S&W Model 629 PC 2 5/8

The base could have three feet extra out one side but you should still be able to drift it far enough that the centre of the ramp is aligned with the centre-line of the bore. Looking at the pic above it does not look too far different, have you measured the protrusion of the dovetail base each side relevant to the centre-line of the sight ramp ?

It really looks like it just needs drifting to the left so as that centre of the front (orange) ramp is aligned with the green vertical line.. the base looks like it will be about right as well. But these are from pics so the perspective may be well off....

the base is different in length vertically on the right side. It would be impossible to drift it left. The right side base is flush pressed against the barrel

Now I see what you are describing. Then as it sits that seems to be where it BELONGS (if it is made with limiting length as it appears). That seems strange and unusual ! Are you a member of the S&W forums ? Those guys would answer this in a flash.

It looks odd to say the least ! (OK by odd I mean crap, but I was trying to be nice). Probably why I have not bought a new ‘Smith since the 80s.

View attachment 995040 View attachment 995041 Guys — I can’t believe I didn’t notice this sooner. I think this may be normal and the way it’s “supposed” to be. Look at the pictures — there’s no way the front sight could be centered even if they wanted to. One side of the front side mount is longer than the other

It's hard to believe how that one got out of the Performance Center. I mean, that should have been caught if it were regular production, but this is a PC gun. Man oh man.

I would shoot it to confirm it is accurate the way it is. If it is I would call SW and tell them I am sending it back and want the front sight to be centered and be accurate.
I have had a couple revolvers that shot so off I could not drift the sight enough to make up for it. One was a Smith and one was a Ruger.

Hey All,

Thank you to everyone for the great advice and assistance — special shout out to Andy and Gene for their efforts in helping me zero in on the issue and how to resolve it.

I took it the shop that I picked it up from and they all agreed that Smith & Wesson needed to see exactly what nonsense they allowed out without them attributing something to me. If it comes back and still isn’t quite right — I’ll have a much stronger case for a brand new one that. I’ll keep you all posted with what I hear back. You people are amazing and once again I’m proud to consider you all friends!

Some firearms companies have fallen into the deplorable practice of letting the customer be the QC control. The one I have had the most problems with is Ruger. I have a GP100 Match Champion 10mm revolver boxed right now to send back (on Ruger's dime) because it simply will not eject empties because they bind so much. (Yes, before anyone asks, I did use the moon clips.) However, I have a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt that is simply superb. What you get is a crap shoot.[/QUOTE]

Yall should see what Sig Sauer let's out of Exeter or wherever they are these days.
Sig used to have an impeccable reputation.
Not so much anymore.
Point being, its sure more than just S&W.

It is sad to hear this about S&W, Ruger, Sig Sauer and others (like Remington). I used to consider all of these as the bedrock of quality, and 20+ years ago they were (maybe even more recently). I blame management taking too many shortcuts and sacrificing quality to boost profits – it makes shareholders happy, but they slowly kill their business this way. :(

It is sad to hear this about S&W, Ruger, Sig Sauer and others (like Remington). I used to consider all of these as the bedrock of quality, and 20+ years ago they were (maybe even more recently). I blame management taking too many shortcuts and sacrificing quality to boost profits – it makes shareholders happy, but they slowly kill their business this way. :(

I agree. And with respect to Remington, some of it isn’t even QC, but is rather design. I picked up a new Rem 700 bolt action recently that had a non-adjustable 5.5 lb trigger. That’s extremely heavy for a bolt action rifle that will be scoped, in my opinion. And it wasn’t even a smooth 5.5–it was full of gravel. I know they had the trigger litigation but it was a safety mechanism issue rather than a pull weight issue, so I can’t even blame the lawyers here.

I also had an infallible Glock issue recently, wherein one of the new mags that came with my G26 had a spring failure after what I’d estimate about 50-70 rounds having been run through it, after which I loaded it with defense ammo and carried it. Was unloading that mag one day about a month later and the rounds got real sloppy after I pulled about 3 from the mag. Always carry a spare mag! And replace your Glock springs with good aftermarket springs!

That's really sad to say the least. I used to have a Lew Horton 629-5 snubby that was perfect...well besides the extra noise and blast. You may want to look for one of those Horton snubbies with the beautiful grips also, but they aren't too cheap these days if you can locate one. Well good luck with getting it fixed like its supposed to be from the get go and sorry to hear about this new smith being so badly made for you.

