Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

Thanks, if and when I do, I'm fairly certain my grail won't be listed within a Rough Ryder lineup ;) More of a Jerry Halfrich Rounder in stag kind of wish list deal :)
G2

LoL dang buddy ok, I stand corrected, sign me up!
;)
G2

Last edited:
My Kayak came today. Here in the UK it costs over $80

I was totally underwhelmed. The micarta colour is truly insipid. The blades had play in them. Not a lot, but it was there. The one blade was gritty as hell.

I was going to send it back but i really do like the shape of the blades so i kept it. I dyed the micarta a brownish maroon then put a drop of oil on the one pivot to try and make it smoother.

Fell out my hand, went straight into my ankle point first . . . blood pumping like crazy. Threw sock/s away as one was drenched.

I believe the knife is cursed.

Its now in its box right at the back of a cold dark drawer. Hopefully to be forgotten till the world comes to an end :rolleyes:

It sounds like you just don't like the knife...... A drop of oil, or a flushing, is good practice with any production knife.... Is the blade play looseness in the joints, or spring in the blades?....... I probably buy 50-75 new knives a year and haven't received one yet with joint looseness...... I'm curious what people see when they're decry "blade play".....

Probably best not to stir the troops up with photos that are not of RRR folders ;) but, and there's always a but...it does make it known to those that might be watching this thread that something along those lines would be welcome, not a copy but a zulu pattern maybe would be nice.

And this folder visited my place several years ago for a sheath and I was very taken by it's form and beauty as well as the nice thin grind he put on there;

IMG_1079 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

as I understand it the original guy that ordered it did not care for how the inlay was done, but as you might imagine, it did not have a long wait before another person grabbed her up...

IMG_1077 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and with that, back to our RRR discussion ;)

G2

It sounds like you just don't like the knife...... A drop of oil, or a flushing, is good practice with any production knife.... Is the blade play looseness in the joints, or spring in the blades?....... I probably buy 50-75 new knives a year and haven't received one yet with joint looseness...... I'm curious what people see when they're decry "blade play".....
I do like the knife, i just didnt like the colour of the micarta. I thought it would have a little more depth. That could easily of been my laptop screen making it look deeper.

The play is the blade being able to be moved from side to side on the pivot The spring is fine. Just a grittiness with one blade. The knives you buy i'm sure are of a better quality than a Rough Rider.

If you think a flush will help i will have a go. Could you recommend what to use and how long to leave soaking.

If i dont ask, i dont learn.

I do like the knife, i just didnt like the colour of the micarta. I thought it would have a little more depth. That could easily of been my laptop screen making it look deeper.

The play is the blade being able to be moved from side to side on the pivot The spring is fine. Just a grittiness with one blade. The knives you buy i'm sure are of a better quality than a Rough Rider.

If you think a flush will help i will have a go. Could you recommend what to use and how long to leave soaking.

If i dont ask, i dont learn.

I actually like Rough Riders very much....... Probably have 50+ of them including the 3 RRR reserve models...... On the non-reserve ones I have I seen some off centering which I fix myself if it bothers me......

Just get a can of WD40, or similar and give the pivot area a good douche...... Cycle the blade a few times to flush any manufacturing crud..... Then dry it off and lubricate the pivot and tang...... That is my approach to any production knife I buy....... The cleanest knives I get come from Italy...... The dirtiest ones are generally Case...... Almost all the nail nicks come with black crud in them..... I clean that out with a toothpick.......

HEMI 49 HEMI 49 I have some WD40, but i will go buy some more as i dont think there is a lot left, then i will do as you advise. Thank you :thumbsup:

I too am quite fond of the Rough Riders. I probably have about half the amount you have, and i admit i pretty much like them all. The fit and finish is sometimes a little off, but for the price they are very, very good.

With 15-20 minutes tinkering i can usually fix any flaws i find. But that is getting more infrequent. I think they are getting better each time i get one.

