Share your French traditional/regional pocket knives

I appreciate that but it starts to get pretty twisted after a short while, shipping to the person and then shipping to me and to add to that I do not have paypal so that makes it just another layer of complications, so I will have to muddle on ;)
G2

I like Paypal. Fewer entities have my credit card numbers.
Still my favorite Opinel:
wk8HJN1.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t really have the desire to read through all 22 pages, but I’ll gladly share with y’all my traditional/regional French pocket knife. Opinel no 8 with an olive wood handle. Family last name is burned into one side of the handle along with the year I bought it.

86s1.jpg

86s2.jpg

Your knife is an Albigeois, a very rare pattern created by the Cabaziès family of Albi for the local peasants around 1800 and deleted around 1880. Albi is a lovely little town, famous for Toulouse-Lautrec and Lapérouse and the "red" cathedral.
You can find a pre-WWI Sabatier K catalog here but the pattern and Perrier have already been deleted.
Today I learned something! :)
View attachment 1142856

Since late there's again an Albigeois (made in Graulhet ) but the pattern looks a bit clumsy and has not retained the original 's simpleness.

Thank you my brother ! Here is photo next to my 12 cm Laguiole

https://i.imgur.com/ZIXUrFx.jpg

Your knife is an Albigeois, a very rare pattern created by the Cabaziès family of Albi for the local peasants around 1800 and deleted around 1880. Albi is a lovely little town, famous for Toulouse-Lautrec and Lapérouse and the "red" cathedral.
You can find a pre-WWI Sabatier K catalog here but the pattern and Perrier have already been deleted.
Today I learned something! :)
View attachment 1142856

Since late there's again an Albigeois (made in Graulhet ) but the pattern looks a bit clumsy and has not retained the original 's simpleness.

Thanks so much for doing the research and enlightening me on the history and background. It actually will help me forming a itinerary for a trip to France
Best Regards
Alex

Thanks so much for doing the research and enlightening me on the history and background. It actually will help me forming a itinerary for a trip to France
Best Regards
Alex
Albi is certainly a town worth the visit, full of history.

i love French knives.
left is Yann Nominee, Les Couteliers de Fountainbleu, and right is Renee Aubry, Artisan Coutelier.

both have Juniper covers.

the smudge on the right knife is just finger prints. it is like a mirror.

both have great action and snap, would be an 8 on a GEC.

really great knives.

96790FC6-DE6B-43A6-8CA8-675E4D6F94C0.jpeg 1E9B9281-03A8-40EA-B47E-9458166AC569.jpeg

I was going to put this in "Beverages and Blades" but I think it's better here. Carbon steel #8. Never had problems with rust, which is surprising since a stainless steel pocket knife in the same drawer did rust some.

TgAZQB1.jpg
In an otherwise impeccable photo .....my OCD got to me and I must say that the lack of a good crust on that baguette is my only critique.....

I was going to put this in "Beverages and Blades" but I think it's better here. Carbon steel #8. Never had problems with rust, which is surprising since a stainless steel pocket knife in the same drawer did rust some.

TgAZQB1.jpg

Hmmm, not sure if brie or camembert ... o_O

Could be Neufchatel too;) Didn't de Gaulle complain that ruling a country with over 300 cheeses was, challenging :D

Wine, fruits, cheeses and good bread is contentment, real felicity when you have a decent knife to accompany them :thumbsup:

Regards, Will

That reminds me of what Slavoj Žižek says about French cheeses although I'd rather not repeat it here, especially as I am myself a big camembert fan (Normand style, still a bit chalky in the middle).

You are of course right, but as a Slav I also need to add a dried meat product or two and something pickled (makes a nice patina). ;)

Hmmm, not sure if brie or camembert ...
...Normand style, still a bit chalky in the middle...
Too thin for camenbert (Danes ans Swiss produce a white thing with milk, vaguely ressembling in shape, but even all camenberts made in Normandy are not deserving the AOC, big dairies want pasteurized being granted the AOC, which is ridiculous), neufchatel is usually heart-shaped and too small for a real brie de Meaux , not sure if raw milk... and the bread is not a baguette.
Does not prevent from being a nice picture. :);)

Last edited:
Too thin for camenbert, neufchatel is usually heart-shaped and too small for a real brie de Meaux , not sure if raw milk... and the bread is not a baguette.
Does not prevent from being a nice picture. :);)

Regional variation, mon ami. :p (And I agree with you - unpasteurised, although it's harder to get over here) I'd pair the cheese with a nice Teran wine from the Kras Plateau or a Refošk from the Litorral, sour bread and some pršut or even želodec. And it'd still work great because great cheese goes well with other great things. :cool:

Back