SAKs to consider buying?

I've been bitten by the SAK bug and I'm interested in buying some more SAKs. I already own the Classic SD and Cadet, and I have a SwissLite and Camper in the mail. What are sone other models to look at buying?

That depends on whether you want to collect or want to use. If you want to collect, then look at all of them. If you want to use, then consider which tools would be most useful to you.

I have just gone through the first two weeks of the SAK bug and in looking almost non-stop for 5 days for the ultimate Alox SAK here is what I would consider:

Single layer Alox: if you can find it an Alox Bantam. Several uses out of this with only a blade and flathead/bottle opener/can opener, wire stripper. I also liked the looks of the Apprentice.

Two layer Alox: Electrician/Pioneer/rancher - basically the same SAK with the can opener/small flathead swapped out for either an electrician blade or pruner blade. This setup has everything you need for EDC.

Two layer SAK outdoors Alox: I've been eying the Bushcrafter since it's all about the woods. Blade with Saw and Awl in a slim two layer package.

Three layer Alox: Farmer / Harvester - almost identical with the exception of the can opener being replaced with a pruner blade. Excellent for EDC, woods use, and everything else.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. The possibilities are endless.

Thanks for the recommendations, I've looked around and really like the Rambler, Compact, and Spartan.

If I could make a suggestion, personally, I like the manager better than the rambler. When you need a pen, it's there.
Sentimentally, I like the ranger model (my first edc in 1980s) and my father always carried an executive, so I carry one now too (in a rotation with other hospital/sheeple friendly knives).

You may consider having a custom made up by those gurus from the Czech Republic; perhaps an alox Champ....

- Victorinox Manager and Rambler in the 58mm class

- Victorinox Compact: high marks for its utility to weight ratio; 91mm and 2 layers.

- Victorinox Explorer Plus: the ultimate EDC SAK (IMO), if you can handle 4 layers.

20140301_140005_zps9fe2cce4.jpg

Explorer Plus, with exclusive Powernoodle Blue scales.

You need the One Hand Trekker.
I'm on my 4th one, I use it everyday at work and keep one in each car bag.

I'm in the alox camp...everyone needs a 93mm alox Ekectrician and an alox Solo, and an alox Settler or Apprentice, and an...on and on....lol.

Alox pox!

I would suggest in this order.

- Tinker Small In my opinion the best all around SAK for the size 84MM. Really any 84mm model is awesome. http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Tinker+84mm

- Pioneer the 2nd best model add a Nite Ize clip and its perfect EDC. http://www.niteize.com/product/HipClip.asp

- The Yeoman / Explorer which ever one you can find. http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Explorer

- Field master (I don't have this one yet but its on top of my to get list) It will probably give the Explorer some very stiff competition for 3rd place.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Fieldmaster

- 5th I would say that Bantam its cheap, Light, and has the tools you would use most of all in a very condensed form.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Bantam

I strongly suggest looking on EBAY for used tools. I have scored some really good deals with multitools on their. You just need to know the prices and what is truly a good deal and what to stop biding at. Bought a SOG PARAtool for 15.00 plus 6.00 shipping the other day used in new condition with sheath. Also scored a Leatherman Rebar new with leather sheath with out original packaging for $25.00 shipped.

Spartan or a Tinker are hard to beat. Pioneer and Farmer are very popular as well. Heck, even the Bantam is a pretty great knife and I've used one many times.

I would suggest in this order.

- Field master (I don't have this one yet but its on top of my to get list) It will probably give the Explorer some very stiff competition for 3rd place.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Fieldmaster
I gave my eldest a Field Master as his first knife a couple of years ago on a camping trip. He loves it and I love that it doesn't have a corkscrew. It got a lot of use that trip, and every trip since. He loves the saw and scissors especially.

I gave my eldest a Field Master as his first knife a couple of years ago on a camping trip. He loves it and I love that it doesn't have a corkscrew. It got a lot of use that trip, and every trip since. He loves the saw and scissors especially.

Yea I find that particular tool set on the Field Master the absolute best for the type of camping and hunting I do. That is the reason I am wanting to get one. But what ends up happening is when I do get to go camping which is about 1-2 times a year I have the hardest time picking which knife and multitool to take with me. Its like picking which of your kids you love the most. LOL

I'd suggest a Swisschamp, since it is one of the longest selling classic of Victorinox and a really useful in-bag tool to complement your EDC knife/MT. And from that you could kinda 'sample' different tools and see what you'd like to get next.

My 5 I honestly feel are best in category:

58 mm: Rambler

All but unnoticeable difference in thickness and weight over the Classic provides a great magnetized ph driver and an actually useable cap lifter. No offense intended to those who think otherwise, but the Classic sux. Blade opens on the key ring end, which is irritating.

91 mm: Tinker

Almost perfect for pocket carry and incredibly versatile. This is the Victorinox true classic.

91 mm: Super Tinker

If you really, truly, deeply need scissors, like my wife, this is the necessary model. I find it a touch thick for pocket carry, although I feel wimpy carrying it in a belt sheath. But, if I am going to do sheath, then it might as well be filled with

91 mm: Swisschamp

Whatever this can't do doesn't need done ;) . In close to 20 years, I have used every implement except for the back mounted small screwdriver. The size and weight mean little when belt carried.

111mm: OH Trekker

Much as I respect the alox Vics, the Swiss army did right by replacing the previous Soldier knife with their version of this. The New Soldier is essentially a Trekker without toothpick or tweezer. I find it a bit much for urban EDC, but just about perfect for outdoor chores or recreations.

Other people might weigh in with differing opinions, but mine are correct :p:D .

My favs: Vic Alox Farmer, Vic Huntsman or Climber, a 111 mm Vic Forester, and ABOVE ALL the discontinued (but still available) Vic Safari/Trooper which has wonderfully robust tools (larger spearpoint, the longest awl, the longest corkscrew - great for unknotting knots - and a thick/aggressive saw blade with a screwdriver/can and bottle opener tip - all the right tools and nothing more, plus textured nylon scales with a lanyard/neck string hole THROUGH the handle!

Back