impression that the designs are developed by a random number generator, and the project approver has never carried a traditional pocket knife in their life.

With that bottle opener on the wrong side of the blade, it makes it seem pretty dangerous. I guess it would have made too much sense to leave the wharncliffe alone and have the bottle opener at the bottom of the spear point blade. And most importantly, on the inside of the knife.

With that bottle opener on the wrong side of the blade, it makes it seem pretty dangerous. I guess it would have made too much sense to leave the wharncliffe alone and have the bottle opener at the bottom of the spear point blade. And most importantly, on the inside of the knife.
I feel kinda sorry for the guy really, seems this is is crown jewel of design. I imagine it isn't going to be very popular. Really there's ALREADY a knife designed to open bottles with the blade closed, and look how popular it is :D
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...r-lady-leg-pocketknife.1761556/#post-20155780
;):thumbsup:

I feel kinda sorry for the guy really, seems this is is crown jewel of design. I imagine it isn't going to be very popular. Really there's ALREADY a knife designed to open bottles with the blade closed, and look how popular it is :D
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...r-lady-leg-pocketknife.1761556/#post-20155780
;):thumbsup:

that's the thing about design- everyone thinks they can do it. It's true anyone can have ideas, and the best ideas come from people who use the tools, but a good design requires careful, tedious, exhaustive consideration up front.

Take the barback for example. By putting in that finger choil, he exposes the back corner of the tang. This was probably already going to be an issue with this knife, as it is with the kayak. So that requires a change in pivot location, which requires changes to the tang and back spring.

Then, ideally, you should make a mock-up prototype of the knife. Carry it in your pocket for a couple weeks and see if it ever tears one of your cuticles accidently. Wait to see if it scratches your fingers as you reach for it. Heck- drop it a couple times simulating what could happen if you fumble it retrieving it from the pocket.

There's a lot to like about that knife- that secondary spear point is gorgeous, and I'm a fan of the swollen serpentine shape. I also like the general shape of that wharnecliff. That's where the positives end, however, and everything else kind ruins it.

EDIT: oh, before I forget- There's another issue to putting the bottle opener on the back of the blade. the blade can still be depressed further into the blade well- it's only spring tension that's keeping it in it's location. When you go to uncap a stiff bottle cap with that, you might end up leveraging the blade into it's own back spring.

The opener configured that way means you can use it w/o opening the blade. Some would find that helpful, especially if most of your bar work is opning beer.

Still waiting for @Clownsinc to chime in, by the way. Being the fan that he is of the RRR line, I'm surprised we've not heard anything new from him since he announce the drop in 3/4 posts.

The opener configured that way means you can use it w/o opening the blade. Some would find that helpful, especially if most of your bar work is opning beer.

yeah, I think that's well understood brownshoe- I just can't figure out who's going to be working a bar who doesn't have enough bottle openers around that they'll need to reach for this knife, and to that end, how many seconds that's going to save them in their emergency need for a bottle opener.

Edit: Actually, I think the only safe way to actually use that bottle opener is with the blade closed. I wouldn't leverage on the back side of a blade with it open. That's like the exact opposite of how a cap lifter is configured.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I really don't want to bad-mouth anybody's purchase... But that's just all kinds of horrible.
and you know what? the more I'm looking at it, the more ridiculous it is- do you see how when it's closed the back of the secondary actually obscures the bottle opener cutout?
It might not impact the performance, but it definitely means they didn't need to remove that much material.

Back