Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by L.H.S, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    @EngrSorenson
    I'm not entirely certain, I'll post a link to where I got mine,maybe it will be ok to do so. This says its 320/800 but I've had mine several years so its worn down somewhat. I carry mine in a CK knives slip as the cheapo nylon pouch wears out quickly in a pocket.(sorry. Not OK)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2020
  2. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    @EngrSorenson
    If you think something is "off" about the post or the poster, please report the post and we'll look at it. We gots "skills".

Meanwhile, please don't post links to dealers who don't support BF.
    Just talk about the knives.

3. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I realize now that reporting isn’t necessarily a condemnation, and I’ll be sure to use that in the future, thank you- and kudos on being gentle about it.

oh okay- so hardly the “extra course” kind of stone to grind metal away fast. Maybe this D2 is a little softer than examples like Queen’s D2. Not necessarily a bad thing- Queen’s can be a bear to sharpen.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  4. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    No problem, I figured I was on shaky ground :thumbsup: sorry for the inconvenience, I could have easily sent the link via PM, and should have.

5. jlomein

jlomein

Apr 27, 2009
    The RRR003 Whittler is quickly becoming one of my favourites. It's mighty big compared to most of my other small traditional slipjoints, but not unusual to those who carry trappers, jumbo stockman, hunters, etc. The weight is too much for dress pants but carries nicely in jeans, especially in a slip to help it stay upright and cover the sharp back ends of the blades when closed. A slip called the MAM 3000 is a near perfect fit (has no retention though due to being soft suede).

The leaf shaped blade performs much like a Spyderco. It's sold out from the big hill store, but still in stock at a couple other dealers.

[​IMG]

6. Ogreman

Ogreman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2019
    On one of the last podcasts of the year, the designer of the #4 said it would not arrive this year. It is not even listed in the Coming Soon section yet. It will likely show up when they are back from vacation in the first full week of 2021.

7. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Still totin' this one around every day

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and since I picked it up in '2020' I used my 2020 embossing stamp on the sheath as a reminder ;)

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Happy New year to the porch and to all on BladeForums !
    G2

8. Nixelplix

Nixelplix

Mar 26, 2003
    From their Facebook page:
    [​IMG]

STDK likes this.
  9. Nixelplix

Nixelplix

Mar 26, 2003
    Looking at the photos on their website, the design is growing on me.

hughd and STDK like this.
  10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    That looks so scary to me. :eek:
    Waiting for the first person to chop off a finger with that thing.

11. bigfish64

bigfish64 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I’m going to stay with the advice my mom gave me...”If you can’t say something nice then...”

12. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    ......if you've got this thing in your pocket, it's not just your finger that may get chopped off :eek::eek:

RRR crazy.jpg

13. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Agree, that is a bad design. Having the caplifter on the spine of a sharp blade looks like a (tipsy) accident waiting to happen.

tmd_87 and JohnDF like this.
  14. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    While I like most RRs, IMHO the "Barback" is just bad knife design.
    Rich

15. rje58

rje58 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I think it's an interesting design. But I also think that they shouldn't sell it without a custom slip or pouch, due to the way the caplifter is exposed. So yes, without a supplied slip or pouch to offset those concerns, it does seem questionable.

I really like my RRR001 'One-Arm'. Haven't used it to do much, but the fit and finish is really good, especially for the price point. And it came quite sharp from the factory.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    tmd_87 and Nixelplix like this.
  16. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    They should have named it " the menacing finger-mangler".

JohnDF and bigfish64 like this.
  17. Ogreman

Ogreman Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2019
    I will take a shot on it for the $50 price. Wasn't going to pay $60 or more.

Already bought their pouches recently, so may use those if needed.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    johnnywizzo, Nixelplix and STDK like this.
  18. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    nothing redeeming about this pattern at all. I could (and do) defend the first 3... not this one. yikes.
    A shame really. The RRR001 showed the potential of this brand. Squandered.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  19. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    This is the first "traditional" I've ever seen with a finger choil, which is a modern knife design element in my eyes. (Cue someone coming in to show an old Imperial or something with a choil). I know the 110s had a variant, but still. This just reads as a very modern knife to me.

20. rje58

rje58 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I wouldn't consider it a "very modern knife." More modern influenced than most traditionals, perhaps. An Olamic Whippersnapper or some exotic Reate would be what more folks might consider "a very modern knife". Perhaps you meant a very modern knife - for one marketed as a traditional?