• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Samples from Burl Source - Post photos here of knives made

Been working with the lacewood I got stabilized. Mark - next time I ask for you to send me a block of wood please remind me that I'm a moron to try another hidden tang and that I need scales... Hidden tang is way out of my league! I glued up the handle with an antler bolster and butt with brass spacers and I think it will look good even though my clamp somehow released while it was gluing up so it gapped a bit which really pissed me off. Oh well, pics when she's finished.

So here it is! My first cable pattern welded blade (any pattern welding really) wrought iron gaurd , copper spacer and the awesome Bubinga wood, gaurd and blade cold blued. Very happy overall this is my 3rd or 4th knife from scratch, there are a few pits in the blade and my plunge lines are so so on close inspection but I learned alot trying to make my best piece to date to go with the great wood.
9" overall
5" blade
chris

Attachments

• 9-16-10 009.jpg
    9-16-10 009.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 9-16-10 002.jpg
    9-16-10 002.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 9-16-10 007.jpg
    9-16-10 007.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 70
  • 9-16-10 008.jpg
    9-16-10 008.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 51
Got some redwood burl a while back and this is the result.
Santoku with almost 8" blade in 440C
DSC04930.jpg

DSC04933.jpg

Thoughts? Dan

PS- Awesome burl with very few pits/voids if any at all. Loved working with it.

I'm running a little late on mine too. Got a 2 week long bug right when I got them, then school started. I should be gluing on the handles this week though.

All the knives I see ahead of mine are great, here's what I did with my samples. You may have seen it in my mosaic handle WIP, here it is again per our agreement with Mark:D:D. It is 12 inches long overall with a blade 6 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 inchs wide. The woods in the handle are the lacewood and bubinga that Mark sent out. The fittings are mokume. The sheath has sea snake skin, barrimundi skin and African porcupine quils. Hope you like it, thanks for looking and thanks Mark for the wood, and all the wood I've gotten from you.

finishdagger007.jpg

finishdagger010.jpg

finishdagger002.jpg

I guess it's my turn to sing Karaoke after Roy Orbison gets done singing!
Sorry I didn't post sooner. I'm taking a break from BF and the negativity of certain individuals. This was the block of lacewood with a CA finish. This was done a month ago for the Ashokan 2010 Challenge.

finish_dagger.jpg

finish_handle.jpg

finish_tip.jpg

I guess it's my turn to sing Karaoke after Roy Orbison gets done singing!
Sorry I didn't post sooner. I'm taking a break from BF and the negativity of certain individuals. This was the block of lacewood with a CA finish. This was done a month ago for the Ashokan 2010 Challenge.

finish_dagger.jpg

finish_handle.jpg

finish_tip.jpg

I really like the texture on the blade, is that mustard? Great job

Finally....mine is finished, sorry for the dark pictures. I'll be taking some new ones tomorrow morning.

I love the looks of the Bubinga.....hate how hard it is though. It's like anything I did to it would make it burn instead of sand.....

Lovely stuff. Thank you so very much for letting me try it. Once I do something with the Lacewood I'll send pictures of that as well.

Bubinga is one of the really hard woods that requires you to use fresh belts for the rough sanding and hand sanding for the finer grits. It is a heck of a lot easier to work than cocobolo and any of the rosewoods.

The morning came and with it better light to take pictures. It's a gloomy day over here so they're still not great but at least now you can see what you're looking at:

1014885.jpg

1014884.jpg

1014882.jpg

My son in the backround who is VERY interested in sharp objects.
1014881.jpg

1014880.jpg

1014879.jpg

Mark,

Obviously I did not meet the time requirement for this offer, and for that I apologize. Nevertheless, I hope you like what I was able to do with the fantastic Bubinga you sent me. I finished this one up about an hour ago, and these pictures were taken before I put an edge on it. 1080 steel, Bubinga scales, all that good stuff.

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

Thanks again for your generosity.

Dave

Back