Talk about yer bedrock USA companies...
My FIL repaired Tecumseh and Briggs&Stratton small engines from 1960-90's.
He was astonished how parts changed from quality metal to pot metal, from pot metal to plastic, and from plastic to lower quality, cheaper plastic.:thumbsdown:
These changes many times resulted in savings of FRACTIONS of CENTS per unit.
Unfortunately, when these Titanic USA companies sink lower than Davey Jones locker the blame often is cast on the iceberg that is the shareholders and/or market climate.
But it's a fact that the poor decisions of the captain and greedily cutting corners on rivets and plate steel is what truly sank the Titanic. :(
Rob, I hope you're made whole soon.
Everyone here agrees what happened to you sucks and it deeply saddens us that so many iconic USA co's have sold out, shut down, or have resorted to turning out crap.

Last edited:
He was astonished how parts changed from quality metal to pot metal, from pot metal to plastic, and from plastic to lower quality, cheaper plastic.:thumbsdown:
Unfortunately, when these Titanic USA companies sink lower than Davey Jones locker the blame often is cast on the iceberg that is the shareholders and/or market climate.
But it's a fact that the poor decisions of the captain and greedily cutting corners on rivets and plate steel is what sank truly the Titanic. :(
Rob, I hope you're made whole soon.
Everyone here agrees what happened to you sucks and it deeply saddens us that so many iconic USA co's have sold out, shut down, or have resorted to turning out crap.

Petey2P1,
While I agree whole-heartedly with just about everything you said, don't forget about the fact that everything has gone this way. Most Americans want the absolute cheapest products & services their money can buy. Very few Americans are willing to fork out the Cold Hard Cash to purchase a quality made item produced in America by fellow Americans with quality materials & crafsmanship. Wally's is a perfect example. When Sam Walton was alive he prided himself and his Corporation on providing Quality Made In America merchandise (especially Textiles.). The stores were full of American Flags hanging over displays with Large Signs Reading, "Proudly Made in the U.S.A." Now his heirs have Sold their Souls to Greed & Corporate Profits. They are even Predatory in their Practice of Ruining American companies, so they can buy their Assets for pennies on the dollar from a Bank or Financial Institution after an Induced Default or Forclosure then packing them up and sending them Overseas somewhere. But just remember a large part of the process is Americans wanting & even demanding the absolute cheapest products at the cheapest products. When Americans are willing to pay more for better Quality & to support Americans, then & only then will this type of thing ever change. Unfortunately, we have already, as a country, turned the corner and it will be very difficult to stem the tide and return to days of old when American made products were some of the best Worlwide and highly coveted outside our shores. American made products are still coveted and collected worldwide, unfortunately they are almost all pre 70's & even 60's items.
Here at Busse Combat Forums, it should be fairly obvious to most Hogs, etc... because we are all purchasing superiorly made, quality items, Made in America, of American materials, by Americans and are freely willing to shell out the Cash to make such purchases. I certainly won't ever buy the Gerber Bear Gryllis Chinese made Cr-p they sell out of the cabinet at Wally's (Sorry Gerber, but Schrade, Kershaw, and the others are not much different). I would NEVER EVER Pull out any of that junk when my life was on the line. Hopefully some of this is being changed by the current people in charge who once again want to put America first.
With all that being said, back to the OPs issue, No excuse to let Cr-p escape the factory, especially when it is produced and labeled as Their Premium product. Someone has to continue to put Quality and Customer Satisfaction above a few cents. Rob, hopefully they take care of it No Questions asked to your satisfaction. Either by fixing, repairing to New/Perfect condition or a replacement. This item after all, is produced and even Intended for those times when Indeed, your life may be on the line.
Good luck with your resolution,
Surfsidemel

I agree. And with respect to Remington, some of it isn’t even QC, but is rather design. ...

I agree with both of you. When I earlier said "sacrificing quality", I was talking about the lowering of product quality (by design) by using cheaper parts, materials and production methods; and as I said before, I blame the decisions of management for this reduction of quality in order to boost short-term profits.

I was truly shocked when I heard about Remington going bankrupt. Here are some interesting observations in a financial article about what is called "Remington Outdoor Company" (a group of firearm companies including Remington):
"At the same time, the company did not help themselves by hiring financial managers rather than gun people to run the company.
Immediately following their acquisitions, gun owners quickly noted the significant drop in quality in firearms, especially with well-known brands like Bushmaster and Marlin."
Here is the full article: https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...t-vista-outdoor-ruger-american-outdoor-brands

So, we know the answer: use good materials and production methods, but do the overpaid idiots running the firearm companies? Sadly, I doubt it. :(:mad:

I agree with both of you. When I earlier said "sacrificing quality", I was talking about the lowering of product quality (by design) by using cheaper parts, materials and production methods; and as I said before, I blame the decisions of management for this reduction of quality in order to boost short-term profits.

