1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Share your French traditional/regional pocket knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Stich2442, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    I appreciate that but it starts to get pretty twisted after a short while, shipping to the person and then shipping to me and to add to that I do not have paypal so that makes it just another layer of complications, so I will have to muddle on ;)
    G2

Cutfinger likes this.
  2. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I like Paypal. Fewer entities have my credit card numbers.
    Still my favorite Opinel:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Dschal, Cutfinger, Just Tom. and 5 others like this.
  3. lucky22

lucky22

Feb 27, 2012
    N
    No worries, the offers there.

Gary W. Graley and Fodderwing like this.
  4. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    I don’t really have the desire to read through all 22 pages, but I’ll gladly share with y’all my traditional/regional French pocket knife. Opinel no 8 with an olive wood handle. Family last name is burned into one side of the handle along with the year I bought it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dschal, Gevonovich, A. Pradel and 4 others like this.
  5. A. Pradel

A. Pradel

May 17, 2019
    Thank you my brother ! Here is photo next to my 12 cm Laguiole

https://i.imgur.com/ZIXUrFx.jpg

Fodderwing and RayseM like this.
  6. A. Pradel

A. Pradel

May 17, 2019
    Thanks so much for doing the research and enlightening me on the history and background. It actually will help me forming a itinerary for a trip to France
    Best Regards
    Alex

Jolipapa likes this.
  7. Lansky1

Lansky1

Apr 12, 2016
    Don't own them, but I always liked the lines of the Laforet ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the coup de gras ...

[​IMG]

Dschal, zolthar, Will Power and 6 others like this.
  8. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Albi is certainly a town worth the visit, full of history.

A. Pradel likes this.
  9. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    A. Pradel likes this.
  10. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Home of the Cathars!

Zieg

A. Pradel likes this.
  11. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    I was going to put this in "Beverages and Blades" but I think it's better here. Carbon steel #8. Never had problems with rust, which is surprising since a stainless steel pocket knife in the same drawer did rust some.

[​IMG]

Scott J., Dschal, Will Power and 8 others like this.
  12. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    i love French knives.
    left is Yann Nominee, Les Couteliers de Fountainbleu, and right is Renee Aubry, Artisan Coutelier.

both have Juniper covers.

the smudge on the right knife is just finger prints. it is like a mirror.

both have great action and snap, would be an 8 on a GEC.

really great knives.

96790FC6-DE6B-43A6-8CA8-675E4D6F94C0.jpeg 1E9B9281-03A8-40EA-B47E-9458166AC569.jpeg

Prester John, Dschal, Jathes and 11 others like this.
  13. A. Pradel

A. Pradel

May 17, 2019
    In an otherwise impeccable photo .....my OCD got to me and I must say that the lack of a good crust on that baguette is my only critique.....

14. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    Good eye! You are absolutely correct!

A. Pradel likes this.
  15. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    Hmmm, not sure if brie or camembert ... o_O

16. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Could be Neufchatel too;) Didn't de Gaulle complain that ruling a country with over 300 cheeses was, challenging :D

Wine, fruits, cheeses and good bread is contentment, real felicity when you have a decent knife to accompany them :thumbsup:

Regards, Will

17. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    [​IMG]

mitch13, Fodderwing, Peregrin and 4 others like this.
  18. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    That reminds me of what Slavoj Žižek says about French cheeses although I'd rather not repeat it here, especially as I am myself a big camembert fan (Normand style, still a bit chalky in the middle).

You are of course right, but as a Slav I also need to add a dried meat product or two and something pickled (makes a nice patina). ;)

19. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Too thin for camenbert (Danes ans Swiss produce a white thing with milk, vaguely ressembling in shape, but even all camenberts made in Normandy are not deserving the AOC, big dairies want pasteurized being granted the AOC, which is ridiculous), neufchatel is usually heart-shaped and too small for a real brie de Meaux , not sure if raw milk... and the bread is not a baguette.
    Does not prevent from being a nice picture. :);)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  20. ISKRA

ISKRA

Sep 19, 2016
    Regional variation, mon ami. :p (And I agree with you - unpasteurised, although it's harder to get over here) I'd pair the cheese with a nice Teran wine from the Kras Plateau or a Refošk from the Litorral, sour bread and some pršut or even želodec. And it'd still work great because great cheese goes well with other great things. :cool:

A. Pradel likes this.