Share Your Most Embarrassing Injury With A Traditional Knife

Never had to get any stitches but usually when hand filing the spine of the blade the tip some of the time pointed toward me when I'm working on shaping them.I think the worst I ever got using a knife was when I was filleting a salmon and stuck the tip of the fillet knife through the tip of my middle finger on the other hand once.

OUCH! Well, the ONLY positive is that at least it was the 'middle' finger, which, truth be told, is oftentimes more deserving of a little scolding than any of our other fingers... :) Regardless, none of this ill-event you endured was by any means good!

I know you said how it happened BG ... but I still wonder ... is the sheath defective? Or maybe there's a retention feature you may not have been aware of? Just not careful enough? Are you afraid of it now? What am I not asking LoL

I remember just a very few times, years and years ago, cutting myself accidentally but never required stitches luckily.

Goodnight all and many blessings to you and may all our wounds heal quickly (even the knife wounds...) And if there be scars, may they only add to our character and to our experience, helping us to be better and wiser about how we handle our blades! :thumbup: And may our injuries not have any impact on our ability to keep our 'knives' sharp; nor cause any fear or trembling.... But may these injuries better serve us with a slower, steadier hand as we carefully choose when, and when not to, wield our blades. :)

When I began this thread, my overall feeling was embarrassment and shame..even slightly embarrassed to post this at all! However, I am now feeling more positive seeing that we ALL make mistakes for whatever reason--being too fast, not paying attention, distraction, slip of the hand, etc etc. Whatever the cause, many of us have been injured in our "traditional knife experiences" as we learned and grew in our knowledge. The good thing is that we did not allow these mistakes to take away from our passion and joy we have with knives. We did not allow these things to inflict fear in us with our knives. Instead, we loved that knife just the same, held on to it, and possibly, even used it more. Many of us continued collecting, learning, using, and enjoying that very thing which has been around for many generations...going wayyyyy back further than we can even begin to imagine!

As times change, and people change, and technology moves forward, let us never forget those special, valuable traditions handed down to us from our parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and even people in society, such as Abraham Lincoln and many other of our Founding Fathers---and one tradition in particular...knives! A hobby and passion which has evolved since the beginning of time, and continues on in the hearts of man, woman, and child.

This is one of the many important, precious items we take with us...never forgetting the lovely, intricate detail of the traditional knives. From rock, flint, bone, and obsidian to brilliant bronze, lustrous copper, strong iron, steel, ceramics, and titanium. Let us hold up our "traditional" blades proudly, and as we do, remember those mighty men before us who made this wonderful, stunning thing we call a 'knife' possible in the first place. And those who upheld, proudly, the tradition of such a thing! Finally, may all of our injuries be turned into strengths, and the scars, no matter the depth or location, beautiful reminders of where we have been, and where we are right now. For it is those 'knife' scars that give to us character and an amazing story to someday share.

Abraham Lincoln's Traditional Knife and Collection Found In His Pockets the Day of His Death

Abe Lincoln's TRADITIONAL Ivory Pocket Knife In His Pocket the Day He Died

The 'Other' Contents, Including His Knife, He Was Carrying the Day He Died​
Wouldn't it be great if we could ask Abe Lincoln how many times he injured himself on his knife? I'm sure he would have some interesting stories to tell! Maybe someday, we'll have an opportunity to sit around the campfire in heaven and hear his tales of experiences and "INJURIES" regarding knives..even quite possibly battle wounds involving knives..who knows! Nonetheless, it would be MOST INTERESTING TO HEAR! (as a side note, if anyone has any info on what JFK had in his pockets at time of death, and if he carried a knife...please pm me and let me know! Would be interested in what knife he carried, if any at all..and given the times, I am certain it would be a traditional!)

Last edited:
I know you said how it happened BG ... but I still wonder ... is the sheath defective? Or maybe there's a retention feature you may not have been aware of? Just not careful enough? Are you afraid of it now? What am I not asking LoL

I remember just a very few times, years and years ago, cutting myself accidentally but never required stitches luckily.

