Shaman

That will bother some people. I asked Sal in an earlier page and in a message on his profile regarding this, never heard back. Im guessing it will not be worked out of the design.

This is the coolest spyderco in a while. I will have to try one on the secondary market in the future, but preferably if this kink gets worked out. Its a small detail, but it is one reason my money went into somethig else. I only had this and two other knives in the entire folder market on my radar.

A friend belongs to the Spyderco collectors club and he has been playing with it for about a week. I asked him how he liked it and he said it was a great knife except for the fact that it would pinch him when he closed it. After hearing that and this comment on BF I guess it is a real issue. I ordered mine anyway and am having Marble Carbon Fiber scales made for it, he might be able to improve it a bit. We shall see but I am still looking forward to getting it Of all the new Spyderco's it was the only one that I really liked.

A friend belongs to the Spyderco collectors club and he has been playing with it for about a week. I asked him how he liked it and he said it was a great knife except for the fact that it would pinch him when he closed it. After hearing that and this comment on BF I guess it is a real issue. I ordered mine anyway and am having Marble Carbon Fiber scales made for it, he might be able to improve it a bit. We shall see but I am still looking forward to getting it Of all the new Spyderco's it was the only one that I really liked.

This was the only knife in the catalog that I was really excited for. Does anyone know if this has a Pivot Bushing like a PM2 or is it a normal pivot with compression lock like a Superleaf?

Pinches him when closing? Do you mean opening? PM2's always pinched me when I open them (comp lock liner springs over and pinches).

I really like the looks of this knife. Can't wait to see side by side pictures with a PM2 for size comparison.

Anyone have any thoughts on your finger getting in the way of the knife shutting when closing the comp lock?

View attachment 786533
Hmm that's interesting. I wonder if it's possible to break past the detent with that little nub, and use gravity and a little wrist to open it.

Could be a fun fiddle feature.

It does seem like it could be obtrusive for a pinch shut.. it would come and hit your finger and not fully close.

Anyone have any thoughts on your finger getting in the way of the knife shutting when closing the comp lock?

View attachment 786533

A youtuber, KeithKevinKen, who puts up lots of Spyderco videos right when things are released seemed to see this as a bit of an issue also (he is super positive about all his knives, so if he mentions it as a negative it must be that).

Seems like you could just file some of the kick off.

However, being that the kick is unnecessary (it's not keeping the blade from hitting the spring like on a backlock) it should come from the factory that way. Sometimes the big kicks on Spydercos (specifically the Native) does seem to get in the way of some particular kinds of cutting tasks.

A youtuber, KeithKevinKen, who puts up lots of Spyderco videos right when things are released seemed to see this as a bit of an issue also (he is super positive about all his knives, so if he mentions it as a negative it must be that).

Seems like you could just file some of the kick off.

However, being that the kick is unnecessary (it's not keeping the blade from hitting the spring like on a backlock) it should come from the factory that way. Sometimes the big kicks on Spydercos (specifically the Native) does seem to get in the way of some particular kinds of cutting tasks.

I was wondering why a compression lock knife has such a big kick... other than to emulate its little lockback sibling :rolleyes:

Pinches him when closing? Do you mean opening? PM2's always pinched me when I open them (comp lock liner springs over and pinches).
I got hung up on that as well.
I was going to say that that (pinch on opening) always bugged me in the beginning because other than that I really went for the compression lock. Think about pressing the "button" to open the knife and WHOA I wasn't ready yet / it's open. Get ready to think about pressing the button to close the knife and it is already closed . . . when did that happen ? ? ? ?
BUT
I eventually started opening and closing slightly different and never get pinched. E.g., when I open I compress the lock and drop it open by my side or I thumb flick the blade open and I don't get pinched. If I open slow with the Spyder hole then I get the slightest pinch.
"The pinch" has become a NONISSUE.

Many ways to open it and fun.
Speaking ultimate ergos I like the back lock such as on my Endura 4 (blade drops when I press it compared to many back locks that just say "WHAT ?" ) but for just pure all around enjoyability give me the compression lock.

and I wanted to add way earlier that as much as I like the Military the compression lock Para 2 is the only knife out of my "vast :rolleyes: :p" collection that I carried for two months solid without even trying . . . all the others I look forward to the next knife or find things to "put up with" about the one I am carrying.

Last edited:
Well, I have to say that I am very pleased with my most recent Spyderco purchase. The mailman just delivered my Shaman. I just wanted to express my satisfaction with the Spyderco forum group. What a great knife. Great ergos, handle to blade ratio, contoured handles, good thick blade stock, compression lock, jimping, stonewash blade, and just the right amount of heft. I believe this will be a successful seller for sure. It appears it will be a pleasure to EDC. Enjoy guy's. Thanks Sal, and Spyderco crew. :D20171026_133216-1.jpg

I got hung up on that as well.
I was going to say that that (pinch on opening) always bugged me in the beginning because other than that I really went for the compression lock. Think about pressing the "button" to open the knife and WHOA I wasn't ready yet / it's open. Get ready to think about pressing the button to close the knife and it is already closed . . . when did that happen ? ? ? ?
BUT
I eventually started opening and closing slightly different and never get pinched. E.g., when I open I compress the lock and drop it open by my side or I thumb flick the blade open and I don't get pinched. If I open slow with the Spyder hole then I get the slightest pinch.
"The pinch" has become a NONISSUE.

Many ways to open it and fun.
Speaking ultimate ergos I like the back lock such as on my Endura 4 (blade drops when I press it compared to many back locks that just say "WHAT ?" ) but for just pure all around enjoyability give me the compression lock.

and I wanted to add way earlier that as much as I like the Military the compression lock Para 2 is the only knife out of my "vast :rolleyes: :p" collection that I carried for two months solid without even trying . . . all the others I look forward to the next knife or find things to "put up with" about the one I am carrying.
Maybe I'm weird but I like the pinch lol. I agree it's a non issue, it doesn't hurt really and I can avoid it easily like you said. I like a knife that "talks" back to me :confused::D

Can't get pinched, and have tried. Oh well. One question, looking at the liners, mine has two "chips", one in each side, towards the blade opening. Because they are on the liners, equally, I'm guessing they are designed, and not a manufacture flaw?

Recieved mine today. So far, very pleased. It’s much bigger and beefier than I anticipated. The finish, grind and handle make it feel like a hard use knife. More so than the Superleaf. It feels really big but I’ve been carrying a Lil’ Temp III the past few months.

Not crazy about the weight but I’ll get past that, especially when they start making the lightweight models.

No lanyard tube on this one. Big plus IMO. Sort of feeling like I need a linerless Native 5 to go along with it now...

Hi Marcus,

yes, it's possible, but not very convenient.

Not really a big "kick". More of a guard on a wide blade.

sal

I guess I’m still pretty new to the Spyderco forum but I’m pretty stoked to see Sal on the forum :D

Also, thank you for giving it a scratch forgiving stonewash!:thumbsup::D

Bought a blaze orange exclusive Native. Cuz I'd rather have a Native than a Shaman.

I have a Native CPM 440V and I love it but I have always felt it is a bit small so the Shaman looks perfect. Will definitely get one as my EDC. The Native have bben used a lot and it has been sharpened a lot so the blade doesn't look like it used to. But I use my knives so that's what I get. :)

Back