Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

The 006 isn't to my taste. The 007 looks nice. I noticed that the weight wasn't listed. Hard to tell frame size from pics, but length wise its right there with the Buck 112, which is some tough competition.

May have said it before here but the 008 Stockman is an excellent knife. Fit and finish is top notch and the D2 blades are razor sharp out of the box. I also like that they replaced the spey blade with a cap lifter. For less than $60 imho you can’t go wrong. 😃
View attachment 1584079
That is an excellent solution. Me likey. Not enough to go buy a D2 slipjoint (those days have passed since Queen's passing), but still a very nice direction.

In general I think the RRR knives are very well made. However, I would prefer that the multi-blade knives were not build with spacers around each blade. This really adds to the thickness of the knife and is not necessary, in my opinion. This design choice is resulting in well made, but thick and heavy knives.

While I really like the Rhino Toe pattern (RRR006), I want to know if it is build with spacers and with a brass liner between the blades, like the others. If so, this would probably make the knife very thick and heavy. Unfortunately the SMKW web page does not have any edge-on views of the knife to make an assessment.

If anyone gets an RRR006 it would be great to see some photos.

- yep, have to agree..........the RRR008 is a very good solid working knife.

D2 steel, cutting edge a shade under 3", very well finished - and a good handful, unlike some Stockmen.

gBcA7Rbl.jpg

Is it ridiculous? Yes, but I still love it.

PWGpMwXm.jpg

The Reserve 007 arrived today. First impressions, I like the overall shape and size of the knife. Weight is 3.7 ounces.
jNAkxP0.jpg

The micarta handles are smooth, very little to no texture to feel on them. Smooth transitions between the shield and scales.

The fuller prefers right hand opening, but obviously the knife is easily pinched open with either hand. There is side to side play when open.
oxJm3vL.jpg

One of the properties of micarta I like is the color variance. In the sun you can see some of the pattern pop out that isn't quite as obvious in the shade or indoors.

ywTiF0K.jpg

The knife has a half stop. The backspring protrudes slightly when in the half stop position.

liQxNsu.jpg

While a nice knife, I am not entirely sure this one should be "reserve" status, I was immediately more impressed with my 001, but I guess neither one was perfect. I still appreciate what SMKW and RR are trying to do with the reserve series!

k6aR3xl.jpg

Does anyone know if there will be more RRR patterns in the future? I hear rumors that Andy Armstrong who designed these knives is no longer with SMKW.

That is no rumor about the designer leaving. He had a thread on Facebook last Saturday asking who was going to buy the Nomad. I replied saying I just bought it the night before and bragged on how much I liked the 008 Common Stock. Well, the thread kept going and he eventually said in the thread that he left at the end of June so he wasn't sure how it would be in the future with the RRR line. He had an opportunity in a startup that was too good to pass up. All I know beyond that (from a Youtube video) is that they already have the prototypes for the next two RRR batches (4 knives each) already being built. Have no idea after that.

This comes after he already left the much loved Guys Talk Knives (which no longer exists) at the very end of 2020. Happy for the guy because he did a ton for SMKW, but not sure where that leaves the RRR line for the future. I am stopping on the Common Stock for now after buying all the RRRs but the Rhino Toe (not paying $60 when the $20 RR Elephant Toe is great) so far. Speaking for myself only, RRR will have to be very special for me going forward to keep buying them. For example, something like a Lanny's Clip would be great!

That is no rumor about the designer leaving. He had a thread on Facebook last Saturday asking who was going to buy the Nomad. I replied saying I just bought it the night before and bragged on how much I liked the 008 Common Stock. Well, the thread kept going and he eventually said in the thread that he left at the end of June so he wasn't sure how it would be in the future with the RRR line. He had an opportunity in a startup that was too good to pass up. All I know beyond that (from a Youtube video) is that they already have the prototypes for the next two RRR batches (4 knives each) already being built. Have no idea after that.

This comes after he already left the much loved Guys Talk Knives (which no longer exists) at the very end of 2020. Happy for the guy because he did a ton for SMKW, but not sure where that leaves the RRR line for the future. I am stopping on the Common Stock for now after buying all the RRRs but the Rhino Toe (not paying $60 when the $20 RR Elephant Toe is great) so far. Speaking for myself only, RRR will have to be very special for me going forward to keep buying them. For example, something like a Lanny's Clip would be great!
Thanks for your response! I have all of the RRR patterns with the exception of the Nomad. I was thinking about buying it if that was going to be the end of the RRR line. But I really don't think that I want to purchase another 9 RRR knives just to put them away in the collection.

Well I wish Andy Armstrong better luck designing knives in the future.
I can safely say that the best of these knives, so far, are the ones that emulate traditional knives.
The designs on the rest seem like they were different for being different, not so much different out of necessity, or any practical consideration.

The use of D2 makes me tempted.

I like that steel in my Queens. Although, now that I think about it....one of my favorite Queens in D2 popped a spring...

Slightly off topic . . .sorry. But does anyone know if the "damascus" blades on the new cinnamon range is actual damascus steel or just a clever etch or cnc'ing ?
I asked the folks at SMKW about this. I wanted to know if I needed to oil the blade on mine. They replied that it is carbon steel and needs to be oiled to prevent corrosion

Just ordered a trio of these RRR today. Got a 005 (Hedgehog), 007 (Nomad Hunter) and the newer 009 (Ez open Swayback).
I'm not a big fan of the 001 razor pattern, but i need to admit the new 001BM looks nice with these brown burlap scales.

They are not cheap (for Rough ryder brand), i know they will not be the same quality/F&F than my GEC, but i think they will make great working blades. The Hedgehod could be a nice whittler/edc, the Nomad looks like it could be a great outdoor user and i had to get the Swayback because the only Rough Ryder left in my collection is the RR2038 and even if it's the cheapest knife in my collection, it's one of my most used one. (Even if i have a GEC #47 Burlap).

Any idea which pattern the 010 gonna be? A single bladed Barlow (Spear or Clip) would be awesome!

I ordered a swayback, so pics will be up once it arrives! I was going to get the one arm razor, but since I already have it in the blue micarta, I decided to get the dark denim sowbelly, and the red bolster lock trapper (non-reserve). SMKW has its hand in my wallet a bit much this month!

Last edited:
Back