Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Folks, it’s been a long long while since I posted here...
My micarta 31 is at CRK now...and the wait is killing me. Haha.
Didn’t actually think I would miss it.

my 31 arrived today. Birthday July 2020 and seems solid :thumbsup: definitely has a lot of tension in the lockbar. Will break it in :)

EDIT: "pics or didn't happen"
50399776486_63080a16e8_c.jpg

50399082438_8dd57100d6_c.jpg

Last edited:
I wasn’t aware of that but now that it’s mentioned, I haven’t seen one lol, just micarta. Well damn!
I think the reasoning was that CRK considers the insingo more of a "working blade" and the wood and polish is more formal and gentlemanly. Probably why we haven't seen the insingo in polished finishes or damascus either. Strange logic though considering the drop point is the original on a knife literally called "work". Plenty here have demonstrated the hard usability of wood and damascus too.

I think the reasoning was that CRK considers the insingo more of a "working blade" and the wood and polish is more formal and gentlemanly. Probably why we haven't seen the insingo in polished finishes or damascus either. Strange logic though considering the drop point is the original on a knife literally called "work". Plenty here have demonstrated the hard usability of wood and damascus too.

So I'm guessing the Insingo CF 21 was somewhat of a fluke? Maybe it's considered a working specimen? Of course all this goes right out the window when you're talking about exclusives. :confused::thumbsup:

So I'm guessing the Insingo CF 21 was somewhat of a fluke? Maybe it's considered a working specimen? Of course all this goes right out the window when you're talking about exclusives. :confused::thumbsup:
With the exclusives they probably wanted to keep the market broader. The BHQ exclusive offered an insingo and tanto as well. Carbon fiber is expensive and perceived as luxurious but it's an incredibly strong, lightweight and nearly impervious functional material, so CRK probably didn't look at it in the same regard they do the wood. They likely viewed it more as a user too and this is evident where if you look at the KA Sebenza, the entire lock side is blasted, unlike the wood or BHQ that is polished. The drop point is also stonewashed unlike the former two's polished. My KA carbon fiber 21 insingo has actually probably been my hardest worked knife of all my Sebenzas, including the micarta and plain. Though this is most likely just a result of it being my favorite and seeing the most pocket time.

... The new stop pin is a faulty design and part of the problem.
ApostleP has some interesting comments regarding the stop pin of the 31 in his recent review of the 31. In essence, he makes the point that the stop pin collars are precision turned and as such are not such a precise fit as if they were hand lapped. Seems to me that this is indeed another aspect that needs to be investigated with regards to the 31 teething problems.

My 31 lockbar flexes a little when doing this spine pushing test that seems to be the common thing to do now. When doing this to a 21 I just received, the lock totally slips and disengages. I’ll take the minute amount of flex over the 21 design that allows the lock to fail.

Just wanted to jump back in here and add a second data point - it's been several months since I posted - I had a very early micarta 31 that I wasn't super happy with the lock up... I just picked up a newer (June) 31 with micarta inlays and it's pretty much perfect :)

Better lockup then an inkosi that I had... 0 side to side, 0 up and down "click"... it will still flex when pushed- but it makes me much happier and is a good 80+% better then my early run one IMO and this one will likely be staying with me.

Anyway - just wanted to add my second data point and add that I do believe there were some growing pains... and for those who said it was a "flex" over reaction early on... there most certainly is a difference with my newer 31 vs my old 31... I get and can tolerate the flex as it's a byproduct of a liner/frame lock... but there very certainly was some slop in some of the early ones... i'm now quite confident.

That said, I'm very happy with my new (to me) 31 and look forward to (knock on wood) many years of low drama work :)

Just wanted to jump back in here and add a second data point - it's been several months since I posted - I had a very early micarta 31 that I wasn't super happy with the lock up... I just picked up a newer (June) 31 with micarta inlays and it's pretty much perfect :)

Better lockup then an inkosi that I had... 0 side to side, 0 up and down "click"... it will still flex when pushed- but it makes me much happier and is a good 80+% better then my early run one IMO and this one will likely be staying with me.

Anyway - just wanted to add my second data point and add that I do believe there were some growing pains... and for those who said it was a "flex" over reaction early on... there most certainly is a difference with my newer 31 vs my old 31... I get and can tolerate the flex as it's a byproduct of a liner/frame lock... but there very certainly was some slop in some of the early ones... i'm now quite confident.

That said, I'm very happy with my new (to me) 31 and look forward to (knock on wood) many years of low drama work :)
When was the date on the early runs?

Back