SAKs to consider buying?

I think you have a great Urban EDC.
I would add something a little more rugged for non urban acitivities. Fieldmaster, Farmer or maybe Trekker depending on what kind of acitivities you do.

Pioneer or Farmer is on my list. Which would you recommend?

Both is always a good answer, but if you have to decide just think about how often you would use a saw. For me...not very often at all, as in almost never. So I carry a Pioneer. Picked one up a couple weeks ago and have been incredibly happy with it. I used to carry custom tacticals and then later on custom slip joints. Last two weeks I've been happy carrying my Pioneer, it's just so useful.

I do have a Farmer on the way, that orange was just too cool to pass up! I doubt I'll carry it much but it will be nice to have one to join my trio of Pioneers.

There's a better deal that will save you $10.00 over the above mentioned shop...$%*&#@*&%#.com; PM me for details.;)

I also vote for the Pioneer. My first Victorinox was a Cadet. I loved what a thin and ultralight knife it was. Next, I bought a Farmer. I was surprised how much more robust the 93mm line was. You are probably already aware of this, but the 93mm line uses thicker tools and blade stock than the other models. I loved how solid the Farmer was, but it was just a little too thick for my tastes. I also came to realize that I didn't really use a saw much.

Next, I bought a Pioneer, and it was perfect for me. Thin, yet built like a tank.

Another cool thing about the Pioneer is that it is essentially the same knife the Swiss Army issued to its soldiers for nearly 50 years. The Pioneer was introduced in the late 50's. When the Swiss Military was looking to redesign their Soldier knife, they adopted the Pioneer design. The 1961 Alox Soldier was a Pioneer without a keyring and a couple of small cosmetic differences. The Soldier kept this design until 2008. This kind of gives the Pioneer a neat place in knife history in my opinion.

The 93mm size is quite useful. My first SAK was a Tinker which I still think is a great knife. The Pioneer is similar. I never had much real use for the saw on the Farmer, so I never picked one up. I carry the 111mm SAKs now and in particular the Adventurer. I like the side lock and find it quite handy, immensely practical, and functional. The Adventurer is essentially a larger Tinker.

Basically I avoid buying ones that have the cork screw. I have quite a few different models. The two layer size is the one I find the most useful versus weight. But I do have three and four layer SAKs.

I think the Midnite Minichamp, Compact, Ranger, Pioneer, and Outrider are the best of the SAKs. If I could have only one knife for the rest of my life, it would be the Outrider.

I think the Midnite Minichamp, Compact, Ranger, Pioneer, and Outrider are the best of the SAKs. If I could have only one knife for the rest of my life, it would be the Outrider.

But that's the SAK that fits you now. You have no idea what the future might bring, which might very well include life changes that one of the others would better serve. That's why whole notion of "one SAK for the rest of your life" is absurd. This is one area in life where collecting a bunch of gear is actually the right thing to do. I believe we should all collect SAKs and feel good about it. :D

But that's the SAK that fits you now. You have no idea what the future might bring, which might very well include life changes that one of the others would better serve. That's why whole notion of "one SAK for the rest of your life" is absurd. This is one area in life where collecting a bunch of gear is actually the right thing to do. I believe we should all collect SAKs and feel good about it. :D

Exactly! I am an example of this very notion. Growing up in scouts I always had some red handled SAK, a camilus, and or a Leatherman MT. I recall seeing Alox handled SAK's back when they were plentiful (probably the soldier model that's now discontinued) but at that point in time I couldn't imagine giving up my toothpick and tweezers :D

Now I wish I had picked up one or two of those Alox models as that is my new found knife bug.

I have four or five various SAK's. I bought a ''Soldier'' today and I believe that it fits my use parameters quite well.

Back