• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Samples from Burl Source - Post photos here of knives made

cool :D sending paypal then :):)
I plan on ordering from you as well a little ways down the road.. need some special stuff :)

I'd like to try the bubinga and lacewood

Last edited:
I'd like to try the bubinga and lacewood

I'd like to get in on this if it's not too late.

randy

Seems I remember someone giving away a $100+ piece of ivory because it was #13.:)

OH yeah, I guess we are both pretty cool then, it must be the name. Yeah that's it Mark's are the coolest.:D:D

paypal will be sent momentarily

Update: paypal sent yesterday

Last edited:
Mark PP sent. What's the story with this wood? Does it need to be stabilized or can something like a Tung oil finish suffice for it?

What Mark told me about stabilization:

Burl Source said:
The bubinga is extra hard and does not need to be stabilized. The lacewood is medium hardness. A good one to experiment w/ leather dye.

Today I had to get some flat rate packaging materials and a few addresses for the sample blocks. These blocks should be going out in the mail tomorrow. They are being sent priority mail so they should be arriving pretty soon.

Just a couple comments about the woods;

The Bubinga is a hard and heavy wood with interlocking grain. Very durable stuff. It is a little harder sanding than many woods but not as difficult as rosewoods or cocobolo. The appearance of the wood really transforms when you go beyond 220 grit. The wood gets a flashy shimmer similar to what you see in Koa that moves around. If you take your time and do a thorough sanding and finishing you will be amazed with this wood.

The Lacewood is a medium hard wood. Very easy sanding and shaping. It is a lot like sycamore except it has a darker background with lighter flecks. Just the opposite of sycamore. When you apply an aniline or leather dye it will dye the background a shade or two darker with lighter flecks having a bit of shimmer to them. Subtle but very cool looking. Easy to work and fun to experiment with.

These are both woods that I had considered over the years but never tried them until recently. The more I work with them, the more I like them.
Now we will get to see what you think of them.

Once you finish a knife and are ready to post a photo you can post it in this thread or email it to me at itsaburl@hotmail.com and I will post it for you.

Last edited:
Well, just my luck that I am out of town when this is going on...if you have anything left over, I will be happy to paypal you for postage and time to try some out! Many thanks!

I sent out a lot of the samples today. I need to cut the rest and they will ship out Monday. I hope you guys have fun with this wood. Don't forget to post photos.
Thanks, Mark

Got mine today. That Bubinga is some HARD heavy stuff! Thanks again for the wood.

Got mine yesterday, they look great! I shipped off an order today for stabilization and then went to check out my bubinga... Realized I added it to the order. So hopefully I'll still be able to get a knife done in the month's time you asked for, it's all dependent on how long it takes to get the wood back now!

Thanks again, Mark! The wood looks great, I particularly like that bubinga, awesome figure!

Mine got here a couple of days ago Mark.

Thank you, good looking wood my friend. :thumbup: :)

I looked at the tracking number you sent me and it looks like it got sent to the wrong address. Oh well, thanks anyway. Maybe some other time.

I looked at the tracking number you sent me and it looks like it got sent to the wrong address. Oh well, thanks anyway. Maybe some other time.

It came back today as undeliverable address. If you want to send a PM with your correct address I will put it back in the mail.

It seems a number of people still have their old addresses on their paypal accounts. Even when you change it, paypal sometimes still reverts to the old address. If you double check when sending a payment you can prevent unpleasant surprises.

Back