I was truly shocked when I heard about Remington going bankrupt. Here are some interesting observations in a financial article about what is called "Remington Outdoor Company" (a group of firearm companies including Remington):
"At the same time, the company did not help themselves by hiring financial managers rather than gun people to run the company.
Immediately following their acquisitions, gun owners quickly noted the significant drop in quality in firearms, especially with well-known brands like Bushmaster and Marlin."
Here is the full article: https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...t-vista-outdoor-ruger-american-outdoor-brands

So, we know the answer: use good materials and production methods, but do the overpaid idiots running the firearm companies? Sadly, I doubt it. :(:mad:

Sorry for the swerve, but the middle class in USA is an endangered species...

Most days I don't have enough straw to make my tally of bricks, but even then the taskmaster cracks the whip and ups my count...even Pharaoh didn't do that. :(

Here's my 19-3 ( 1977 ) 2.5" .38/.357
If ya like, they can be found on gun broker.
This ole gal is a real witch. The single and double action pulls are just wonderful!
3NirrdM.jpg

I have about all the guns I want right now except a SS Marlin 45/70 guide gun. Anymore I get I will be looking for older models. Several of the last ones I have gotten I have had to upgrade.
Ruger 10/22s sold one with the plastic trigger group and replaced another with an older metal trigger.
Colt Defender and a Kimber Pro TLE ll. Replaced the plastic main spring housing with steel on the Kimber and alum on the Colt with Ed Brown housings. Tell me why that is the only plastic part on firearms that run 900 -1300
Ruger mark 3 the only thing Ruger needed to do to the mark 2 was to give it a thumb mag release but they added two more useless parts,the firing pin disconnect and loaded chamber indicator. So to make it right had to replace the disconnect with a bushing and the indicator with a filler tab. Don't even want to go there on the Mark 4s,I would not own one.

Petey2P1,
While I agree whole-heartedly with just about everything you said, don't forget about the fact that everything has gone this way. Most Americans want the absolute cheapest products & services their money can buy. Very few Americans are willing to fork out the Cold Hard Cash to purchase a quality made item produced in America by fellow Americans with quality materials & crafsmanship. Wally's is a perfect example. When Sam Walton was alive he prided himself and his Corporation on providing Quality Made In America merchandise (especially Textiles.). The stores were full of American Flags hanging over displays with Large Signs Reading, "Proudly Made in the U.S.A." Now his heirs have Sold their Souls to Greed & Corporate Profits. They are even Predatory in their Practice of Ruining American companies, so they can buy their Assets for pennies on the dollar from a Bank or Financial Institution after an Induced Default or Forclosure then packing them up and sending them Overseas somewhere. But just remember a large part of the process is Americans wanting & even demanding the absolute cheapest products at the cheapest products. When Americans are willing to pay more for better Quality & to support Americans, then & only then will this type of thing ever change. Unfortunately, we have already, as a country, turned the corner and it will be very difficult to stem the tide and return to days of old when American made products were some of the best Worlwide and highly coveted outside our shores. American made products are still coveted and collected worldwide, unfortunately they are almost all pre 70's & even 60's items.
Here at Busse Combat Forums, it should be fairly obvious to most Hogs, etc... because we are all purchasing superiorly made, quality items, Made in America, of American materials, by Americans and are freely willing to shell out the Cash to make such purchases. I certainly won't ever buy the Gerber Bear Gryllis Chinese made Cr-p they sell out of the cabinet at Wally's (Sorry Gerber, but Schrade, Kershaw, and the others are not much different). I would NEVER EVER Pull out any of that junk when my life was on the line. Hopefully some of this is being changed by the current people in charge who once again want to put America first.
With all that being said, back to the OPs issue, No excuse to let Cr-p escape the factory, especially when it is produced and labeled as Their Premium product. Someone has to continue to put Quality and Customer Satisfaction above a few cents. Rob, hopefully they take care of it No Questions asked to your satisfaction. Either by fixing, repairing to New/Perfect condition or a replacement. This item after all, is produced and even Intended for those times when Indeed, your life may be on the line.
Good luck with your resolution,
Surfsidemel
Agree 100% with this. Companies keep making cheaper and lower quality products because the majority of people keep buying it even when they have the option to buy the higher grade model. The Remingtin 700 is a prime example. Once upon a time the BDL with It's glossy walnut and deep blueing was what everyone wanted. Then came the cheaper to produce ADL with it's blind magazine, matte finish and composite stocks, and people bought them like they were going out of style. Before you know it that wasnt cheap enough and new even cheaper models started showing up and they continue to sell.

Back