Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Cancel Culture has finally invaded the knife community. One strike and you are out. You don’t even get a chance to fix your mistake. Your reputation, and desire to make things right, means nothing in the face of a few anonymous indignation junkies with a smear campaign.

I gotta find a hobby where the new world order hasn’t yet arrived. Maybe tying flies?

So again. Who in this thread with a 31 that rocks has sent it in and what happened next?

i have one with a good amount of flex. but since im in switzerland, i havent sent it in yet. probably gonna wait a bit till that covid stuff settles. last package to the states took almost 6 weeks.

Mine does flex in the lock. crk told now a few times that this is normal, so, im with no big hopes they gonna do something about it.

i have one with a good amount of flex. but since im in switzerland, i havent sent it in yet. probably gonna wait a bit till that covid stuff settles. last package to the states took almost 6 weeks.

Mine does flex in the lock. crk told now a few times that this is normal, so, im with no big hopes they gonna do something about it.
There must be someone in the USA with an example with the issue that can be sent. But really they need to see as many as possible hand on to drill down to the cause of the issue. That's the only way to move forward.

ThaNk you for the admiring.
mag1 mag1

I went back through some of your old posts and see you have an admirable assortment of Larges (including an awesome *drool* Diamond Plate).

Still no meaningful difference between your Lg 31 and the others?

<<Not stirring the pot. Just curious>>
I think the 21 diamond plate moved slightly less. And its a prestamp one. Im gonna recheck them
All and make a youtube vid if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
I finally got one! Yay?! K, so it's a user & I hoping it had these issues. Why? Cuz I'm a curious one. So, it deployed really good. Too good. Oh look, blade play. Ok. Washers aren't pinch. Screws are tight. Disassembly & measure time! Yep. Some things aren't right. Time to fix. Since the machined stop pin is something I can't fix w/o a milling machine, let's dial everything else in. Pivot collar, washers & backspacer need some material shaved off. Done. Sebenza...assemble! Ah, just like a Sebbie from spa & now needs a proper break-in. Hello again Sebie thumb. Also, it does have lock flex & as much as my Inkosi did. Since the tang is forcing the lock bar up, I'm not concerned...yet. I find it weird that I know it's a Sebenza, but it sure sounds like an Inkosi. ;)

I finally got one! Yay?! K, so it's a user & I hoping it had these issues. Why? Cuz I'm a curious one. So, it deployed really good. Too good. Oh look, blade play. Ok. Washers aren't pinch. Screws are tight. Disassembly & measure time! Yep. Some things aren't right. Time to fix. Since the machined stop pin is something I can't fix w/o a milling machine, let's dial everything else in. Pivot collar, washers & backspacer need some material shaved off. Done. Sebenza...assemble! Ah, just like a Sebbie from spa & now needs a proper break-in. Hello again Sebie thumb. Also, it does have lock flex & as much as my Inkosi did. Since the tang is forcing the lock bar up, I'm not concerned...yet. I find it weird that I know it's a Sebenza, but it sure sounds like an Inkosi. ;)

Stories of side-to-side play really baffle me.

It’s hard to imagine that’s not dialed in near 100%

There must be someone in the USA with an example with the issue that can be sent. But really they need to see as many as possible hand on to drill down to the cause of the issue. That's the only way to move forward.

I had one that had an excessive amount of play. When I contacted CRK, they said all was “normal”. I just returned it for a refund at that time.

Interesting video. Couple nuggets in it I never knew, like how to tell blade Rockwell by the blade stamp.

the issue is the ceramic ball on the lockup. if it would be a plate, no matter if its ceramic or metal or whatever, there wouldnt be much flex.
it´s not that the machining is the problem, but the design of the lock itself. not much they could do about that except creating a new lock.
so i probably gonna save the 100 bucks shipping to the states and back if they say that this amount of flex is okay. and since it has been my first crk, its most liky gonna be my last one too.

no shit talking here, just an honest opionion with having the actual knife in hand.

Checked my S31 after about two weeks now. No side-2-side play at all. Lock flex is just as it was. So far so good. Another day in the wild...

IMG_7817.jpg

the issue is the ceramic ball on the lockup. if it would be a plate, no matter if its ceramic or metal or whatever, there wouldnt be much flex.
it´s not that the machining is the problem, but the design of the lock itself. not much they could do about that except creating a new lock.

That's my understanding. A ball on a flat service is a pivot point. I'm guessing it has something to do with cost. More cost effective to not spend so much time getting the locking interface just right verses drill hole, insert ball.

Checked my S31 after about two weeks now. No side-2-side play at all. Lock flex is just as it was. So far so good. Another day in the wild...

I plan on doing just this. My 31 user came with what I can only call someone's first attempt at sharpening for a mirror edge. Time for me to knock tha ever living pee-pee outta this thing.

Back