SAK Mods! Post your pics, questions and ideas

Here are 2 91mm G Sekai Trekkers with ZDP-189 main blades. The knife on the right has had the wooden scales replaced with Titanium scales. The scale tools include a pen, a pair of tweezers, and a toothpick. Back tools are Phillips and awl. Front tools are large and small blade, cap lifter, and can opener.image.jpeg

I just finished my first SAK mod, making a blade less multi tool. I’m very pleased with the outcome, this could get addictive!

51165947118_a18aa8e962_k.jpg

I've never done a sak mod.
At least nothing serious.
A few new scales. Replaced some toothpicks because they were saks bought second hand.lol.
But I'd really like to take a swing at it. The only couple of mods I really want to do are pretty simple I think.
I have an old Champion model I'd like to take the fish tools off of. I have a couple alox Farmers that I would just love to remove the opener layers from. I believe swiss bianco calls this a Bushcrafter. I have no idea why they're so expensive, but I want one, just at a fair/reasonable price.
I'd really like to try my first sak mod, but I don't know where to start. I guess I just can't afford to mess up my tools so I was always too cautious to try. But with a little help/guidance from some of you experienced modders, I might just give it a try. What y'all think?

Well, my very fiirst SAK repair was fixing the long nail file on an old Champion. I bought a lot of used SAKs before I tore another one down. Looking back on it, it's probably a minor miracle that I got that first one back together, much less usable. But having a bunch of donor knives bought cheap off eBay made me a lot braver about taking them apart. It really helps to have a workbench, and a drill press is almost a must. Pins can be drilled out by hand, but a press ruins fewer grommets on the Cellidor models and is less likely to chew up Alox scales.

Well, my very fiirst SAK repair was fixing the long nail file on an old Champion. I bought a lot of used SAKs before I tore another one down. Looking back on it, it's probably a minor miracle that I got that first one back together, much less usable. But having a bunch of donor knives bought cheap off eBay made me a lot braver about taking them apart. It really helps to have a workbench, and a drill press is almost a must. Pins can be drilled out by hand, but a press ruins fewer grommets on the Cellidor models and is less likely to chew up Alox scales.
Very good advice here! Definitely buy some cheap SAKs to practice on. Drill press, small ball pein hammer and pin punches are necessary. If you have to drill tools out you’ll want cutting fluid and straight flute 140 degree point solid carbide bits work best. Also if you pein back together rule of thumb is 1mm of pin stock above your brass grommets on Cellidor models or 1mm above the scale on Alox.

Last edited:
20210529-SAK.jpg

20210529-SAK2.jpg

Bit of a design flaw on the evolution
The lever for the blade lock covers the nail groove for the scissor

Tied some paracord gut around the scissor and spring (from open position) with a hangman's noose and tied some slack together
set hangman's knot with superglue

Now can pull the cord to open scissor easier

Last edited:
Let this be a thread for anyone to show off a Mod they built or had built, ask a question about modding, or share modding ideas and dreams! Hopefully mods fall into their own category of multi tool/multi purpose knives so this can stay here and not be moved to tinkering.

here’s a few to get the ball rolling!

DnBUkqW.jpg

Ys05qJm.jpg

nD29mil.jpg

P1wzVT5.jpg
that copper farmer? is sweet. how'd ya do it?

Back