SAK: best-ever-most-perfect-ideal...?

You get the idea! - Probably everyone who's got a SAK or 2 thinks there's something on it that's missing and something that's superfluous. I've got a champ and I find it so overly-useful that it's a bit useless - ie it's too bulky to carry in my pocket, so it goes in my bag when I'm carrying one. So I got to thinking about exactly what I'd want in a pocket-carriable SAK that would be just enough and no more. (I think someone else posted in another thread recently about the fact that a custom SAK shop doesn't exist but I bet we all wish one did!) Here goes:

ON:
- large blade (non locking; I prefer to carry a dedicated single-blade locking knife)
- reamer (as on Soldier; instead of small blade - never figured why that'd be much more useful than a large blade)
- scissors
- bottle opener/large flat screwdriver
- can opener/small screwer
- philips screwdriver on back (instead of corkscrew... anyone actually ever use that effectively?)
- hook (only because it'd be a 3-layer so there'd be a space for something on the back, and it might come in use sometimes)

I realise there's a few SAKs that come close to that, but they all either have something extra or something left off; probably I'll settle for a pioneer (alox scales too!) when I go shopping for a simple SAK to accompany my champ. (of course, someone let me know if Victorinox does do a SAK exactly like I listed - my dream come true!)

So... what's your idea of the best-ever-most-perfect-ideal SAK?

Soldiers don't have a small blade, maybe you're thinking of the Cadet 2.

the Alox Farmer is prettymuch the perfect combination for me. It has:

Large, stout blade
Soldier-style Awl
Bottle Opener and Can Opener, each with driver tips
Saw

Having two different screwdrivers is nice. The awl or large driver can be used for prying. The blade is extra thick, which has its pros and cons but for woodworking it's nice having that extra rigidness. Saw is also used in the woods. Can opener is nice for longer stays in the outdoors when canned food is brought and bottle opener opens my friends beers for them. Alox scales too.

Welcome to Bladeforums!

moving-van.jpg

I'm a fan of all SAKs but i am partial to the 111mm lockblades. The Rucksack, Trekker (OH or not), and Forester all seem about ideal to me. I would be interested in a 3-layer 91mm that featured both a corkscrew and a T-phillips. You might end up needing to make it 4 layers just for the width, but 4 layers isn't so pocketable. I guess the quest continues.

I've got a champ and I find it so overly-useful that it's a bit useless - ie it's too bulky to carry in my pocket
I know people that carry their champs attached to keyring carbiners. Usually solves the problem. I have one, and the few times I carry it, it goes in a (generic) nylon sheath....I don't like carrying folders in sheaths.

Actually, I like having scissors available, but a Leatherman Micra is better for that purpose. I get along fine with my Spartan, but in hindsight, I think a Tinker would have been better. I don't drink, and I have limited use for the corkscrew. Phillips would definetely see more use.

FYI, I found that the can opener works well for prying and opening nuts.

The perfect SAK for me would be the Farmer with a scissors instead of a saw.

I have been EDCing a SwissChamp for the last couple of months and it's fine for me as follows: I cary it in vertical position alongside my wallet in my right rear pants pocket (I'm right-handed). I have a simple lanyard on it, and when I put it in my pocket the lanyard goes in last, on top of the end of the knife that has the key ring. That way, I can pull it out from my trousers pocket easily by just grasping the lanyard and then pulling the knife out by pulling the lanyard. I like having a lanyard anyway on my larger SAKs because it is handy in a number of situations, including opening blades one-handed (when my other hand is holding something else, and I just hold the lanyard between my teeth).

I also EDC a Vic Executive just to have a smaller, more socially-acceptable SAK handy for situations where others might be knife-averse. Plus, I really, really like the nail file on that Exec!

- Tim

I keep going back & forth between the Pioneer & the Farmer, I just can't decide which one is perfect!

My favorite SAK is an old Huntsman that I got as a boy in about 1983 or so. It was my only knife for many years, saw quite a bit of use and abuse, and is still going strong. I recently "retired" it so I could pass it on to my daughter when she's old enough.

To replace my Huntsman, I got an Outrider, which has almost the same implements as a Huntsman, but in 111mm with a locking blade. It's only shortcoming is that it is a bit too much for loose pocket carry.

How about Alox Farmer with scissors AND saw! Can't go without the saw!! :D

Currently edc-ing my Wenger Handyman - love it.

The handyman is nice, still use mine, but I'd change a few things. Take out the nailfile or replace it with a small blade and remove the scissors.

I've been moving to the Outrider model. Fits my needs and specs.

Still ahve some basic models floating around, but the Outrider is the main component in my BOB's and carry.

Ohhh I wish they'ed make a Huntsman in alox. Then I would never ask for anything ever again.

Ohhh I wish they'ed make a Huntsman in alox. Then I would never ask for anything ever again.

Aren't the scales all the same on all the 83mm SAKs?
Why couldn't you just purchase a SAK with the alox scales, pop them off and put them on your huntsman?
I'm thinking about doing something like that.

I took off the scales on my SAK and took a close look at the rivets.
Anyone know how they are fastened. They look like the pin should be pressed removeable, but they won't budge with some blows with hammer and punch. Anyone ever try to disassemble their SAK to customize?

I've only gone as far are making new stag or bone scales for mine.

SAK's are great in that you can choose which tools you use the most. Somtimes you have to accept a useless tool or two but, what the heck. This has never stopped me from buying a SAK. I really beilive the most useless tool is the corkscrew..I know I will get a good Flame for saying this but, in our modern times this tool is useless! I can see 10,000 Frenchman now with picket signs!!!

You must not be using it right... I use it for opening wine bottles, untying knots, holding the mini screwdriver, lock release for the heads on my toothbrush and a number of other things

Aren't the scales all the same on all the 83mm SAKs?
Why couldn't you just purchase a SAK with the alox scales, pop them off and put them on your huntsman?
I'm thinking about doing something like that.

The Alox scales do not "pop" off, there is no inner liner like there is on the Cellidor and nylon handles. And none of the 84mm or 91mm Alox models are lobsters, so no cutout for corkscrews, etc.

I can't really describe my ideal SAK because I want a whole bunch of tools but I don't want more than 2 layers. :confused:

However, I am very pleased with my Vic Spartan.

Back