SAKs to consider buying?

And a ladder to stand on!

I honestly don't know how much alox I have. I fell off as of late, but accumulated a good amount over the years. I have a rough estimate as to the number, but a head count would be nice. If I see a model I know if I have it or not though. :thumbup:

I await the glorious day when a layout crew and cherry picker can facilitate some photos!!! :thumbup: :D

at the end of the day you cant go wrong with any sak they are all extremely practical its just a case of what suits your needs and what size are you comfortable with. personally if i had to recommend one it would be the climber/super tinker whether you want a corkscrew or phillips. if you want to go even thinner if heard you can get a modded farmer with scissors if you look far enough.

I'm very fond of my Huntsman. I think it covers a lot of ground without being too excessive. The Fieldmaster's probably a slightly better choice with it's larger Phillips driver, unless a corkscrew is a must.

The Tinker I just got today will probably take over as my EDC, though. I was fairly surprised how much difference in weight and comfort there is being just a bit slimmer. Especially using the small blade; the Huntsman is a bit awkward with having to rest your thumb somewhere among the corkscrew, key ring, and the curve of the carrying hook.

Thanks for pointing out reverse keyring of the overlooked Rambler! I thought having to clutch my keys when using the Classic's blade was just one of those necessary evils...

Well, if you've been hankering for an Orange Farmer at less than $40.00 US, say sayonara bye bye for the long term, since they're all sold out at one of my favorite cutlery stores; of course, you could spend 3 times as much by going north, or way east.;)

You should look at the Victorinox Ranger - very tool dense for its size and sometimes you need to grind off a little wood/plastic/metal and having a file handy is really good. :thumbup:
Also: Farmer, OHT, Rambler/Manager, Explorer Plus and Cybertool 34.

A lot does depend on what activities you do.
The Cybertool 34 is an incredibly useful urban tool, great with computers and electronic gadgets.
The Ranger has a really good range of tools for camping and for every day life for that matter.
The Rambler or Manager should be on your keyring, I have 2 keyrings and on one is a Manager and on the other is a Rambler. I can't recommend these enough!
The Farmer is just pure class! The blade is a bit thicker and stronger and the awl is better than most.
The Explorer is great if you need a magnifying glass which works amazingly well for something so small.
The OHT has a locking pry tool (which can also be used as a screwdriver and even as a bottle opener I suppose) and a locking blade of a respectable size, it also has a better sized saw than the smaller SAKs have and would be another good camping SAK to carry. I hate serrated blades so I have the NS (non-serrated) version of the OHT.

You definitely need to at least consider these SAKs as well as others, Victorinox make great tools at a very fair price.

You should look at the Victorinox Ranger - very tool dense for its size and sometimes you need to grind off a little wood/plastic/metal and having a file handy is really good. :thumbup:
Also: Farmer, OHT, Rambler/Manager, Explorer Plus and Cybertool 34.

A lot does depend on what activities you do.
The Cybertool 34 is an incredibly useful urban tool, great with computers and electronic gadgets.
The Ranger has a really good range of tools for camping and for every day life for that matter.
The Rambler or Manager should be on your keyring, I have 2 keyrings and on one is a Manager and on the other is a Rambler. I can't recommend these enough!
The Farmer is just pure class! The blade is a bit thicker and stronger and the awl is better than most.
The Explorer is great if you need a magnifying glass which works amazingly well for something so small.
The OHT has a locking pry tool (which can also be used as a screwdriver and even as a bottle opener I suppose) and a locking blade of a respectable size, it also has a better sized saw than the smaller SAKs have and would be another good camping SAK to carry. I hate serrated blades so I have the NS (non-serrated) version of the OHT.

You definitely need to at least consider these SAKs as well as others, Victorinox make great tools at a very fair price.

Good review and I would only add one of my favs, the Mountaineer! :thumbup:

...and last, but not least, the only model that if not in a collection, makes that collection woefully incomplete...I give you the Passenger.....

Real glass in that magnifier mind you....

I carried a Victorinox Spartan for many years in the '80s and '90s, and recently bought a new one, to which I've added a mini-eyeglass screwdriver. I find that along with my Executive, they make a good EDC. For some time, I started to like the Tinker more than the Spartan, but found over the years that I have little use for the Phillips screwdriver on the back. I use the Spartan's corkscrew for carrying the mini-driver and occasionally undoing tight knots.

I also love Alox models, but find for normal EDC, the Executive and Spartan have more versatility for me.

Jim

...and last, but not least, the only model that if not in a collection, makes that collection woefully incomplete...I give you the Passenger.....

Real glass in that magnifier mind you....

I must concur! :thumbup: :D

Unknown_zps54910b34.jpg

Thanks Al but mine lacks that wonderful history yours has!

That may be so, and though I was raised in New York City, and spent many many summers on my Grandfather's dairy farm upstate NY, you have something that I want, a farm. BTW, I found this great site in Spain, and like the lunatic that I am, I just had to order a SAK Pioneer Ranger....

Shipping wasn't bad either...$15.00.

That was a good deal and a cool model the OP should consider looking for!!!!! :thumbup:

thats pretty spiffy!
but i think i am pretty weird. i'd rather keep the can opener and give up the bottle cap lifter
*ponders*

Back