Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

EngrSorenson EngrSorenson
I'm not entirely certain, I'll post a link to where I got mine,maybe it will be ok to do so. This says its 320/800 but I've had mine several years so its worn down somewhat. I carry mine in a CK knives slip as the cheapo nylon pouch wears out quickly in a pocket.(sorry. Not OK)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think something is "off" about the post or the poster, please report the post and we'll look at it. We gots "skills".

I realize now that reporting isn’t necessarily a condemnation, and I’ll be sure to use that in the future, thank you- and kudos on being gentle about it.

This says its 320/800 but I've had mine several years so its worn down somewhat.

oh okay- so hardly the “extra course” kind of stone to grind metal away fast. Maybe this D2 is a little softer than examples like Queen’s D2. Not necessarily a bad thing- Queen’s can be a bear to sharpen.

EngrSorenson EngrSorenson
If you think something is "off" about the post or the poster, please report the post and we'll look at it. We gots "skills".

Meanwhile, please don't post links to dealers who don't support BF.
Just talk about the knives.
No problem, I figured I was on shaky ground :thumbsup: sorry for the inconvenience, I could have easily sent the link via PM, and should have.

The RRR003 Whittler is quickly becoming one of my favourites. It's mighty big compared to most of my other small traditional slipjoints, but not unusual to those who carry trappers, jumbo stockman, hunters, etc. The weight is too much for dress pants but carries nicely in jeans, especially in a slip to help it stay upright and cover the sharp back ends of the blades when closed. A slip called the MAM 3000 is a near perfect fit (has no retention though due to being soft suede).

The leaf shaped blade performs much like a Spyderco. It's sold out from the big hill store, but still in stock at a couple other dealers.

3QwWM7Z.jpg

On one of the last podcasts of the year, the designer of the #4 said it would not arrive this year. It is not even listed in the Coming Soon section yet. It will likely show up when they are back from vacation in the first full week of 2021.

I think it's an interesting design. But I also think that they shouldn't sell it without a custom slip or pouch, due to the way the caplifter is exposed. So yes, without a supplied slip or pouch to offset those concerns, it does seem questionable.

I really like my RRR001 'One-Arm'. Haven't used it to do much, but the fit and finish is really good, especially for the price point. And it came quite sharp from the factory.

While I like most RRs, IMHO the "Barback" is just bad knife design.
Rich

Last edited:
nothing redeeming about this pattern at all. I could (and do) defend the first 3... not this one. yikes.
A shame really. The RRR001 showed the potential of this brand. Squandered.

This is the first "traditional" I've ever seen with a finger choil, which is a modern knife design element in my eyes. (Cue someone coming in to show an old Imperial or something with a choil). I know the 110s had a variant, but still. This just reads as a very modern knife to me.

I wouldn't consider it a "very modern knife." More modern influenced than most traditionals, perhaps. An Olamic Whippersnapper or some exotic Reate would be what more folks might consider "a very modern knife". Perhaps you meant a very modern knife - for one marketed as a traditional?

This just reads as a very modern knife to me.

Back