Share Your Most Embarrassing Injury With A Traditional Knife

Your injury doesn't seem to have affected your ability to type! :D

Seriously, it's pretty common among knife owners to get a few cuts here and there, though yours looks pretty significant.

W. R. Case even sells a Band-Aid dispenser with their logo imprinted on it (their part number 00959), so even the manufacturers know it happens.

Look into a product called Scarguard if you want to minimize the scarring. You can get it at Wal-Mart among other places. Check with your doctor, it appears to be a legit product.

You are most welcome. I know you ran into a few elbows and hard shoulders in some of the other areas here, but I assure you here in the Traditionals sub-forum we try to treat everyone with friendliness and respect. It's always nice to have newcomers expressing an interest in this corner of the hobby. I hope you'll continue to visit here.

Here's a lovely photo (in case you missed it in earlier threads) of two 'traditional' knives I recently acquired... these are 'traditional' are they not? I know they are not the 'old time' stag or bone... the one is a Case Toothpick and the other a RoughRider..and I must say, for the price, you can't beat a rough rider. Well made and sensible for the money!

BE IT KNOWN: I Have NOT Experienced Any Injuries YET With These Knives Here! And May God Keep It That Way!!!! :)

Last edited:
Sliced my eye open with a 9'' blade. It was one of the days where you go "just this once" and the worst happens.

I was trying to use a power drill to break loose some bolts that were stuck on an ESEE Junglas. All instances aside from this, I have never used a power tool to loosen screws on a knife. However this one day I was in a rush, trying to hustle before work and a drill was near by.

Long story short, the knife slipped out of my hand, and the drill spun the knife into my face. I was very close to losing my eye, so close in fact- that had I rubbed the eye at all it would have popped. 28 hours later, I had stiches on my actual eyeball, upper eyelid, lower eyelid, and eyebrow.

Your injury doesn't seem to have affected your ability to type! :D

Seriously, it's pretty common among knife owners to get a few cuts here and there, though yours looks pretty significant.

W. R. Case even sells a Band-Aid dispenser with their logo imprinted on it (their part number 00959), so even the manufacturers know it happens.

Look into a product called Scarguard if you want to minimize the scarring. You can get it at Wal-Mart among other places. Check with your doctor, it appears to be a legit product.

Well, it's on my wrist area and heavily gauzed and bandaged up for extra padding..so thank God it's not affecting my typing, as typing on the computer is my livelihood! I will definitely check that out..thank you! :thumbup::)

Sliced my eye open with a 9'' blade. It was one of the days where you go "just this once" and the worst happens.

I was trying to use a power drill to break loose some bolts that were stuck on an ESEE Junglas. All instances aside from this, I have never used a power tool to loosen screws on a knife. However this one day I was in a rush, trying to hustle before work and a drill was near by.

Long story short, the knife slipped out of my hand, and the drill spun the knife into my face. I was very close to losing my eye, so close in fact- that had I rubbed the eye at all it would have popped. 28 hours later, I had stiches on my actual eyeball, upper eyelid, lower eyelid, and eyebrow.

OMG! That sounds absolutely horrific! You poor thing! I can't even begin to imagine..gives me the chills thinking about it! Has this knife injury affected your vision today?

One more thing..you just reminded me! When I first became a nursing assistant in 2004, I was very young..my first job in that industry... I had a new patient that was admitted. I walked into his room and he was talking to me. I think the ol guy did this on purpose to freak me out! As he spoke to me, he popped out his eyeball, placed it in his mouth, sucked on it, and then took it out of his mouth and polished it with his hospital gown and then put it back in the socket---it was a glass eye, but I didn't know at the time! ha ha ha So then he told me that he lost his eye in his younger years due to a knife injury! I don't remember now the details he gave to me then..needless to say, I'll never forget the details I listed here...ewwww! Ha ha ha!

Yes, I saw your other pics of the Rough Riders and the Case Corelon Toothpick. Nice looking knives. You and Pertinux seem to share a fondness for the blue handled knives.

I have a few in Case's blue bone as well.

