Schrade FAQ: Is the answer to your question here? Steel, dates, models.

Hi, I have a 3blade pocket knife, it came from my grandmother's house but there is no one left to give me any info on where it came from. The knife is 3.25" closed, there are three blades, one marked Schrade NY USA 855 stainless, the other two blades are stamped stainless, there is a metal oval on one side of brown bone like handle marked stainless. Can someone shed some light? Thanks Brad

Beautiful handle, the rest kinda sucks, 4" closed, 7 1/4" open, lock and button works, spring is broke, looks like someone took a grinder to the blade. Tip of blade moves about 1/4"
Anyone have an idea what it may be worth? Blade marks: SCHRADE CUT CO WALDEN N Y and U.S. PATS DEC 21 09, SEPT 13 10, JUNE 6 16

Hi just registered with Blade Forums and was wondering if someone could clarify about a 1080T with Made in the USA Package printed in China ? I found 4 of them in a little outback store in far Northern Australia the other day could not help myself and bought all 4 of them.I was informed 6 months ago the ones with made in USA didnt exist apart from on ebay or private sale .Did I waste my time or are they the good ones ????

Robertsm57,
Welcome to the forum. Almost missed your post.
The only way to look at the knife is to look at the knife.
check the main blade. if it was made in the usa it will be stamped on the blade. The little 108OT was made from the beginning. There should be many, many out there.
Here is a picture of mine on the web page.
108OT.jpg

What part of OZ do you hail from. We have a few of your mates on the board.

TTYL
Larry

Hi There, My dad has recently given me his knife collection to sell for him. Needless to say, I am not an expert. I have this one Schrade knife with I-XL on it and the serial number being M2393, but I cannot seem to find any info on this. Can anyone help.

Hi,PH2 is my favourite one...When came the first model? How many different
handles were made before the factory closed. I'm looking for more...Johan.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/IXL/index.htm
jfarris here is some basic pics from the collectors of shcrades r us area as far as selling them goes there really isint a much better place to sell them than ebay, cause rather than a traditional auction an ebay auction gives the opportunity to people all over the country and or world to look and bid and probablly get top dollar.- Just my opniion- good luck
Joel

Hi, this is my first post,i have a pretty large Schade collection,around 450 knives all pre 2004, i have been collecting since before they closed the doors, am trying to find out how many 75th anniversary gold inlay knives were made,i have reed that Herman Williams did the blade file work on all the knives,but i cant find any numbers,please help,thanks...the grey menace...

Welcome to the forum G M. I'm sure someone will be along that can answer that soon.
I know you have some nice knives, we have bid agianst each other on quite a few.
Welcome Rick

I don't know the answer Grey Menace, but Herman visited here and posted on the forum a few weeks ago. He just might answer.

Welcome to the forum. I know you from Ebay. You are indeed a menace. :D

Thawk (trail_hawk)

Welcome...I think we may have competed on about 450 knives as well! <Ecalyptus>.
Have you looked at Larry Vickery's excellent Schrade historical site Schrades R Us? You can at least direct us to the exact knife you're referring to as it is very likely depicted on Flyer or photo on that site.Lrv knows the numbers of most of the knives depicted as he has been a wealth of knowledge for me personally.
Herman is still with us and no doubt Lrv will be along shortly.
Please stay awhile Grey Snip...I mean Menace as I know you have some excellent examples mate. Hoo Roo.

It632ret,

I am new to this forum and have been trying to conduct research to evaluate a collection of Schrade Knives. In fact I worked at Schrade in my earlier years prior to entering on active duty with the Air Force and I have alot of family members who worked with Schrade for alot of years. I have recently gained access to one of the Schrade WWII Comm Sets you are referring to in this post and would be interested in talking with you about it. Please send me an email at: freedumb06@yahoo.com if you might be willing to spend some time on email or through the phone with me.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Last edited:
Hi there! New kid on the block here. I have an "Uncle Henry" "Schrade+" "USA" "168" filet knife which I bought new so long ago that I can't remember which decade it was let alone the year. The blade got snapped off (doing something not meant for a knife) quite a while ago but I reshaped it into a "modified" sheeps foot and use it for carving scales for my "homegrown" knives.
What caught my attention is the "168". There are no letters, no "UH". Do they make misprints while stamping knives:eek:

Welcome to the Schrade collector's Forum!

