Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery
FWIW (not much ;)) folks are passionate, especially those who frequent this subforum. That’s why we’re here!

Some of the commentary has been lively, but for my part I haven’t sensed a pervasively argumentative tone from your posts or the vast majority of others. When it’s tended towards out of bounds, people have responded with civility. I’m not sure that would happen on other platforms.

<there was maybe one dude along the way who seemed like it was his intent to take the thread off the rails— but I digress>

For one, I’m fairly capable of distinguishing between passion and malfeasance. Then again, maybe I just have a thick skin.

I’ve enjoyed reading about everyone’s experiences and hope the discussion continues.

Most have the rock. All of them. Not just the 31s. Lets stop the nitpicking. Ive acquired 7 crks since i first posted. All have. Not a problem w performance. Its not just the 31. Im not getting it. All still badass

Well. when i pay 400+ for a knive that advertises with extremely high tolerances and almost perfect fit and finish, but has lockflex... for what exactly am i paying that much money? Titanium and s35v can be had for 100-200. That is not nitpicking, that is just wrong in so many ways as statet above with the quote from chris reeve himself

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery
FWIW (not much ;)) folks are passionate, especially those who frequent this subforum. That’s why we’re here!

Some of the commentary has been lively, but for my part I haven’t sensed a pervasively argumentative tone from your posts or the vast majority of others. When it’s tended towards out of bounds, people have responded with civility. I’m not sure that would happen on other platforms.

<there was maybe one dude along the way who seemed like it was his intent to take the thread off the rails— but I digress>

For one, I’m fairly capable of distinguishing between passion and malfeasance. Then again, maybe I just have a thick skin.

I’ve enjoyed reading about everyone’s experiences and hope the discussion continues.

Thank you. I wasnt trying to be argumentative in the thread. I do believe it is possible to treat all with respect, even those with differing opinions. :)

That being said, my 31 is still going strong...it’s just hard to get over the...well, you all know...

Ok, so... let’s have some fun. I’m going to really use and abuse my PJ 31 this summer. I will spend 10 days in wild mountains in July, sailing on lakes in August, and besides that I’m going to move for most of the summer to my country house... should be plenty of opportunities to use that 31. I’m curious how I’d hold up... so far after a weekend I’m fine with how it works. Is there some flex? Yes, but it requires serious pressure on the spine, and then it flexes a tiny fraction of milimeter and stays there for good. I treat it as ‚bumper’ effect, but that’s just me. So let’s check if it stays there after a month or two of summer use and abuse. Should be fun.

BTW, I remember similar concerns anout Umnumzaan... and now early Zaans with 4-holes pivots are hot & hard to get. So really, time will tell.

My large Inkosi had a certain "lock rock", but the lock bar would flex towards the show side of the handle making the lock more engaged. Of course my Sebbie 21's didn't do this, but from an engineering aspect, I had no problems with the Inkosi with its function.

Ok, so... let’s have some fun. I’m going to really use and abuse my PJ 31 this summer. I will spend 10 days in wild mountains in July, sailing on lakes in August, and besides that I’m going to move for most of the summer to my country house... should be plenty of opportunities to use that 31. I’m curious how I’d hold up... so far after a weekend I’m fine with how it works. Is there some flex? Yes, but it requires serious pressure on the spine, and then it flexes a tiny fraction of milimeter and stays there for good. I treat it as ‚bumper’ effect, but that’s just me. So let’s check if it stays there after a month or two of summer use and abuse. Should be fun.

BTW, I remember similar concerns anout Umnumzaan... and now early Zaans with 4-holes pivots are hot & hard to get. So really, time will tell.

These same Umnumzaans that closed on my hand twice leaving a deep scar the 2nd time....? Could not Give me one at this point. LOCK ROCK is UNACCEPTABLE in a CRK, in any high priced knife, Sorry PiterM. I know your great friends with the Reeves as well.

These same Umnumzaans that closed on my hand twice leaving a deep scar the 2nd time....? Could not Give me one at this point. LOCK ROCK is UNACCEPTABLE in a CRK, in any high priced knife, Sorry PiterM. I know your great friends with the Reeves as well.
Older or newer version Umnumzaan? It closed on your hand while putting pressure on the lock bar?

Older or newer version Umnumzaan? It closed on your hand while putting pressure on the lock bar?

Original old pivot zaan. Closed on my hand like a slip joint would. Had 3 of them at the time. 2 closed on me. This is why the ceramic ball lockup is a no go for me. Have zero desire to try a “new” zaan following that, or worse yet a thinner stock 31.

