Show off your 15's

2015 Scout w/caplifter in red sawcut covers:thumbsup:
mzpA9Q.jpg

nFIxm4.jpg
Paul, how about a side by side photo of this Soda Scout with your Blood Red spearpoint Beer Scout...you are likely the only person who can do that!!!

I was going back thru this thread, admiring the great variety in my favorite GEC pattern and I noticed something with the crown lifters. Did GEC elongate the crown lifter between the first generation “Radio Knives” and the later “Crown Lifters” (thanks to mortonm and Nature Boy as I borrowed their pix)? My Diamond Radio Jack has the longer crown lifter, identical to my Beer Scouts.upload_2019-8-23_7-55-40.jpeg

upload_2019-8-23_7-49-51.jpeg

The crown lifter on the early Radio Jacks looks very similar to that found on the 2011 Forum 85....which I have heard needed to have the lifter hit with a file before they would work properly (photo borrowed from jazub...wish I had one of these 85s!!). The blade of the screw driver is shorter than found on Diamond Radio Jacks, Crown Lifters and Beer Scouts, and the hook is shaped differently. Anybody need to alter the lifter on their early Radio Jack for it to work better?

upload_2019-8-23_9-10-21.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-23_9-7-26.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-23_9-7-26.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1
I was going back thru this thread, admiring the great variety in my favorite GEC pattern and I noticed something with the crown lifters. Did GEC elongate the crown lifter between the first generation “Radio Knives” and the later “Crown Lifters” (thanks to mortonm and Nature Boy as I borrowed their pix)? My Diamond Radio Jack has the longer crown lifter, identical to my Beer Scouts.View attachment 1183811

View attachment 1183807
I don’t think I have any of those three knives anymore, but there’s definitely something different about the cap lifter on this 2013 Radio Jack.
A680AF7C-E8B6-4836-8527-A66C0A59101D.jpeg
If not shorter, there’s more cut from the cap lifter.

Thanks for responding Mike (and thanks again for use of photo)...the early version (circa 2013) sure looks shorter than that found on the 2014 and later knives with crown lifters.

I was going back thru this thread, admiring the great variety in my favorite GEC pattern and I noticed something with the crown lifters. Did GEC elongate the crown lifter between the first generation “Radio Knives” and the later “Crown Lifters” (thanks to mortonm and Nature Boy as I borrowed their pix)? My Diamond Radio Jack has the longer crown lifter, identical to my Beer Scouts.View attachment 1183811

View attachment 1183807

I don’t think I have any of those three knives anymore, but there’s definitely something different about the cap lifter on this 2013 Radio Jack.
View attachment 1184052
If not shorter, there’s more cut from the cap lifter.
There’s a longer straight on the spine and more cut out where it meets the opposite end of the cap so on the old ones it falls all the way off the end of the cap and on the newer ones it is about 3/4ths of the way, I’m pretty sure they are the same length and I posted some direct comparison pics in maybe the beer scout thread or modified traditionals I’m not sure. I find the older version works better at least on the two examples I have. I could definitely be their individual grinds though.

View attachment 1183807
Oops it was in let’s talk gec
upload_2019-8-24_9-58-51.jpeg
upload_2019-8-24_9-59-16.jpeg

Here's one of my favorite 15s. I have it only thru the help of friends. Thanks again for contacting me on this Alan and another "well done" to Glennbad.
2AyXS30.jpg

I too love my stainless 15...though I have the stock bone not these beauties from Glennbad. The walk and talk on mine is incredible, pull not too bad but watch your fingers when you close it!!

Great comparison of 2 awesome knives! Seems like the caplifters were cut differently because of the different primary blades and accessing the nail nicks.

Sorry Mike I guess you didn’t get the last word....ISKRA I do not think that is the case, scroll up a few messages and you will see a post showing three of Mike’s “later” (2014/2016) Crown Lifters each w/ a different primary blade. All three use the same later style crown lifter. Mike then posted his 2013 Radio Jack next to his 2014 Diamond Radio Jack, a nice comparison between the early and later style crown lifters...and the nick is in approximately the same location. I don’t know why the change (HELLO GEC??) but it doesn’t appear to be because of the blade shape given the use of the new style w/ sheepsfoot (Beer Scouts w/ long pull and Crown Lifters w/ nick), spearpoints (Diamond and regular Radio Jacks plus the Rendezvous Beer Scouts all w/ nicks) and clip points (Crown Lifters w/ long pull). It seems to be a production thing (2013 vs 2014/2015/2016) maybe because of a functionality issue.

Back