No, it isn't a misprint on the tangstamp. Several patterns over the years did not have the OT Old Timer or UH Uncle Henry identifiers added to the tangstamps. And you aren't the first collector to notice this oddity and think it was unique.

5bvgoi.jpg

It is just one of those things that makes collecing of Schrade knives interesting!

Michael

I just happened upon a schrade from a friend. It is of old school design and has the number w20284(?) in the brass. I'll have to double check that at work tomorrow, it's locked in my tool box.

I have always been a fan of well crafted knives and he informed me that this one was rather old. If he was telling the truth or not is another question but as I said it is of old design with full brass handle. Has some weight to it and is still nice and tight despite the fact that it does look weathered!

Was just curious if anyone could clue me in on the possible age of the knife and/or model. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The base of the blade has SCHRADE+(from what I have learned is for stainless) US LB7

I was born in Ellenville and raised in the area. My Grandfather and Father
both worked in the Ulster Knife/Schrade knife factories. My Grandfather
may well have been one of the originals who co-opted the original factory
back in 1874. Little is known of him as he died in 1904, however he did
immigrate here from Sheffield, England. My Father was only 2 years old when
he died so never really knew him, only that he worked at the factory. My
Father had to leave school during the fourth grade to go to work and help
support the family, as was quite common at the time. He too, went to work
at the Ulster/Schrade factory as a boy until the first world war when he
enlisted in the Navy. There is some history written which can be found by
Googling on "Ulster Knife Works" which will also bring up a photo or two of
the old knife factory should anyone be interested.

Just thought I'd offer something as I don't own any Schrade knives anymore,
although I've had many, many during my childhood in the area. Everybody
who worked there used to come home with several in their pockets to give
away to friends so they were quite proliferate.

Conchovtx, WOW! You've got some impressive family history. I'll bet you grandfather could have told some stories! If he was involved in the Co-Op, he was in an elite minority. Which plant did your dad work at? Was it the one on Canal Street? That area was chock full of knife factories at the time, with Napanoch and Grahamsville right next door, and Schrade, NYK, and Walden over the mountain. Sure wish I was around back then:thumbup:
Thanks for sharing, and don't be a stranger! I personally think the old stories are in some ways better than the knives.

Eric

Last edited:
Conchovtx, WOW! You've got some impressive family history. I'll bet you grandfather could have told some stories! If he was involved in the Co-Op, he was in an elite minority. Which plant did your dad work at? Was it the one on Canal Street? That area was chock full of knife factories at the time, with Napanoch and Grahamsville right next door, and Schrade, NYK, and Walden over the mountain. Sure wish I was around back then:thumbup:
Thanks for sharing, and don't be a stranger! I personally think the old stories are in some ways better than the knives.

Eric

As far as I know, Eric, the Ulster Knife Works was the only one in Ellenville
at the time. The Ulster Knife Works merged with Schrade Walden in 1904 to
the best of my knowledge. There was the Napanoch Knife Works and an Axe
factory in Napanoch, only a couple miles from Ellenville. I lived in Napanoch
and also in Kerhonkson as a child. I attended Elllenville High School as a
freshman in 1950 and then moved away to New Jersey. My father, in my
youth, worked in the Napanoch Paper Mills which employed many people in
the area. I notice you are in Wallkill. An uncle worked at the prison there as
a maintenance plumber and I spent some time there with them summers. The
Ellenville area is really rich in history, however now I understand it's deader
than a door nail....:grumpy:

Thanks for the welcome.

:thumbup: +1 ea42. Conchovtx welcome to the forum and please continue to add the stories to the factories and area where the best knives in the World have been made, JUST MY OPINION ;):p

Last edited:
Back