Original old pivot zaan. Closed on my hand like a slip joint would. Had 3 of them at the time. 2 closed on me. This is why the ceramic ball lockup is a no go for me. Have zero desire to try a “new” zaan following that, or worse yet a thinner stock 31.
Appreciate the reply.

It's unfortunate to hear about the lock issues. If people are in my situation, it is difficult to handle a CRK in person. General consensus and internet reviews is all I have to make my informed purchase. I own 4 21s a large and small inkosi as well as had a ZAAN. but I havent ever noticed any lock rock. I just checked them again and no rock

Furthermore, i dont like the idea that it is acceptable to the engineers(CRK). Lock up is the last place you want any play in a knife. With the information that I have seen this far I'm going to hold off on buying any 31s until either more information/something is fixed. I know my purchases will not hurt CRK but I'm not comfortable with spending that kind of money on a knife that is not perfect in function.

What we really need here is a proper comparison test between the models.

Anyone here who says any CRK framelock has no lock flex is just plain wrong. Even my unused Regular exhibits this phenomena, and I am on the fence whether my many 21s don’t actually flex more than my 25.

The concept of “bank vault lock up” is a fallacy, and alway has been. If you are honest with yourself, and do “the table top test”, put on your truth goggles, and press on the knife’s spine, you will find all CRKs have this flex, even yours.

The question is only whether the 31 flexes more than this crowd finds acceptable. That’s it. At the moment that’s just a matter of opinion. The opinion may be valid, but it would be nice to see some numbers put to it, to end the speculation and conjecture.

I just tire of hearing “my XXX CRK model is rock solid”. It isn’t, and never was. And that was never a problem until you read about it.

Anyways........just keep in mind the internet is good in some ways, but it’s mostly mental pollution. You spend too much time in places like this, and you suddenly have problems you didn’t know you had, until you spent that time.

If and when I get a 31, I’ll make up some jig to compare pressure required to begin lock flex. I have many 21s, and some other examples to compare to.

Anyone still unclear on how to uncover the hidden lock flex you didn’t know you had, here is how you do it. Press firmly and watch the blade rotate off the stop pin. Don’t be afraid.......no harm will come to your knife. It will still be that same knife you trusted for years when you are done.

loK7wGf.jpg

So, I've owned multiple Sebenzas (large & small), Inkosis (large only), and Umnumzaans. I have never tried to flex any of them and the only one that had any type of lock issue was a Zaan and it was only because I put some different O Rings on the knife that caused it to not lock up as securely. Once I put the stock O Rings back on it was fine.

I would encourage any of you - buy a 31 and try it. I have no issues with mine and I actually like it more than any of the other CRK's I've owned.

AB32-XEpjfhqnHecG22RqHkd1ysR_GzaA4cX9buRvlFmMKRCWX_r55DA9qNF8VJ-Yhe1shY9d9L7bEiLPexqsd-MX1OmSwxxu3T8HDZq3rI1at611CmeeNk0TvwX0n3OJVhCbdPAbZk=w2400

I never saw the reply to someone who cut themself how exactly did this happen? (if your using the knife to cut with the edge, how does the lock bar rock/failure cause the cut) I am confused...

On the surface a good idea, but the problem I see is with the variance in flex within the 31 model. How much flex the 31 you get has will effect the comparison against other models.
I think the difference in flex is more likely a difference in expectation or opinion between commentators here.

This is whole thread is more emotion and opinion, than reason and fact.

But yes, there is a chance the knife is highly variable leaving the factory, but I would bet against that if it was a wager.

What a thread! I traded my large PJ 31 back at the beginning of March. I was able to snag one off of a dealer and decided to give it a go. Received it and used it relatively lightly, but never noticed any issue with lockup. I traded it for another 21 because I realized the 21 has served me well for years. Why change a good thing? I can see both sides of the argument here, but I can't imagine the lock failing. Again, I never heavily used mine, but it felt solid in hand. I'll just stick with my 21s and see myself out. Was an interesting thread to read though! I wonder if this played into their decision to skip Blade this year.

I’ve been using Inkosi (small and large) quite extensively for years. Never had a lock issue and the concept is the same. If it flexes under pressure a bit it’s no problem for me... as long as it stays there without failing. So even in this thread of 49 screens (and counting) I don’t recognise a problem of lock fail in Seb 31? Lock flex is one thing, lock failure would be another.

I’ve been using CRKs for last 15 years (or more) and yeah, I simply like Sebenza as a concept and overall design. And Inkosi too. Much more than Umnumzaan BTW ;)

Back