I recently bought one of the two-tone G10 stockmans, and it was pretty much flawless. I will certainly carry on buying others if they become available in the UK. The recent damascus ones were pretty much perfect as well . . . . and the one thing i like about RR. is the willingness to try new, or revive older patterns.

I'd love to buy GEC and knives of that quality, but in the UK that is pretty much impossible, unless you buy second hand or pay a huge amount. Sadly being on a very tight budget it's rare i can get anything that nice.

Still . . . i can always dream :)

Reactions: rdg
HEMI 49 HEMI 49 I have some WD40, but i will go buy some more as i dont think there is a lot left, then i will do as you advise. Thank you :thumbsup:

I too am quite fond of the Rough Riders. I probably have about half the amount you have, and i admit i pretty much like them all. The fit and finish is sometimes a little off, but for the price they are very, very good.

With 15-20 minutes tinkering i can usually fix any flaws i find. But that is getting more infrequent. I think they are getting better each time i get one.

I recently bought one of the two-tone G10 stockmans, and it was pretty much flawless. I will certainly carry on buying others if they become available in the UK. The recent damascus ones were pretty much perfect as well . . . . and the one thing i like about RR. is the willingness to try new, or revive older patterns.

I'd love to buy GEC and knives of that quality, but in the UK that is pretty much impossible, unless you buy second hand or pay a huge amount. Sadly being on a very tight budget it's rare i can get anything that nice.

Still . . . i can always dream :)

I have a couple of the recent Damascus RR knives....... I think they are great.....

Some people criticize RR for straying from established norms of design....... But I applaud it as with applesauce, who knew how good it would taste with cinnamon until it was tried.......

I have a couple of the recent Damascus RR knives....... I think they are great.....

Some people criticize RR for straying from established norms of design....... But I applaud it as with applesauce, who knew how good it would taste with cinnamon until it was tried.......

- yup. If you gave 2 or 3 of my RR's to a knife enthusiast, blindfolded, I'd think they'd be very surprised to learn once they'd had a damn good fondle, they cost that little. Amazing vfm

Sad to say, sent my RRR back, just not up to scratch..........unremarkable compared to their RR stable-mates

I’m dying. :D
I feel like we need confirmation on the pickle-chocolate combination.

Last I heard, there was a division as to using Dill or Sweet, it may put the whole thing off if not resolved in time before the chocolate melts...:(
G2

Oh my I really was not expecting this and in every area has exceeded my expectations.
The presentation tube , box and just everything has wowed me almost as much as the the knife. Fit and finish on this particular example would rival ones at 2 or 3 times it’s price point. Action out of the tube is outstanding with no grit, Snappy at each half stop with the perfect pull on both blades. Did I mentioned centered blades with no chance of rubbing. The shield is nestled in with perfection along with the pins .
I’m really sorry I don’t mean to be going on and on but I truly was not expecting this and yes this won’t be my last and To the pics:thumbsup:
mVX4fHv.jpg

bPncUb8.jpg

k1RkTZ2.jpg

I’m dying. :D
I feel like we need confirmation on the pickle-chocolate combination.

jZ7zU9w.jpg

Its not like its disgusting. Its just better without.

Oh my I really was not expecting this and in every area has exceeded my expectations.
The presentation tube , box and just everything has wowed me almost as much as the the knife. Fit and finish on this particular example would rival ones at 2 or 3 times it’s price point. Action out of the tube is outstanding with no grit, Snappy at each half stop with the perfect pull on both blades. Did I mentioned centered blades with no chance of rubbing. The shield is nestled in with perfection along with the pins .
I’m really sorry I don’t mean to be going on and on but I truly was not expecting this and yes this won’t be my last and To the pics:thumbsup:
mVX4fHv.jpg

bPncUb8.jpg

k1RkTZ2.jpg

Your pictures make that knife look better than all others ive seen.

Back