Here are a couple of them:

Peanut:

Larger cousin, the Copperhead:

To keep this on the original topic, I have never cut myself with either of these.

I've cut myself a few times sharpening, polishing and generally fooling around with knives though never bad enough to require stitches. I'm sure I was embarrassed every time I've done that. Most recently though (a couple weeks ago), I was on a conference call and distractedly rubbing my thumb along the flat surface on the side of the blade on a little GEC Pemberton while talking. I didn't even realize that I had cut myself at first, but mid-sentence looked down and noticed that I was dripping blood on my keyboard. Not a bad cut, but I had to keep it pinched shut to stop it from bleeding until my call ended and I could go find a band-aid. There was no one around to see what I had done, but I still felt incredibly foolish. :eek:

I hope your cut heels quickly, and for what it's worth, I like the little fixed blade.

Yes, I saw your other pics of the Rough Riders and the Case Corelon Toothpick. Nice looking knives. You and Pertinux seem to share a fondness for the blue handled knives.

I have a few in Case's blue bone as well.

Here are a couple of them:

Peanut:

Larger cousin, the Copperhead:

To keep this on the original topic, I have never cut myself with either of these.

Oh I love these!!!!! VERY VERY MUCH! And it's good that you never injured yourself on them. At first, I was looking for a little blood on the blades before I read what you had to say <wink wink>

Yep,get some myself now and then,usually when I'm making the blades.:D

I've cut myself a few times sharpening, polishing and generally fooling around with knives though never bad enough to require stitches. I'm sure I was embarrassed every time I've done that. Most recently though (a couple weeks ago), I was on a conference call and distractedly rubbing my thumb along the flat surface on the side of the blade on a little GEC Pemberton while talking. I didn't even realize that I had cut myself at first, but mid-sentence looked down and noticed that I was dripping blood on my keyboard. Not a bad cut, but I had to keep it pinched shut to stop it from bleeding until my call ended and I could go find a band-aid. There was no one around to see what I had done, but I still felt incredibly foolish. :eek:

I hope your cut heels quickly, and for what it's worth, I like the little fixed blade.

Thank you Old & In The Way. I see many of your posts around the forum, and I admire you much and enjoy reading your words and drooling over your knife photos :) While I wasn't dripping blood on my keyboard over them, I was salivating heavily on my keys <wink><big smile> over many of your blade photos! I can relate to how you felt, as this is how I felt tonight! My boyfriend was with me, as he drove me to the Urgent Care (he lives next door)...and he was right there when it all happened. When I was getting stitched, because I didn't want the anesthesia because of various allergies..didn't want to take a chance...the doctor was going on and on about how cool I was and what a bad a--I was and so forth...The reason I denied any anesthesia was out of fear of having a bad allergy...so being that I did so out of fear, I would venture to say I wasn't Betty Bad Butt after all! ha! Needless to say, I was embarrassed as all get out of this display (my boyfriend didn't believe me! He thought I was eating it up!) I get very embarrassed when someone openly makes over me like that..and I DID NOT feel like a cool person as I said in the original start of this thread. I felt like a total idiot, to say the least, that i was there to begin with. When it happened, I thought, "Oh no! I know this is going to be bad!" I looked down, pulled the flaps of skin aside and saw that it was extremely deep (I have low BP, so the blood wasn't coming out right away..but once it did, it was really flowing..) and looked at him, soooo embarrassed, and said, "I'm going to have to go somewhere to get stitches. This is very bad!" I was very embarrassed when I had to tell the medical staff how it happened, too. Uggh. I will definitely LEARN from this mistake, and will be more careful in the future. I STILL love this little knife though. It's kinda funny in a way, this knife is probably my smallest least 'threatening' in appearance of my fixed blades..... goes to show you... little guys can do some serious damage....the size of the assailant means absolutely nothing! (though the assailant, in actuality, was my own self...the clumsy side!)

Last edited:
What happens outside Traditional, stays outside Traditional.

The thread is about cutting yourself with a traditional patterned knife. Please stay on topic.

The thread is about cutting yourself with a traditional patterned knife. Please stay on topic.

