Share Your Most Embarrassing Injury With A Traditional Knife

L4iIpH3.jpg

Here's the biting mora.

I was sharpening my Camp King with a small piece of carbarondum while it was on my leg. My grandmother told me to put the stone on a surface other than my leg but no, this then 8yr old, 10yr old, whatever, knew better than grandma. Well, grandma was right. You see I'd been sharpening a nick out of the blade that I'd put in it by running it through the electric can-opener sharpener. I must have been doing a really nice job because before I should have been able to say "Yes, grandma!" my knife slipped off the end of the sharpening stone and slice cleanly through the leg of my pants and took a nice little divot out of my knee. At least I didn't get paddled for not doing what grandma said. She let experience teach me the lesson that day.

I was in my couch "testing" how easily a new knife could stab a plastic bottle...it was taking more pressure than I thought, and as u gradually added more and more pressure it pops right through. It then proceeds to continue through the other side and into the palm of my hand between my thumb and forefinger cutting, but not severing, a tendon.

I tried to keep it hush hush but my girlfriend caught me bleeding in the bathroom. Somehow it stopped bleeding while open and I could see the tendons and stuff. No stitches, just a tetanus shot.

You can still see the bump where it hit the tendon.
0a540fa9af02a92b5263363102626cd6.jpg

Haha, this thread sends me back in time... The first pocket knife I had, given to me by Dear Ol' Dad when I was 7, is a little pearl-handled pen knife. Pa taught me, of course, how to safely handle the knife, and how to act responsibly when using a potentially dangerous tool. But, being a 7-year-old boy, I'm sure everyone can guess what happened.
Out in the back yard, I took that little knife in my little hand, and jabbed it into the trunk of a little apricot tree. The blade closed onto my index finger, and I sustained a decent cut. Fearing my mother's wrath, and wishing to keep myself and my dad out of hot water, I scurried to the bathroom, washed the cut, and applied a band-aid. My loving mother was none the wiser, and everyone was spared any unpleasantry. This was my first cut with a knife, and probably also my first experience taking care of my own injury.
Of course, that was not my last cut -- I'm sure that even now there are many more in my future, and as a practitioner of balisong manipulation I have sustained more cuts than most folks -- and certainly not my worst, but it sticks in my memory, and probably will until I breathe my last.
Blade Girl, that looks like a nasty one! I'm glad to hear that you did not sustain any permanent damage. You're very lucky for that, since there are so many things in our hands & wrists that are easily injured (nerves, tendons, etc.). Hope you heal up quickly!

Last edited:
My 99 Talon bit me while I was working some oil into the joint. The doc fixed me with super glue!

While sharpening this I cut myself and now the embarrassing part. I guess this is what happens when your litte girls pick out the band aids!

Last edited:
So super glue is safe to use for this sorta thing? I mean, the chemicals in it obviously transmit to your blood... if it's safe, I'll have to keep some on hand.. Yeah, my bleeding wouldn't stop tonight even after a long period of holding continuous pressure on it with several layers of gauze over it...it was soaking through rather fast. I mean, it didn't look like anyone got killed or anything, but it wasn't good either.

Superglue was designed for this kind of thing. I'm a doc, and we use the stuff all the time for minor wounds in the ER, or for final closure in an area where stitches would be a bad idea.

Back