• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Samples from Burl Source - Post photos here of knives made

The free samples have been mailed out. Now, as knives are finished, photos can be posted here.

Open to sign up for samples until midnight PST 8/25
Each person gets 1 sample block of African Bubinga and 1 sample block of Australian Lacewood.

Here are the blocks I will be giving away. The two on top are just to give a better idea how they will look sanded.

sample.jpg

I am giving these blocks away for free but you have to pay for your own postage. I will be sending these priority mail so US postage is $5, Canada $10 and Worldwide $12. You will need to pay using paypal. That way it transfers over your shipping address when I print the postage. I need to keep this simple.

Other than paying for your own shipping, there is one condition.
You need to use at least one of these pieces for a knife handle within the next month. When you are finished, post a photo here or email a photo to me.

I figured once you tried this wood you would see how nice it is and want more. This is not junk wood. These are nice blocks that would normally sell for $15 and up.

Just post "I'd like to try the bubinga and lacewood". The blocks will go to the people who make a post here and follow up with a paypal payment for the shipping. Please list your BF user name in the notes section of your paypal payment so I will know who you are. Address for Paypal is itsaburl@hotmail.com

List of who has paid for shipping.
1. Emphasiski - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27
2. Chapman Preferred - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27 Wood Arrived - Knife photo posted
3. tjoesim - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27
4. Teacher - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27 Wood Arrived
5. G Shahan - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27 Knife Photo Posted
6. RJSmith - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27 Re-Mailed
7. 39hotrod - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27
8. Murdock72605 - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27
9. Vege Taco - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27
10. Payette Rucker
11. Sun Shadow - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27
12. Zaph1 - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27 Wood Arrived
13. ib2v4u aka Steel Slaver - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27
14. Winter Bear - Paypal received
15. BennyB - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27
16. Mr Bad Example - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/30 Wood Arrived
17. Mark Knapp - Mailed Priority Mail 8/30 Wood Arrived
18. AMCardon - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27 Wood Arrived
19. Silver Pilate Mailed Priority Mail 8/30
20. Fletch Helical - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/31
21. The Dave - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/30
22. Kenon Rain - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/30
23. LX Emergency - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27 Wood Arrived
24. Edgemaster - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/30
25. RWN2000 - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/30 Wood Arrived - Knife photo posted
26. Wloch248 - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27 Wood Arrived
27. Biggta5 - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27 Wood Arrived - Knife Photo Posted
28. Silversage - Paypal received Mailed Priority Mail 8/27

Last edited:
:DWhat, free wood....you are making the rest of us dealers look bad:D:D

I'm new to bubinga and lacewood - will either of these benefit from being stabilized?

Good for you for giving back. Personally, I don't see a problem with what you've done, but hey, guess it's good I'm not a moderator.

Don't know...guess I'm just in a pissy mood tonight. God bless, Mark.

--nathan

If you're having people lacking in coming up with a PP payment in a reasonable time and you boot them off the list I'd like to be on the "alternate" list. :D PayPal account is ready and waiting :D

Alternate please? I was all ready and set (especially when I saw that there weren't even 18 posts here yet)

and then I noticed there was already a list.

So I'd like to give it a try if it's possible.

"I'd like to try the bubinga and lacewood"

Regards
Alexander

Question--would it be possilble to get these stabilized (for an extra cost, of course)? My plan for at least one of these blocks is for a knife for a friend (a Registered Maine Guide) and it is likely to see some hard use. Thanks Mark!

Michael

Question--would it be possilble to get these stabilized (for an extra cost, of course)? My plan for at least one of these blocks is for a knife for a friend (a Registered Maine Guide) and it is likely to see some hard use. Thanks Mark!

Michael

That's exactly what I was wondering...

Thanks Mark!

payment sent, if i overlapped the list, we can use the shipping for another order.

i guess most people just paypaled, and didnt respond in this thread like you asked.

"Just post "I'd like to try the bubinga and lacewood". The blocks will go to the first 18 people who make a post here and follow up with a paypal payment for the shipping."

either way, THANKS!

Last edited:
Edgemaster, this thread was previously in the Shop Talk forum with many replies and was closed and moved to the for sale area. I guess the previous posts didn't make it over in the move.

--nathan

I had incorrectly posted this thread in shop talk instead of the for sale forum. To make up for the confusion this caused I will keep this open for more people to get sample pieces until midnight tonight PST 8/25. I will just cut some more blocks.

For hard use knives I would recommend the bubinga. It is very hard heavy and durable wood with interlocking grain. The lacewood would be a good one to experiment on using leather dye. If you use a black leather dye the background turns a darker black with the flecks a shimmering black a shade or two lighter.

thanks burly one.
let me rummage through your sale ads, i think i will add to the box.
gimme a second

Back