SAK: best-ever-most-perfect-ideal...?

I think I would like a soldier with a framelock, scissors and at least 154CM steel. Also, replace the bottle opener with a combo tool and the can opener with a phillips screwdriver.

The woodsman is my favorite but is hard to find now. Its an explorer with the saw added. It would be perfect if t had the combo tool instead of the can opener/flat screwdriver layer.

I'm in the process of making that model now and it will be my edc for sure.

Hi everyone. Pretty new to this forum but I've been lurking for a few weeks.

I have a Swiss Champ that stays in my car's survival kit (too bulky and heavy for my tastes) and my keychain permanently wears a Swisslite Classic (great knife but I wish the light were white and bright and were at the same end as the knife so I could see what I'm cutting!).

My ideal SAK for survival purposes would have a large locking non-serrated blade that you can open one handed (like the GAK, but with a higher quality steel), a wood saw blade for making traps, a metal saw/file for urban use, phillips and flat screwdrivers, a can opener, and the glow-in-the-dark handle would have the built in whistle (like the Whistle Classic but high-decibel) at one end and a built in ultra-bright white LED light at the other.

Is this too much to ask?

I think that SAK companies would make a fortune by making "make your own" knives. You go online and choose which features you want and they put it together for you. There would be some limitations, of course, as to what tools could go together because of space issues. Wouldn't it be great to have the exact knife you want instead of having to settle for the one that's closest to your ideal knife and forgo a feature of have features you don't use?

Just my .002.

Kage

well, i just pulled out an old SAK that i got from someone who got it from someone a long time ago to go and give it to my brother as his first knife (i ended up giving him a smaller keychain size one because it is less bulky and better suited to his little hands). the blade has been sharpened very roughly on something like smooth concrete or a course rock or maybe a large file. it is quite rough, but incredibly sharp. whoever did this knew what he was doing, but just didn't have the patience (or maybe the tools) to smooth it up. anyways, i took it out with us anyways, and i pulled it out and started using the big blade for cutting fuzz sticks and things (this was my brother's first lesson in woodcraft) and i discovered how sturdy and able this knife was. after thinking about it for a long time, i think the perfect list for me would be:
-big blade
-little blade that opens in the other direction
-maybe a wood saw

i think it would most likely be better for me to just get an opinel or something (something else i am interested in getting) for simply the one blade, but maybe i could get one of the basic designs seen here:

http://www.swissarmy.com/multitools/Category.htm?category=garden&

i do like the look of the recruit though;
http://www.victorinox.com/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=169&lang=E

almost exactly what i want. i think that they would make a killing doing that build your own knife deal

edited to add: i think i just found the perfect combination for me:
http://www.wengerna.com/browse/product.jsp?prod_id=943&cat_id=1&cat_name=Knives&sub_cat_id=18

by the way, has anyone looked at wenger for other knife combinations? wenger is owned by victorinox, but they offer different combinations and it appears that they have some really interesting new designs.

http://www.wengerna.com/browse/browse.jsp?cat_id=1

there are some really interesting combinations, and i am really quite fascinated by them

get a Farmer:

DSC01231-1.jpg

1) Take my Cybertool 34 and remove the can opener/bottle opener layer, the small blade and the pliers and add a combo tool and red G10 scales. That would make it much slimer, grippier and keep all the tools that I regularly use.

2) Take my Bundeswehr OHT and replace the phillips with a cork screw, notch it to carry a pin and add a layer with a pair of scissors. Maybe add a pocker clip to it also.

If you want to carry a thicker SAK in a pocket comfortably, put it in your back pocket next to your wallet. I carry a SAK Ranger all the time - comfortably. Works for longer models too.

If you want to carry a thicker SAK in a pocket comfortably, put it in your back pocket next to your wallet. I carry a SAK Ranger all the time - comfortably. Works for longer models too.

That's how I EDC my SwissChamnp. I never know it's there until I need it!

- Tim

I think I would like a soldier with a framelock, scissors and at least 154CM steel. Also, replace the bottle opener with a combo tool and the can opener with a phillips screwdriver.

Gadgetman, you describe almost perfectly the Leatherman Charge Ti. I think both the XTi and the Ti are two of the best SAK-style multitools around. They have loads of tools with incredible 154CM steel on the blades with hard tool steel, and a diamond tipped file as well.