It was put into the sheath very tightly..as there was a chain that came with it, and it was supposed to be in the sheath tightly to prevent it from falling it if you were going to wear it on the chain, as it was suspended upside down... But very good questions to ask indeed! Thank you for thinking of that... You may ask me however many questions you desire, my friend! :) You might like my last post here (above this one now)..it is very passionate, true and moving! Blessings to you and yours!

... next time wiggle it ... the knife and sheath ... don't try to pull straight out just yet maybe

... next time wiggle it ... the knife and sheath ... don't try to pull straight out just yet maybe

Thank you, BrotherJim! I will remember that for sure. I think I can also just go without the chain that came with it and only put it into the sheath with a moderate push and not shove it down in there so tightly.

Ouch hope it heals up ok.And welcome to the club:D,.Cleaning one of my slip joints after sharpening,managed to slice the fop of my thumb open.

I sliced one of my fingers open to the bone on the back side of a knuckle while building a model car when I was about 10 years old. I've never forgotten what caused it. Since then I've learned with knives and other tools that if something slips, be sure it's going in a direction that won't cause harm to you or damage to what you're working on. It ALMOST always works:eek:

This was embarrassing because it happened at a home improvement store where I was trying to look briskly competent.
qKlpONRp

So super glue is safe to use for this sorta thing? I mean, the chemicals in it obviously transmit to your blood... if it's safe, I'll have to keep some on hand.. Yeah, my bleeding wouldn't stop tonight even after a long period of holding continuous pressure on it with several layers of gauze over it...it was soaking through rather fast. I mean, it didn't look like anyone got killed or anything, but it wasn't good either.

Blade Girl,

I am not a doctor... but in the end game, I'm certain whatever Chemicals are in the 220+ grams of Protein I ingest a day, the cigarettes I occasionally smoke and just about everything else around me... is WORSE than the chemicals in Super Glue....

Now, that being said, I'm certain it's frowned upon to say the least, but In the field and in edL Its been a staple in my and many others packs. The medical industry uses adhesives much akin to it however I'm sure the composition of it is more natural seeing as it's probably an extra $437 on your medical bill :p

Thirty five years ago, I wa a bit intoxicated at a backyard BBq. Took out Opinel to cut something, and forgot to twist the locking ring. That cost me 5 stitches.
16579445722_66b7a48fcd_c.jpg

I was 21 years old and in a Mecixan border town across the river from Del Rio Texas. Ended up with a cut that went from base of palm down across the writs. Right across the wrist arteries. The arteries didn't get cut because the knife was dull enough they slid out of the way. Lucky for me, the idiot didn't know how to sharpen a knife. The bigger idiot got away very lucky that night.
15957986964_60b5f87c6a_c.jpg

I got bit by a Svord Peasant once, trying to figure out how to open it one-handed. Took a pic of it to remind me of my idiocy. No stitches thankfully.

Having and using knives since I was a kid, I've had my fair share of cuts...some probably could have/should have gotten stitched, but I never did (don't like hospitals)! The one that comes to mind for this thread though was when last year, after finishing a bottle of Jack Daniels single barrel (NOT in one sitting, mind you...my brother had gifted it to me for my birthday, 5-6 months prior!) I decided I wanted to remove the "coin" from the top of the wooden bottletop/stopper. I used my Northwoods bullet jack to carve wood away from the side of the cap until the edge of the coin was exposed for about 3/4-1", then proceeded to attempt to wedge the blade between the coin edge and the remaining wood (Yes, I know this was a horrible idea, even knew it at the time, but was too lazy to get a fixed blade knife, or even a screwdriver, which would have been better.) I had the topper resting on the floor, and was bearing down with the knife (being careful, at least, to keep pressure downward and forward, to keep the knife from closing on me). What I hadn't counted on, was the bottle lid rolling on the floor under the pressure, guillotining the well wedged blade closed onto my index finger. I never looked how deep the cut was, but knew it was DEEP. I just clamped onto it with my other hand and held pressure til it stopped bleeding, a good 20-30 minutes. Once I got bandaged up, I grabbed the correct tool for the job, and got the coin out. Not so much a lesson learned, as an old lesson reinforced.

aECE1GF.jpg

I sliced one of my fingers open to the bone on the back side of a knuckle while building a model car when I was about 10 years old. I've never forgotten what caused it. Since then I've learned with knives and other tools that if something slips, be sure it's going in a direction that won't cause harm to you or damage to what you're working on. It ALMOST always works:eek:

I will DEFINITELY have to remember that! Thank you for the advice! :thumbup:

This was embarrassing because it happened at a home improvement store where I was trying to look briskly competent.
qKlpONRp

Wow..yeah, that would be embarrassing! It's almost how it feels, as a woman, when you are wearing heels and trying to impress someone and you slip and either lose your balance, go sliding, or fall on your fanny! ha!

