Shaman

Lets get some more pics in this thread!

Unfortunately I got hit with some unforeseen financial obligations and cannot pick one of these up right away. Maybe if some exclusives/sprints get announced soon I'll hold out for one of those. But hopefully I can pick up a reggae s30v soon!

Received mine today, it’s a big solid knife. Blade stock is beefy but also has great geometry.

The pivot was pretty tight but very smooth, I gave it 1/8th turn and it drops shut:thumbsup:

Out of the box the pivot had tight, hydraulic smoothness like a CRK. I think this might be the new benchmark for fit and finish for a Spyderco:D

The Shaman is bumping the Inkosi out of my pocket for at least a little while

Got mine of Friday and haven't really put it down since then. The blade wasn't quite centered. Since I can't put the knife down I loosened all the screws, got as much play as I could out of the spacer screws and snugged up the pivot again. The centering still isn't perfect but it's a lot closer than it was. I also felt that I needed to take a small round Arkansas stone which I tapered down to a gradual point, and lightly broke the edges on the inside of the scales. The sharpness on the inside edges of the scales is now gone. I didn't do much but it made a bid difference. Lockup is a bank vault with no play in either direction. The blade is close to drop free and only takes the lightest hand movement to close the knife. I found that if I put my finger to the top of the lock tab the kick doesn't bang into my fingertip if I leave it on the lock tab during closing. I'm a big Manix 2 fan and have 5 of them including the XL and the backlock. I love the feel of the Manix 2 and didn't think the Shaman would be able to compete but I have to say, the 3D scales and handle shape have won me over. This thing looks to be my new favorite!

Last edited:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/IVwcbCQfE1R8r8fm2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vAJ8QprW2vxxq9X82

Ok I was trying to post a couple pics but I’m having problems. I’ll try to describe the issue if I can. The angled face on the blade tang that the compression lock tab pushes against has a step in it. It’s like there is missing material at the bottom portion. The lockup is actually just above it so I don’t believe it’s effecting the lockup but my other compression lock knives are not like this. If you can access my pics please give me your opinion.

-John

Last edited:
That step is probably there by design. A similar step was added to the tang of the Para 3 after the first batch as CQI, addressing certain (unreasonable) lock failure tests some folks were doing. Do a search on Para 3 defect or some such terms and maybe the thread (on Spyderco's site, I believe) will show up. Michael Janich confirmed its purpose.

I’m at work right now so my comparison models are all at home. I just measured the grip width and the outside of the scales measure .530”.
If anyone is curious, per google Buck 110 grip = 5/8 inch or 0.625, spyderco PM2 = 0.460, Spyderco Gayle Bradley = 0.512 and the Gayle Bradley 2 is 0.490. Again this from google, I didn't measure.

That step is probably there by design. A similar step was added to the tang of the Para 3 after the first batch as CQI, addressing certain (unreasonable) lock failure tests some folks were doing. Do a search on Para 3 defect or some such terms and maybe the thread (on Spyderco's site, I believe) will show up. Michael Janich confirmed its purpose.
Thanks for the info. It does seems like a nice lockup and I feel better that it’s intentional. They probably could have deburred the area a bit better though. If you look at 10x (Or my first pic) you can see quite a bit of material displaced over the edge of that step. Thin pieces of material that may break off. I used a small dental pick to scraps them off and it only took a few seconds to do.

Do others that own the knife have this same step on the angled locking tang and are hanging burrs present?

Just got my shaman in today and it's a great knife. It does not feel unnecessarily heavy at all, the weight is balanced well. Factory edge would shave arm hair. The G-10 scales feel great and it's a fantastic blade shape.
Home run Spyderco.

Back