Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

The truth is that questioning this change is healthy for everyone including CRK. My, new from dealer, never carried 31 has already been sent back to Boise for side to side play. I could have fixed the symptom by lightly sanding one of the flats of the pivot bushing but w/ a 21 I could sand both the pivot bushing and the stop pin sleeve and reeeeeally dial in the fit. So because the stop pin is stepped that part can’t be modified along with the pivot bushing as the washers sloooooowly (hopefully) wear thinner. At this point they can either install thicker washers (not likely) sand down the pivot bushing and replace the stepped pivot pin with a very slightly thinner stepped portion or just sand the pivot bushing to rid the symptom.

In on 50!

I've watched from the sidelines here. I have a L21 I tried the tabletop flex check on, and yes, there is the slightest hint of flex. But it is dang near imperceptible. Just holding in my hands I cannot generate the same flex and detect any movement whatsoever. Saying ALL 21's flex is like saying a solid bar of steel will flex (it will, stress and strain are physical principles you cannot eliminate).

To say that clicking and visible movement is generally in the same category by comparison to rationalize it in the 31 is bonkers. I was interested in expanding my collection with a 31... 50 pages ago.

What's the old saying - it takes 10 times the good news to overcome one piece of bad press - or something like that. Yes this may be a small sample set, but I'd need to see a lot more good reports to come back around. There are so stinkin many amazing knives out there, I just don't have the tolerance to be bothered by a tiny problem in a knife that is in this price range.

Just a quick update...I’ve been using my 31 every workday for light tasks. Zero prying, just straight cutting...mostly tape to be quite honest.
It does cut.
However, my side/side play is back, and all hardware is tight. Also, my lockup is now almost at 100%.
I must have seriously got a super bad one. Cause there is a lot of people singing the 31’s praises.
I wont buy another. :(

Just a quick update...I’ve been using my 31 every workday for light tasks. Zero prying, just straight cutting...mostly tape to be quite honest.
It does cut.
However, my side/side play is back, and all hardware is tight. Also, my lockup is now almost at 100%.
I must have seriously got a super bad one. Cause there is a lot of people singing the 31’s praises.
I wont buy another. :(

Assuming you received a lemon, why not just send it back to CRK at this point? They will fix these issues for you if this is their fault. Then, you can have a 31 within spec and you can give us a new update after using an in spec 31 instead of continuous updates about a 31 that appears to be a one-off at this point.

Assuming you received a lemon, why not just send it back to CRK at this point? They will fix these issues for you if this is their fault. Then, you can have a 31 within spec and you can give us a new update after using an in spec 31 instead of continuous updates about a 31 that appears to be a one-off at this point.
Hey........let’s not bring any logic into this equation........the indignation is much more entertaining.

Last edited:

Im not sure if I want to be the expensive guinea pig that sends mine in. Has anyone else gotten theirs fixed from CRK yet?

Hey........let’s not bring any logic into this equitation........the indignation is much more entertaining.

Your little stabs are interesting...

Here is what is known...from the first batches of 31’s there have been issues.
If the company that brought us “aerospace” tight tolerances is willing to overlook a very easily flexed lockbar, what else is being overlooked. It could be that QC doesnt know what to look for on the new knives?
You fanboi’s are killing me. This is real world testing on an actual knife that CRK put out the door.
Thats all this is.

where as
BeaverTail_Hunter BeaverTail_Hunter

Its not unfair...all I have right now is a bunch of BF guys telling me to send it in. And CRK saying it is normal.
It will be upwards of $150 Canadian for me to send this in for a “to be determined” answer.
where has CRK said that all of YOUR issues are “normal” - especially that side to side play and late lock up?

Can you not even give them a phone call and discuss the issues? They may even pay your shipping. If you cannot even call them then that tells me all I need to know about this.

And for clarities sake, yes im questioning the 31, im super unimpressed by CRK’s explanation of the extreme lock flex, seems like they didnt put any real thought into it.

This is a company I have trusted and gotten amazing products from. My TWO 31’s are a complete letdown. No way I got two lemons.
Its good to call companies into question. That how the world rolls.

Make CRK great again! Bring back the 21! Haha. ;)

where as

where has CRK said that all of YOUR issues are “normal” - especially that side to side play and late lock up?

Can you not even give them a phone call and discuss the issues? They may even pay your shipping. If you cannot even call them then that tells me all I need to know about this.

Well sir, to answer your question, after assuming what I have or havent done...CRK was called. With my CRK dealer friend with me. The week I got my 31...small amount of side/side play and lock flex was reported.
Answer, “it must have been reassembled improperly.” “No not disassembled yet.” “Wait till it wears in, and the lock flex is normal.”

So what now?

Well sir, to answer your question, after assuming what I have or havent done...CRK was called. With my CRK dealer friend with me. The week I got my 31...small amount of side/side play and lock flex was reported.
Answer, “it must have been reassembled improperly.” “No not disassembled yet.” “Wait till it wears in, and the lock flex is normal.”

So what now?

Call them back and report back in and discuss further. If CRK legitimately leaves you hanging I will be 100% shocked.

I cannot imagine them saying “side to side play and late lock up is normal” - lock flex, yeah, they have addressed that, but those other issues...come on, really?

Ok all, sorry for all the “bad press”. Im gonna excuse myself from the CRK forum all together. Apparently, I do not have an “optimum” 31 to be reporting on. I’ve never felt so unwelcome in a forum before.

I will most likely call again...but i have my reservations of cross border shipping with this Covid nonsense right now. Thanks for your input.

I don’t know about Canadian shipping rules- but when my inkosi had to get sent back because the pivot was stuck, they found it to be out of spec, replaced the pivot and did not charge me shipping to send it back to me.
i believe that you got a bum knife. I wouldn’t be happy with it at all. I would totally call them again and see what they say. I’ve called two times about two different knives and the lady on the other end was very nice and informative.

Ok all, sorry for all the “bad press”. Im gonna excuse myself from the CRK forum all together. Apparently, I do not have an “optimum” 31 to be reporting on. I’ve never felt so unwelcome in a forum before.

I will most likely call again...but i have my reservations of cross border shipping with this Covid nonsense right now. Thanks for your input.
I feel ya man. My 31 was out of spec (side-side play along with minimal lock flex) and I sent it in. It is a major let down and I don’t blame you for being discouraged, especially being out of country. I loved my Shiros until I had to deal with a warranty claim with them. It didn’t cost me anything but it was a 6 month turnaround to Russia and back! So I sold my Shiros, which sucks.
I feel like I have an understanding of mechanical things and (at least on my 31) the “lock bar flex” does seem inherent and a non issue. The side-side play is completely unacceptable though.
To help you with the sideways play, let me explain a few things...
the perfect fit of a Sebenza relies on the three spacers thickness and the washer thickness. The major aspects are the pivot bushing and the washers, next in importance is the stop pin (sleeve on the 21, shoulder on the 31). I’ll leave the back standoff out because it’s the lesser important of the parts. Perfect fit happens when: blade + both washers = pivot bushing thickness perfectly. Best to have the stop pin collar the dead nuts same thickness (Width separating the handle scales) too. With my 31, CRK claimed that the stop pin was to spec, so all they had to do was sand down the pivot bushing. If I had access to a sensitive micrometer I could have measured everything and easily made the adjustment myself. If I were you I would be looking into a self fix. But I understand your frustration.

where as

He has stated that he called CRK and they blew him off. CRK told him it was normal. Where do you go from there?

Back