I used to have a great SAK made by Victorinox. Perhaps members can post its name as I've forgotten it. It had every bell and whistle on it including a small watch on one handle, a saw, file, small wrench, ruler, magnifying glass, hook, knives, pen, etc. The watch was a particular highlight.

My biggest problem was the weakness of the steel. Although heavy and bulky to carry, I used to like to carry it when I needed a tool. When I started to use it for utility use on concerts, I found the blade would chip when subjected to moderate use and the wrench was all but useless for any screws that weren't tiny.

The built in flat head screw drivers simply could not handle the torque that I would need as well. I was so disappointed. Since buying my LM Charge XTi I have never looked back. I am glad I did not discover the Victorinox's weakness while in a survival situation. I know I can depend on my LM for relatively hard use, and that makes me happy to know I can rely on it.

one of these:

Mechanic lite with serrated main blade, pruning secondary blade, and stayglo scales.

non-locking workchamp lite w/ scissors replaced by a serrated knife, stayglo scales

Copper alox pioneer.

Hi I'm new here. I've finally settled on the Vic Fieldmaster which is simply a Huntsman with a Phillips instead of a cork screw. Too bad there is no Alox model.

Here's my custom Cybertool, now officially perfect for work. I have a custom Bundeswehr OHT being worked on at this moment to make my perfect Not-at-work SAK.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Highly modified Huntsman, with:
  • a sheepsfoot small blade
  • either:
    • evo grips from the wenger evo series, or
    • alox scales
  • a file on the side of the saw
  • a nail nick in the saw
  • victorinox scissors swapped for wenger's springless, micro-serrated, self-sharpening design
  • plus scale with a sharpening rod in the pen hole
  • tweezers that actually work
  • telescopic strong magnet under saw layer (atm it's an unused area! the horror!)
  • multiple needles/pins next to corkscrew

that'd do me nicely :D

EDIT:
by 'tweezers that actually work' i mean one capable of pulling hairs out; the current ones just won't pull it.

and why non-locking? because locking blades are not legal for EDC in the UK :(

and why non-locking? because locking blades are not legal for EDC in the UK :(

i'm from NJ and i have enough locking knives. it just isn't that important to me. I'd really appreciate my OHT without a lock. i also prefer the UK Pen Knife over the Caly.

Nice...who did the work?

Bill Evans AKA 'Scibeer' over on the SOSAK forum. I sent him a Mountaineer, Waiter, Cybertool, Explorer and Serrated Spartan to tear down and harvest parts out of. It ended up with serrated large blade, combo tool, metal file/saw, pliers, cybertool bit holder, magnifying glass, fold out the end phillips, corkscrew, precision screwdriver and stick pin. I wanted something that gave me the maximum density of tools that I would actually use at work (server room/desktop PC/AV equipment mostly) with as little extra as possible. I have also found a source of 4mm bits for the driver in different sizes and styles, so I am debating how I want to rig a little carrier for them. I am debating putting a set of StayGlow scales on it.

Bill is currently transplanting the scissors, long small phillips and corkscrew out of a Victo Outrider into a Bundeswehr OHT Trekker for me right now. I probably should have had him take the saw out of that one, but ah well, it might come in handy one day. I love the B-OHT, but missed the scissors and corkscrew several evenings when I was only carrying it ( and yes, I do actually use the corkscrew to open bottles of wine :D).

Danny

i'm from NJ and i have enough locking knives. it just isn't that important to me. I'd really appreciate my OHT without a lock. i also prefer the UK Pen Knife over the Caly.

There has been some discussion over on SOSAK about making/modding a non-locking OHT for the UK brethren, and I seem to recall that there was concern that the physics wouldn't work out quite right. The backsprings on the non-locking models are supposed to be stronger than on the OHT/locking models, and the pivot pin sizes are also different, and the concern was that you would end up with a knife that was either very hard to open because of the reduced leverage from the location of the thumbhole, or far too easy to close, depending on which combination of parts you used. Track down Bill/Scibeer that did my customs SAKs and ask him what he thinks about the mod.

I would like a my ideal survival/bug about knife locksmith with a 1 hand opening blade and scissors. So you would get

-blade (useful)
-wood saw (countryside survival)
-metal saw (urban)
-can/bottle opener (opening cans, screwing, pry-bar)
-scissor (1st aid use and around NKPs)

Back