Show off your 15's

Sorry Mike I guess you didn’t get the last word....ISKRA I do not think that is the case, scroll up a few messages and you will see a post showing three of Mike’s “later” (2014/2016) Crown Lifters each w/ a different primary blade. All three use the same later style crown lifter. Mike then posted his 2013 Radio Jack next to his 2014 Diamond Radio Jack, a nice comparison between the early and later style crown lifters...and the nick is in approximately the same location. I don’t know why the change (HELLO GEC??) but it doesn’t appear to be because of the blade shape given the use of the new style w/ sheepsfoot (Beer Scouts w/ long pull and Crown Lifters w/ nick), spearpoints (Diamond and regular Radio Jacks plus the Rendezvous Beer Scouts all w/ nicks) and clip points (Crown Lifters w/ long pull). It seems to be a production thing (2013 vs 2014/2015/2016) maybe because of a functionality issue.

Hmm, yes, I missed that ... Well, must be cosmetics then, or a production thing like you said. Something similar happened when they pushed the nail nick a bit further back on the spear points of the 2018 run.

I haven't taken a pic yet, just took it out of the tube, looked it over (fondled it) and put it back... but I got a 15 Huckleberry with bail and chain, and it seemed that the jigging on the handle was a little "rough" feeling in a few places... not nearly as smooth as I normally have seen on GEC knives... has anyone else noticed anything like this? I'll try to get pics, maybe later this evening...

edit:.... not complaining, just wondering. GEC's "bad" stuff is so much better than most other makers' "good" stuff, it just took me by surprise...

I haven't taken a pic yet, just took it out of the tube, looked it over (fondled it) and put it back... but I got a 15 Huckleberry with bail and chain, and it seemed that the jigging on the handle was a little "rough" feeling in a few places... not nearly as smooth as I normally have seen on GEC knives... has anyone else noticed anything like this? I'll try to get pics, maybe later this evening...

edit:.... not complaining, just wondering. GEC's "bad" stuff is so much better than most other makers' "good" stuff, it just took me by surprise...
I have seen that before and used steel wool to smooth it out.

I use all mine as fidget spinners constantly while commuting... probably about 2 hours a day average... so I get a lot of pleasure out of feeling those areas gradually smooth out with my fingers!

I use all mine as fidget spinners constantly while commuting... probably about 2 hours a day average... so I get a lot of pleasure out of feeling those areas gradually smooth out with my fingers!
.... back when I was still working construction, my fingers probably would have been equal to about 180 grit.... as I've gotten older, and worked inside, much of it with latex gloves on, they are probably more like a 600 grit now... :D

I might try the dremel with a little buffer felt bob... or just ignore it. :cool:

I had that on mine too. Smoothed out pretty quick after getting some pocket time.

I got a 15 Huckleberry with bail and chain, and it seemed that the jigging on the handle was a little "rough" feeling in a few places... not nearly as smooth as I normally have seen on GEC knives... has anyone else noticed anything like this?

My 93 ramfoot had a spot where the jigging caught on clothing and cut my finger a little. It's smoothed off now.

bsuvb2E.jpg

Quite a few GEC jigged knives can have very sharp (and I do mean sharp splinter like) facets on the jigging. 15 s have had it, 25s and recently a Dixie Stockman of mine. As others have noted, pocket carry will soon sort it out or else a light rubbing with paper.

Mine is currently riding in my pocket.... I even have a little patina started on it, from breakfast this morning. I like the size of the 15 better than the 14. The 14 is... cute. It almost feels dainty in my hand. The 15 is a better feel, to me.

After using it to open a few boxes this morning, I decided to remove the bail and chain. I like the idea of the knife being "connected", but it's just not long enough. A couple of times, I almost had it pulled out of my hand, when I reached to cut box tape, and ran out of "reach"... I can see that ending badly, if I was hurrying...:eek:

Back