I am sorry. I will kindly remove any comments by me not pertaining to the conversation. No harm meant. Thanks for the reminder.

DONE. :thumbup::) Thank you for letting me know and providing me an opportunity to correct any mistakes. Hope you are having a good evening (or day...) wherever you are in this world!

Not a traditional.... but reached in my pocket one day at work.... went to hand the woman at the register her receipt and her eyes told the story...
Straight took the entire surface to the bone off my middle knuckle at the third metatarsal? The boxers fracture bone.... Bled incessantly.. Super glue wouldn't stop it even after makeshifting a tourney and elevating it for a few mins... took literally ten minutes of repeated glue just to stop the bleeding. Never felt it, GREAT Scar :)

Emerson Karambit.

Well, to keep Frank from banning me - here's a pic of a traditional knife AND a wound caused by one (though not this one I think) - notice that little spot on the tip of my index finger? That is a healing knife wound. Oh, the horror. This was from 2013 sometime.

And to stay FULLY on topic, the embarrassing part about it is that I posted the pic on-line then, and again now. Showing to the entire world my knife-handling failure. That's why to this day I never post pics of my face, just a knife in my hand. The shame is too much to bear.

Not a traditional.... but reached in my pocket one day at work.... went to hand the woman at the register her receipt and her eyes told the story...
Straight took the entire surface to the bone off my middle knuckle at the third metatarsal? The boxers fracture bone.... Bled incessantly.. Super glue wouldn't stop it even after makeshifting a tourney and elevating it for a few mins... took literally ten minutes of repeated glue just to stop the bleeding. Never felt it, GREAT Scar :)

Emerson Karambit.

So super glue is safe to use for this sorta thing? I mean, the chemicals in it obviously transmit to your blood... if it's safe, I'll have to keep some on hand.. Yeah, my bleeding wouldn't stop tonight even after a long period of holding continuous pressure on it with several layers of gauze over it...it was soaking through rather fast. I mean, it didn't look like anyone got killed or anything, but it wasn't good either.

Well, to keep Frank from banning me - here's a pic of a traditional knife AND a wound caused by one (though not this one I think) - notice that little spot on the tip of my index finger? That is a healing knife wound. Oh, the horror. This was from 2013 sometime.

And to stay FULLY on topic, the embarrassing part about it is that I posted the pic on-line then, and again now. Showing to the entire world my knife-handling failure. That's why to this day I never post pics of my face, just a knife in my hand. The shame is too much to bear.

Ha ha ha! I would not laugh, of course, if I thought for one second you were being serious when you say "Oh, the horror..." over the little pin dot wound! Of course, maybe before it was much worse and you were being serious..if so, then I relent. <smile> Nonetheless, it was a wound and I am positive it did not feel good! Shoot, even a hangnail that gets pulled feels hellish at times depending! I am off to bed..as it is 2:15 a.m. in the morning but I will see everyone's comments here tomorrow and look forward to more! Have to get up early to make my boyfriend coffee in the French Press (I want to do this, as he was very helpful to me tonight...) for when he stops by briefly to say goodbye..he has an extra long day. And I bring him up for a reason here to do with injuries..he is one of the smartest people I know in re to knives, and he has an enormous collection. He too has cut himself on several occasions...one time, he even took the tip of his finger off! Not the whole tip, but the end of the tip. So he of course had fun with me tonight about my injury! :)

Goodnight all and many blessings to you and may all our wounds heal quickly (even the knife wounds...) And if there be scars, may they only add to our character and to our experience, helping us to be better and wiser about how we handle our blades! :thumbup: And may our injuries not have any impact on our ability to keep our 'knives' sharp; nor cause any fear or trembling.... But may these injuries better serve us with a slower, steadier hand as we carefully choose when, and when not to, wield our blades. :)

Last edited:
What was your worst and how did it happen???

Never had to get any stitches but usually when hand filing the spine of the blade the tip some of the time pointed toward me when I'm working on shaping them.I think the worst I ever got using a knife was when I was filleting a salmon and stuck the tip of the fillet knife through the tip of my middle finger on the other hand once.

Back