1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

SHOT Show 2019--New Knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ASBOB, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Ok, those I like the look of.

2. Wunderbar

Wunderbar

May 2, 2003
    Emerson has bunch of nice prototypes moving more into the outdoor market even including mountains
    in their logo. Too bad their knives are overpriced.
    Steel Will. I have a Cutjack, excellent knife. I will be getting the new Lanner.
    SOG's SealXR looks cool but is all hype/BS. The rep says something like made for Operators by operators the size they wanted, the steel they wanted, etc. I wonder if they wanted the plastic handles too. Attention SOG...not everyone is a knife nut and most people wouldn't even know what S35V even is.
    Kershaw....well Walmart will be happy to sell your imports.:
    Buck are you kidding? A plastic handle flipper in 420HC for a Grant
    Spyderco has a new lightweight Para 3 FRN handle with Carpenter BD steel. Cool.
    Benchmade - same old stuff. :(
    Cold Steel making more toys (ie; plastic butterfly knife).
    Condor hey I like your new hatchet and puuko.
    Have not seen others yet but looking forward to it

3. POCEH KOCEB

POCEH KOCEB Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Totally agree with vanadium. I like to see less knives being built for target markets, like accessories.
    I like to see less flippers, frame locks and metal handles. l like to see more good looking but functional knives, instead of tacticool looking pieces with crosses and shields for few thousand dollars. Whoever wants those - let them have it, there is plenty of companies that make those and have loyal customers, just let's not make this a trend, a folder can be pretty and functional without looking goofy and shouldn't cost a suburban house mortgage payment... Nothing against free market rules, just don't find normal to see a $60 materials put together and sold for 3 grand... I don't mind that the product cost as much as someone is willing to pay for it, I do mind imposing the mentality that you have to have the 3 grand knife, otherwise you don't have taste for what it is...
    I was too busy to go to the SHOT this year. Looking at the new knives coming - I didn't miss anything. I'm only interested of the Para 2 tanto that is supposed to come, possibly, this year and I like the new Hinderer models, that's about it.

vanadium and Wunderbar like this.
  4. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I want to see more functionally and contextually driven designs. Designs that have a clear mission statement revolving around real-world use, and being specific about it. I want to see manufacturers designing to their unique core competencies instead of trying to do whatever everyone else is. I want to see more "back to basics" aesthetics with clean lines that are done just so. And I want to see a focus on minimizing functions so that they can truly excel instead of trying to cram as many features into a single tool as possible. I want stuff that's more fun to use than it is to buy. But I want that every year, all the time.

5. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    That looks really nice! How’s the action?

6. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    And I want to see your new fixed blade knife!

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  7. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    VERY soon. They should be shipping to me this upcoming week if things go to schedule. ;)

Insipid Moniker and jstrange like this.
  8. P2P

P2P Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Looking forward to the ZT 0640. It’s priced a little high, and the clip is trash, but at least it doesn’t have a flipper. The last ZT I cared for was the ZT0550. Gonna put an Emerson clip on it and see what I think.

Emerson designed, ZT built, and a potential Sebenza 21 competitor to boot.

Benchmade almost had me with the new M4 Freek, but I’m a dollar short and they’re a day late with the M4. Maybe in a few months I’ll grab one.

9. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    I've been watching the Blade HQ vids and one knife that impresses me is the Gerber Fastball. It kinda looks like a Kershaw IMHO, but a bearing flipper made in the USA with S30V for a $100? Yes please! To bad I won't be able to get one here in Canada.

10. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    This just seems...wrong to me somehow. It's probably because it's not what you expect from Case. I am sure these will be well made (because they're by somebody else, Southern Grind iirc) so if I see one at a decent price, might make a good dress up folder. Of course, I've got so many of those already, not sure there's anything unique enough about it for me to grab it.

Lapedog likes this.
  11. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I have to agree with you. Last year Benchmade brought out the Mini Presidio II folder (Post Shot Show) which is a axis lock manual knife with small thumbstud and metal "handles". I liked the look of it in pictures, and looked at one in person and bought it. It was pushing the upper limits of my $ range for a knife, but I still got it. I would never have ordered it online because of the metal sides. But in person, I handled it and it worked very well for me. This knife functioned perfectly, well made, and did precisely what I wanted it to do. Last year it was all about flippers..... I suspect this year will be the same.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  12. SharpPancake

SharpPancake

Dec 30, 2018
    Have you saw new Condor knives?

I want that chopper. I dont need one, but I want one. Being Condor the price will be good. Yes, its only 1075 carbon steel, but who cares, when you have a demolition tool in your hands.

13. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    1075 is kind of an ideal choice for machetes, so there's no "only" about it. Better that than 1055, and 1095 brings no advantage to the table for a machete, while adding several drawbacks.

I'm kind of underwhelmed by the offerings this year. I'm excited about the Terrasaur, but that was announced last year as a 2018 item and it never materialized, so I'm not holding my breath until it's actually in my hands. Too many new models that are redundant with existing models and too many models with micarta, which bumps up the price significantly and continues to push the brand further and further from the budget-friendly brand identity they used to have. They're still a reasonable value for the feature set, but that price point is going up and up the more of those kinds of features you add. The Cavelore is cool, but it's just a cosmetic re-skin of the Bushlore, and the Mini Kephart is neato, but those three are basically the only ones that strike me as good fits for what I like most about Condor. It really feels to me like they're losing focus and going all "Cold Steel" with their product lines. Which works for Cold Steel, but I don't think it's what Condor is best positioned as.

22-rimfire likes this.
  14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Some interesting new additions for Condor. Will wait and see what shows up at dealers. I would like to look at the Mini Kephart in person. Don't think I will blindly buy it.

15. SharpPancake

SharpPancake

Dec 30, 2018
    @FortyTwoBlades Well yes, half of new models are kinda the same....but you have to admit that the Woodbuster chopper is cool!

16. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Meh. If I need to split wood, I'm using a hatchet. And bladesports aren't my thing. So it ticks none of the boxes for me, though I can understand the appeal to some folks.

17. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    That’s all that matters these days to sell a knife, flipper, s35vn and almost certainly titanium framelock.

18. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    How about no more t6 screws period! That is progress. Hardened screws would be progress too.

Mo2, marrenmiller and vanadium like this.
  19. vanadium

vanadium Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Yes indeed. And no more red (permanent) Loctite, and no more free-spinning pivots with tooling only on one side.

Mo2, marcus52AR and Lapedog like this.
  20. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Actually I thought of something else worth mentioning. The Emerson Overland folder appears to have a significantly thinner primary edge bevel, as well as the option to have no wave. That's a step in the positive direction for a company whose knives I otherwise detest.