Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

This one is nice. Good first impressions. I would say the pull is about a 7 on mine. I can pinch it open, but only because it is an ez open design. The nail nick is a bit high on the blade to really use for opening. Beautiful fit and finish.
iIAnH1q.jpg

hbms50i.jpg

Shots fired at GEC. Competition is good. Excited to watch this brand progress, just like Civivi, and QSP, and CJRB. Id much rather buy american, but ya know what, when it takes overseas brands to push american brands to innovate again, everyone wins. I hope GEC notices and reacts to stay relevant.

John said above "As usual, they almost produce something nice, but have to do something funky." Have ya seen the GEC B&S knife? Or the pocket carver? Or that other funky #35 pattern? I'd prefer all three RRR patterns over those three GEC. YMMV.
American brands are relevant. Lol

Makael Makael I was more calling for rough ryder to come out with a lambsfoot in their premium line. That way there is an option that everyone can actually get without the mad scramble.

Having said that the 93 ramsfoot is my favorite pocket knife I own. I missed out on the lambsfoot run so it is basically my grail knife now as they are pretty much impossible to get.

Makael Makael I was more calling for rough ryder to come out with a lambsfoot in their premium line. That way there is an option that everyone can actually get without the mad scramble.

Having said that the 93 ramsfoot is my favorite pocket knife I own. I missed out on the lambsfoot run so it is basically my grail knife now as they are pretty much impossible to get.
Well you can do what I’ve done and look across the pond for lambsfoot knives. 😃
Minus the top one.

View attachment 1673447

Last edited:
Got my Common Stock today. I love large stockman patterns. In fact, I would really love a 4 3/4” or even a 5” stockman.

I almost never buy chinese stuff. I just prefer to give my money to American manufacturers first and European ones second. When I saw the common stock I knew I had to grit my teeth and buy one. I had been wanting a stockman with a cap-lifter for a while. I was considering dropping the coin and having a knife made to my exact standards. This is the only one I have found with a lifter instead of a spey.

I am impressed. For $60 this thing is very nice. Its finish is nicer than most any case stockman I have handled and the D2 steel is a nice upgrade from case standard steel as well. Walk and talk is perfect, the pull is just right, and WOW, very very sharp.

My Case/Bose premium stockmans are my standard carry. Nothing short of a custom will top them. Here it is next to my ebony Premium Stockman for reference.

589BEEF2-2661-410E-88F8-03552EA20320.jpeg8542BB36-0C9E-4F22-9EC1-59964D2FB6B4.jpegC6CA507D-FF50-4AA6-A82B-EB1FF092E773.jpeg7F1D944E-2649-4506-A57F-805668B9C5AB.jpeg

Got my Common Stock today. I love large stockman patterns. In fact, I would really love a 4 3/4” or even a 5” stockman.

I almost never buy chinese stuff. I just prefer to give my money to American manufacturers first and European ones second. When I saw the common stock I knew I had to grit my teeth and buy one. I had been wanting a stockman with a cap-lifter for a while. I was considering dropping the coin and having a knife made to my exact standards. This is the only one I have found with a lifter instead of a spey.

I am impressed. For $60 this thing is very nice. Its finish is nicer than most any case stockman I have handled and the D2 steel is a nice upgrade from case standard steel as well. Walk and talk is perfect, the pull is just right, and WOW, very very sharp.

My Case/Bose premium stockmans are my standard carry. Nothing short of a custom will top them. Here it is next to my ebony Premium Stockman for reference.

View attachment 1674269View attachment 1674270View attachment 1674271View attachment 1674272

Very nice.

So I received my RRR009 and I have to say it is a very nice slipjoint for the money. It is a very good design and well executed. I cannot find any flaws on mine worth mentioning and I am mostly pleased. However, I do think that RR really should stop building these knives with washers between the blade tangs and liners. All it does is add thickness to the knife and remove support for the blades. GEC has clearly demonstrated that they are not required for a quality slipjoint construction. RR I hope you are listening. I do not know whose idea it was, maybe someone thought it would be an inexpensive way to include custom-like features. But seriously, it adds nothing to the knives except bulk. I like what RR is doing with this series, but this really needs to stop, in my opinion.

So I received my RRR009 and I have to say it is a very nice slipjoint for the money. It is a very good design and well executed. I cannot find any flaws on mine worth mentioning and I am mostly pleased. However, I do think that RR really should stop building these knives with washers between the blade tangs and liners. All it does is add thickness to the knife and remove support for the blades. GEC has clearly demonstrated that they are not required for a quality slipjoint construction. RR I hope you are listening. I do not know whose idea it was, maybe someone thought it would be an inexpensive way to include custom-like features. But seriously, it adds nothing to the knives except bulk. I like what RR is doing with this series, but this really needs to stop, in my opinion.
i wonder if its a cheap way to get the Case/Bose collab. knives' milled liners effect.

However, I do think that RR really should stop building these knives with washers between the blade tangs and liners. All it does is add thickness to the knife and remove support for the blades. GEC has clearly demonstrated that they are not required for a quality slipjoint construction. RR I hope you are listening. I do not know whose idea it was, maybe someone thought it would be an inexpensive way to include custom-like features. But seriously, it adds nothing to the knives except bulk. I like what RR is doing with this series, but this really needs to stop, in my opinion.
I don't mean to be snarky, and I know there are a few folks - myself included - who actually use and carry their GEC knives, at least occasionally, but I'm not sure enough GEC knives actually get used often enough and in large enough numbers, to "prove" how well (or not) slipjoints without hold up to actual use, without washers. I heard a rumor that they might even start listing them on some the Precious Metals exchanges, for sale by the ounce. :D

I don't mean to be snarky, and I know there are a few folks - myself included - who actually use and carry their GEC knives, at least occasionally, but I'm not sure enough GEC knives actually get used often enough and in large enough numbers, to "prove" how well (or not) slipjoints without hold up to actual use, without washers. I heard a rumor that they might even start listing them on some the Precious Metals exchanges, for sale by the ounce. :D
I use mine so do many others.

Back