Show off your 15's

black mamba black mamba
Thanks Jeff, I ISKRA is correct about the Farmboy. The bolsters have had rat-tail grooves filed into them. Plus, a process I have heard others call "de-horning" was also applied. It consists of rounding bolsters, blade spines, tang corners and covers so there are no sharp edges where they don't belong. The blades were re-profiled removing the abrupt angle on the clip blade's spine and turning the spey into a spear blade. Mostly subtle changes but they made a world of difference in use. It's now like one slick tear-drop in hand, very comfortable. When dropped in the pocket, no pocket wear. Maybe I like it as much as I do because while working on it... I kinda developed a relationship with it.:)
I'd like to be able to show you some before pics but unfortunately they are among the 1000 or so pics on my old computer. I can view them but they don't transfer. (still working on that one :mad:)
Here's one with both blades open.
uSBUq8C.jpg

I love the GEC 15 pattern but not so much Bail and Chains. Finally decided to pick up 152118B&C for user. I removed B&C and thought about filling in the holes but decided against it last minute. The 3rd knife was modified for easy open.

IMG_0543b.jpg

IMG_0544b.jpg

IMG_0545b.jpg

Yes, I filled my 15 Bail&Chain with some brass tube I had, maybe not as elegant as Sterling Silver;) but it's worked out OK thanks:thumbsup: Brass doesn't really show on jigged bone, on smooth scales maybe, but contrast:D

Last edited:
Very cool. I'm curious, how did you lay in the silver?
Thanks

the one i did this mod to is seen in the modified traditional thread. i cut sterling stock into small plugs and slowly thinned it down until it would fit snug into the holes. this was micarta so I had no concern about hammering, but did use a raw hide hammer to hammer the plugs in.

I just filled the bail hole on this one. It was a good learning experience. I will see how it wears before I do it again. I used silver solder that I chucked in my drill press and sanded down to a friction fit and used a drop of super glue.
ZbfjM7N.jpg

FddXKTL.jpg

Last edited:
Posted this photo over on Charlow thread where we were discussing GEC's numbers but really belongs here. My three favorite 15s are the Beer Scout, TC, and Diamond Radio Jack...blood red makes them all the better....sawcut, soup, and jigged.

upload_2019-6-23_10-47-31-jpeg.1149759

I was just messing with some of my GEC 15s and was looking at how nice and simple the double bladed versions look when two nail nicks are used. As some of you know, I’m extremely fond of Beer Scouts but the long pull on main blade with nail nick on secondary (on the standard BSKs) just isn’t as aesthetically pleasing to me as a pair of nail nicks. Some double nail nicks from my collection.upload_2019-8-22_18-43-56.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-22_18-39-41.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-22_18-39-41.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 1
Back