Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

The pivot bushing is to thick. I’ll shave that down a touch and then see if I still have the backing out issue with the pivot screw.

I think that pivot bushings size relates to the stop pin collar as well. It shouldn't matter too much for the rear spacer.
There are three points of contact between two planes that needs to be maintained basically.

I think that pivot bushings size relates to the stop pin collar as well. It shouldn't matter too much for the rear spacer.
There are three points of contact between two planes that needs to be maintained basically.

Yes you are correct. Ill have to check if the pivot bushing is thicker than the stop pin shoulder thickness first.

There was obviously issues with the initial 31’s and the lock rock, oops sorry “lock flex” issue.
Now that they have been out awhile does this issue remain with what is coming out now ( have CRK made any tweaks ) or is it just deemed normal and be hush...???

I recently had something brought to my attention and it would be interesting to know is the percentage of knives returned because of issues has increased, decreased or remained the same. 10 retuned knives out of 100 knives produced is a lot different than 10 knives out of 1,000 knives produced.

I doubt that we will ever know but it would be enlightening.

No matter what the inudustry, the nonconformity rate is confidential business information as is the type, number, frequency and criteria of QC procedures.

Sorry to bump the thread, but what's the latest update ?

Could the 31 currently go through a revised manufactured process ? Could that explain it's pretty much sold out everywhere ?

Sorry to bump the thread, but what's the latest update ?

Could the 31 currently go through a revised manufactured process ? Could that explain it's pretty much sold out everywhere ?

People are now discovering this can happen on the 21’s also! I found this was possible as well through the same ridiculous “test” that created this thread, sort of making it overly dramatic and blown WAY out of proportion.

Others must be realizing this and not giving a shit about intentionally forcing the blade in a direction it’s not supposed to and buying them.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/am-i-expecting-too-much.1777498/

Apparently CRK addressed the issue in mid/late 2020 - supposedly a “less experienced” worker on the assembly line was at fault-

FWIW there has been much less complaining/issues since the fall of 2020.

some folks are still concerned about the way CRK handled the issue rather than the issue itself. See previous posts in this thread

Apparently CRK addressed the issue in mid/late 2020 - supposedly a “less experienced” worker on the assembly line was at fault-

some folks are still concerned about the way CRK handled the issue rather than the issue itself. See previous posts in this thread

This is my concern...the way they handled the issues...very different from Chris’s way.

That doesn’t line up with my experience I just purchased a brand-new small gold double lug 31 from very reputable dealer. Born date of December 19, 2020. Out of the box it had significant “lock rock”/“lock slip”. Needless to say, it was packed up and shipped back to the dealer. This was my second small 31. My first had a May 2020 birthdate and again the issue (sent back as well). I will say the December 31 had much greater flex/rock than the May. I don’t buy the explanation from CRK.

Oh well, I will just stick to my small Inkosi’s which don’t have and never had the issue.

Received my 31 back yesterday.

Paperwork that came back with it says that it was inspected, cleaned and tuned; also notes that body screw and body pin were replaced (pivot screw and pin).

It went straight in the pocket upon arrival. Will update next week or sooner if I notice any loosening of the pivot.

CRK shared that they moved the ceramic ball x amount to fix it. I'm guessing it was tad too close to the pivot.

I might have to snag a 31 now.

CRK shared that they moved the ceramic ball x amount to fix it. I'm guessing it was tad too close to the pivot.

I might have to snag a 31 now.

Got a screenshot or link to where this was shared by CRK?

I've been reading many really old posts lately. You may have seen the eight year old damascus thread I revived.
Anyways... I was reading some 2014 Spyderco forum and found a LONG post that had an interesting point. I read this quote and instantly thought of this post. Guess somehow I forgot to share it last week, so here it is.

"So again since the lock connects at the bottom you have a triad or three points to support the blade when opened. The stop, the pivot in the middle and the lock. If the blade connected to the lock more in the middle or at the top of the lock down where the detent is on most then you would experience blade roll. This is when you have vertical type play but what happens is the blade actually rolls on the lock because the lock connects in the wrong place." -from Zenith on https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=63964
I think Zenith is sharing info from a knife maker he knows. I have to say, a few others and myself called this a while back some many pages...

Just got my brand new small 31 pj today with a production date of Feb. 15 2021 and it has significant movement. I've owned many small Inkosi's since 2015 and never had one with this issue. Anyway, if we send them back to CRK for warranty can they fix it? If so how long does it usually take? Thanks

**Edit and 2 minutes later I found that they must have added this new feature into the double lug versions as well. :(:mad:

20210319_120010.jpg

Back