Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

I have three 31's now. A large black micarta, large natural micarta, both birthed the same day (March-ish), and a large PJ that was birthed in June.

They all have varying degrees of flex. Which doesn't bother me, anymore. The natural is the easiest to flex, but has the best action of the three. The black has a small amount of flex, and a more stiff action. The PJ has almost zero, and has stiffer action, but is still new and breaking in.

They have been disassembled multiple times each. I have had no issues with side to side play. Or screws backing out with use. They are more finicky to assemble right, which I dislike. I have three 21's, and they assemble the same every time. The 31 should be the same.

Guy from Canada here...lol..
Just an update, my 31 is going in to CRK...I have been told from CRK before that something was “normal,” but when I sent it in they changed their mind. So hopefully that will be the case with the 31 as well.

I am not here to sully CRK’s name. But I have posted my findings and differences between the 21 and 31.

I will definitely be posting the results of my sent in 31. Please stay posted, as CRK has always taken care of me. We will see how this turns out. :)

Either way, you need a 21 in your collection!
:)

Curious to hear what the latest is with your 31.

is pivot screws backing out common on the 31s? happens easily on my 31 but never on my 21s.

I’m tempted to just order a Shirogorov from recon1 right now. The main reason I have always loved the Sebenza is the blade grind, blade stock thickness. They just cut like crazy and they’re thin in the edc daily carry role.
I’ve been considering the 31 but the flexing lock bar has me spooked... but relative to Shirogorov.... I bought a Neon Zero a year ago. It also had flex. Long story short, I made several attempts to bend the lock bar (they said it would be easy) and through what can only be Devine Intervention while sweating bullets thinking that I just trashed a new $700 knife did I end up with a perfectly functioning knife that was not perfect when I started. A year later it remains my daily carry and locks as solid as any pre-31 CRK.

I’ll never take that risk again bending a lock bar on a pricey new knife.

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery what is the latest on your 31?

still sitting at my friends store waiting to go out. He’s waiting on something so he can ship a bunch of stuff at once. :/ Gotta love Canada to USA shipping. I have plenty of 21’s, so Im not in a hurry.
Sorry folks.

I don't know if people missed this in my previous post, but my latest 31 had negligible flex, and now after a couple weeks of use, it has zero. I also noticed that the lockbar itself is machined differently in comparison to my two older 31's. There is less cut off the lockbar face, which makes the ceramic ball sit lower in the lockbar itself. Imagine the ceramic ball not moving from where it has always been placed, but now there is more material around it. I'll try and get some photos of this. I am not saying this fixed the flex, but after pondering and looking to see why this newer 31 has no flex, and my previous two do, it's all I could really see for a difference.

Anyone else have a newer 31 without lockflex?

I don't know if people missed this in my previous post, but my latest 31 had negligible flex, and now after a couple weeks of use, it has zero. I also noticed that the lockbar itself is machined differently in comparison to my two older 31's. There is less cut off the lockbar face, which makes the ceramic ball sit lower in the lockbar itself. Imagine the ceramic ball not moving from where it has always been placed, but now there is more material around it. I'll try and get some photos of this. I am not saying this fixed the flex, but after pondering and looking to see why this newer 31 has no flex, and my previous two do, it's all I could really see for a difference.

Anyone else have a newer 31 without lockflex?

Definitely have flex with my small 31, dated July 2020.

I'd be very interested to see photos comparing the differences you're seeing between your older and newer 31. If you could, please include the date of the knives as well. I'm starting to wonder if CRK is making adjustments as they put out more 31s.

You just debunked my theory. My latest, the PJ large 31 is from July 2020 as well.

I will get some photos up when I have some free time.

I’m also really interested in photos.
....and if there is a rolling change maybe it hasn’t reached the smalls yet.

If CRK have made changes to the design/manufacturing of the 31, I would hope they would announce it. It might bring some of the people back who walked away from the 31 design.

I would buy one again for sure if they made changes and there were reports that it was improved for sure...

Do you guys think that this is happening because Chris himself isnt there anymore to oversee the design/making of the 31 ?

Back