• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Samples from Burl Source - Post photos here of knives made

Min arrived. Thanks a bunch. I'm already working on the blade tha this will be used for. It's in the hand-sanding phase so it shouldn't take too long before it's ready.

Just got mine--that Bubinga is great--nice and dense and looks great. Now I've gotta get to work and finish another knife.

I Got mine, they look great. Thanks a lot Mark

Well, I received my blocks a week or so ago and decided that since they were not stabalized I would try the first one out on a Spyderco Mule. I choose the darker of the two blocks and got to work. Here is the result of my efforts with this fine wood. I hope you enjoy them.

First on cardboard:
IMG_6271.jpg

IMG_6270a.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6276.jpg

IMG_6272.jpg

And two shots on a tarp:
IMG_6280.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

After reviewing the pics, it looks like my work area could use some more light and my technique some more practice. Well, thanks for the chance anyway. I will hope to order from you some stabalized wood in the future.

Last edited:
IMGP0780.jpg

here's mine. I think the bubinga turned out very nice, hand sanded to 600 grit and rubbed with BLO several times.

IMGP0780.jpg

here's mine. I think the bubinga turned out very nice, hand sanded to 600 grit and rubbed with BLO several times.

Great job! It looks like you achieved a much deeper color than I did. I only sanded to 500 and then I lightly buffed the handle on a loose buffing wheel. I need to get some BLO I guess!

I would not just sand and buff. After sanding try using a finish like Tung Oil or other finish. That will make the colors more vivid and the figure more 3 dimensional.

awesome mosaic bullet pin!

a .30.30 case on each side and the black tubes are from a carbon arrow shaft. Do you see a theme here? :D

chapmanPreferred, yours will get darker and come alive with some oil, tung oil, Tru-oil, BLO, etc.

I would thin the first coat or 2 of BLO about 30-50% with good quality paint thinner. I would sand to at least 320 grit before applying the BLO, you are at 500 grit so you should be good to apply the BLO, just freshen up the surface with a pass of the same grit to remove any surface dirt that might have gotten on the handles. You can "sand in" the BLO by applying it with steel wool or wet or dry sandpaper, finer grit with each coat. This will help to fill pores.

The old time rule for BLO finishes was "coat a day for a week, coat a week for a month, coat a month for a year" I am usually using BLO on furniture so 3-4 coats is enough under a top coat like polyurethane, but a BLO only finish could go 6-8 coats depending on the wood and brand of BLO

I note that you buffed your handle, if you used compound you should remove any remnants from the handle with paint or lacquer thinner, or more sanding. The waxes in the compound could interfere with proper drying of the BLO, or make the finish look "muddy"

Last edited:
Finally got mine back from getting stabilized. I have the lacewood clamped up with a brass liner and an elk antler bolster for my 2nd attempt at a hidden tang (first attempt was my first knife ever - ya know, the one nobody will ever see!). No school for 2 weeks and all I plan on doing is making knives and hunting!

Thanks again, Mark, this is some great looking wood (by the way, the bubinga increased more than I expected in weight after stablizing - almost 20%!) and I will post pics once she's done unless it's going in the drawer with my first hidden tang ;)

Here you go Mark,

One of my simple hunters. I wish I could show you how flashy this stuff is,
I just cant get it in a picture. Really pretty, hard, and heavy.
Thanks again Mark for the free wood!

Greg

knives 857.jpg

knives 862.jpg

Oh Yea, I made the month deadline

I have to apologise up front. I'm not going to make the deadline. I was planning on doing it today or tomorrow, but then yesterday I busted my shoulder during a Judo training. Maybe it'll be well enough to do some work by the end of next week. I'll get it done ASAP anyway.

Thanks for the wood Mark. Only my 2nd knife to finish. Sanded to 1000 grit then put some Liquid Gold on handle.

Attachments

• knife 035.jpg
    knife 035.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 56
  • knife 038.jpg
    knife 038.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 70
  • knife 041.jpg
    knife 041.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 64
  • knife 043.jpg
    knife 043.jpg