SAK: best-ever-most-perfect-ideal...?

I have a recruit, huntsman and a swiss champ with a OHT trekker on the way. Right now the huntsmans is my favorite but that may change soon!
D'oh !I just noticed the Fireman version of the OHT trekker online and i'm having corkscrew envy,lol.
Hmm do they make scissors for that frame size? I'm thinking buy a OHT fireman and mod it. Keep the main blade/ woodsaw/canopener/bottle opener/awl/corkscrew etc but dump that secondary saw/gutting blade thingy and replace it with the scissors! Basically you would have a OHT trekker with all the primary tools of the huntsman!
I'm thinking that would be my ideal SAK!

An outrider with the addition of a serrated curved blade,
(like the jumpmaster)
and a liner lock from the black models rather then the scale lock.
I prefer the black scales as well.

Maybe this one??? :D

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

i like to keep things really simple i use a large single blade cadet as a neck knife its perfect.

Maybe this one???

standard.jpg

standard.jpg
Damn thats sweet. Where did you get it? (a link to the source if you have one). Is that factory or a mod? If its a mod how difficult was it? I just bought a Victorinox OHT a couple of weeks ago and the only thing that i don't like about it is that damn philips screwdriver(want the corkscrew) and its lack of scissors. Your knife solves all those problems. I'm contemplating buying an outrider and canninbalising it to make my OHT perfect like your knife. But if i can buy one like yours factory made that would be good too!
:D

thanks, glad that you like it! :D

Bill Evans over on SOSAK forum on knifeforums.com modded it for me. I sent him my Bundes-OHT and an Outridder as a donar. He said that it was kind of a pain to do because the blade pivot pens are different sizes on the one hand / liner lock knives vs. the sidelock knives. He just posted up the pictures of it last night, and hopefully I will have it sometime next week.

After several SAKs, I decided on the perfect setup for me. I found it this past summer at SMKW in the form of the Victorinox Fieldmaster. It has in the body:
large blade
small blade
can opener
bottle opener
scissors
saw
on the back:
philips head
hook
reamer

The tricky bit for me was the combo of scissors, saw and philips head. If the philips head was inline it would be even more perfect than it is.

Revolver Geek thanks for the info. Excellent! Have fun with it, it looks like a great mod! Hmmm does he mod professionally? I have a membership at knife forums, whats his user name over there? I've searched over there but can't find that post.
I've been building up towards modding SAK's myself, been buying a few small SAK lots on ebay to play with before attempting a OHT mod. But if i he is open to new customers i might just round up a outrider to send with my OHT and ask him to do it. Cool!

Excuse my popping in on this..Bill's handle over there is Scibeer..one of several great modders over in SOSAK. He rehabbed/rescaled a worn out and hard worked V'nox Mauser for me a couple months back..and it's a beaut.

tholiver,

His screenname is Scibeer. I don't know if he calls himself a professional, but he does outstanding work. You have to be a member of the SOSAK subforum, not just knifeforums, to see the posts.

Join SOSAK here:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/31/

Read about them here:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/785032/
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/786550/
Thanks for the info! I just posted in the "I want to join SOSAK thread" over there.
I'm going to start my first modding project this week (an 84mm mod), that is if the !@#$! snow will let up. Up until recently this winter we've had practically no snow,then all of a sudden 3 major storms in the last 10 days!
:grumpy:

Bill Evans AKA 'Scibeer' over on the SOSAK forum. I sent him a Mountaineer, Waiter, Cybertool, Explorer and Serrated Spartan to tear down and harvest parts out of. It ended up with serrated large blade, combo tool, metal file/saw, pliers, cybertool bit holder, magnifying glass, fold out the end phillips, corkscrew, precision screwdriver and stick pin. I wanted something that gave me the maximum density of tools that I would actually use at work (server room/desktop PC/AV equipment mostly) with as little extra as possible. I have also found a source of 4mm bits for the driver in different sizes and styles, so I am debating how I want to rig a little carrier for them. I am debating putting a set of StayGlow scales on it.

Bill is currently transplanting the scissors, long small phillips and corkscrew out of a Victo Outrider into a Bundeswehr OHT Trekker for me right now. I probably should have had him take the saw out of that one, but ah well, it might come in handy one day. I love the B-OHT, but missed the scissors and corkscrew several evenings when I was only carrying it ( and yes, I do actually use the corkscrew to open bottles of wine :D).

Danny

Can you share your source for the 4mm bits in different sizes/styles? I have been searching for other options but have not found the right type.

new guy here-glad to have found someplace with folks who also dig SAKs as much as i do- i guess ive got about 40 or so-all different sizes and types-and all but 3 Vic-my very first SAk was a simple wenger 'climber style' which i still own, sans scales-this has to be from about 1961

my all time favorite-the Vic Ranger-IMHO the ultimate for outdoors-and best compromise between tools and size-just me and my needs -

and, of course, was the first VIC SAK I really had-and had it i did for many years, many trips and many many climbs all over the world until i lost it about two-three years ago on a day hike here in Colorado-lost a very very old friend-shackle version from 1967 or so-so i replaced it

BUT to me a modern Ranger in
stay glo-would float my boat

hope they make this sometime-im guessing the yellow is not to most tastes

or

the one handed fireman-with scissors instead of the belt cutter
in stay glo- love the feel of this sized Vic-and yes i have 2 rescue tools on order-love my outrider and picnicker -and even my wenger everest (but not as much)-

i climb and hike quite a bit and while the traditional red shows up well overall-

BUT at altitude, even after sun down with reflected UV off clouds or the atmoshpere-the stay glo is just amazing for visibility-looks like its glowing in the diminishing daylight

More great sites for SAK collectors include:
- sosakonline.com
- the SOSAK forum on knifeforums.com

- Tim

All the tools on a silver alox Vic Farmer but with a one handed liner locking main blade, metal saw, a smaller secondary blade and a slightly longer than average corkscrew and maybe a straight metal pocket clip.

i see alox is popular
and i have one, a soldier with a signature engraved blade that came with me SAK 'history' book

are these popular because they are traditional, old school, just plain practical or what?

Yeah alox is cool and slightly thinner than the celidor scales but alox SAK's don't have the corkscrew/philips, hook, awl, gadgets on the back/spine.
The question is why exactly can't alox SAK's have spine tools? Surely it COULD be done.

Ultimate SAK

Soldier model with a higher grade blade steel like ATS-34 or VG-10 etc.

Back