Blade Girl,

I am not a doctor... but in the end game, I'm certain whatever Chemicals are in the 220+ grams of Protein I ingest a day, the cigarettes I occasionally smoke and just about everything else around me... is WORSE than the chemicals in Super Glue....

Now, that being said, I'm certain it's frowned upon to say the least, but In the field and in edL Its been a staple in my and many others packs. The medical industry uses adhesives much akin to it however I'm sure the composition of it is more natural seeing as it's probably an extra $437 on your medical bill :p

:) You do have a point there! I just had never heard of it...but sounds like a great quick fix!

Thirty five years ago, I wa a bit intoxicated at a backyard BBq. Took out Opinel to cut something, and forgot to twist the locking ring. That cost me 5 stitches.
16579445722_66b7a48fcd_c.jpg

I was 21 years old and in a Mecixan border town across the river from Del Rio Texas. Ended up with a cut that went from base of palm down across the writs. Right across the wrist arteries. The arteries didn't get cut because the knife was dull enough they slid out of the way. Lucky for me, the idiot didn't know how to sharpen a knife. The bigger idiot got away very lucky that night.
15957986964_60b5f87c6a_c.jpg

That is a long one too..i can see the scar! I have three Opinel's, no. 7's. I will make sure to lock it every time I use it! <smile> You were lucky you didn't get an artery...given the location of the cut.

I got bit by a Svord Peasant once, trying to figure out how to open it one-handed. Took a pic of it to remind me of my idiocy. No stitches thankfully.

Whooh! Yeah..the blood always makes it look even worse, too. This one I got last night was VERY deep..nasty thing... the blood was pouring out of it.

Having and using knives since I was a kid, I've had my fair share of cuts...some probably could have/should have gotten stitched, but I never did (don't like hospitals)! The one that comes to mind for this thread though was when last year, after finishing a bottle of Jack Daniels single barrel (NOT in one sitting, mind you...my brother had gifted it to me for my birthday, 5-6 months prior!) I decided I wanted to remove the "coin" from the top of the wooden bottletop/stopper. I used my Northwoods bullet jack to carve wood away from the side of the cap until the edge of the coin was exposed for about 3/4-1", then proceeded to attempt to wedge the blade between the coin edge and the remaining wood (Yes, I know this was a horrible idea, even knew it at the time, but was too lazy to get a fixed blade knife, or even a screwdriver, which would have been better.) I had the topper resting on the floor, and was bearing down with the knife (being careful, at least, to keep pressure downward and forward, to keep the knife from closing on me). What I hadn't counted on, was the bottle lid rolling on the floor under the pressure, guillotining the well wedged blade closed onto my index finger. I never looked how deep the cut was, but knew it was DEEP. I just clamped onto it with my other hand and held pressure til it stopped bleeding, a good 20-30 minutes. Once I got bandaged up, I grabbed the correct tool for the job, and got the coin out. Not so much a lesson learned, as an old lesson reinforced.

aECE1GF.jpg

No more ignorant than what I did at 18 years of age. I found out that, when you open a can of soup and want the soup to come out easy..(in one big lump instead of having to scrape it out) all you have to do is poke a hole in the bottom of the can. So, like an idiot..I turned the can upside down, drew back with the knife (large knife) and missed the can. Went straight through the webbed area between your thumb and index finger..boy was that nasty! You could see all the way down into my hand right there... boy did I feel stupid!

That is a long one too..i can see the scar! I have three Opinel's, no. 7's. I will make sure to lock it every time I use it! <smile> You were lucky you didn't get an artery...given the location of the cut.

I wasn't the one with the knife!

Back