Show Off Your Leather!

TF
Thanks for the reply. I have been using the Tandy artificial sinew and like the results. I have been doing the 2 needle saddle stitch and like the way it looks. My sheath making has been improving. Man, I have gone through some leather to get to this point. I think I am close to being able to post a pic with out too much embarrassment. Again, thanks for getting back with your answer.
Cheers
Balding

This is a little different.
What do you think.
snow212Fighterandcloversheath022.jpg

snow212Fighterandcloversheath021.jpg

Balding - post up - it is how you get better.

Here is my latest with sinew. Not sure I like the stitching with the design - but the sheath turned out nice:

HikingBuddySheath001.jpg

HikingBuddySheath002-1.jpg

TF

TF
This is my first attempt at posting pics.

DSC_0001-1.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_0009.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_0006.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC_0002.jpg
[/IMG]
This is my sheath for a Swamp Rat Howling Rat. It's the 5th sheath that I actually completed. It's all stuff purchased at Tandy. Stitching is artificial sinew.
After wetting the leather for my wet molding, the leather dye color bled into the sinew. Not that big a deal, just wish it didn't do that. Everybody tell me your comments.......good and bad.
Cheers
Balding

Last edited:
EagleStroker
Thanks. I learned everything I know from the Paul Long videos. I give full credit to him. I still aspire to be more like him!
Balding

I like it! Great first effort! it's really got that frontier look.
Cheers
Balding
Thank you very much, I like your stitching, its uniform and even though the dye bled into it, it actually gives it great character. What type of dye did you use if you don't mind me asking.

@markb, thank you, i appreciate it very much.

BigNick
All I use is Feibings Oil Dye. This started out as Saddle Tan. But, I kinda tried to do some characterization with British Tan, and Dark Brown. I was trying to make a brand new sheath look like it has spent years in the deer camp, telling lies around the camp fire.
Balding

@BaldingEagle Ahhhh I dig it, I only use Feibings Pro oil dyes. Your sheath is pretty kick ass, as I said before, it has a lot of character.

Big Nick
Thanks for the kind comments. I have only been playing with leather for about 3 months. Like I said in the picture post. This is the 5th sheath that I have finished. I started countless others but found a design flaw or otherwise screwed something up. I have gone through a lot of leather to only have 5 sheaths to show for it. But each one is a learning experience. So maybe, after going through about 20 dead cows I might be halfway decent.
Cheers
Balding

BaldingEagle, best I can count I only got 55 useable pieces out of three sides of dead cow last go around. You waste a lot when your learning! When your making similar things over and over you can be more frugal - when it's ALL custom that's harder to do.

-Robert

Robert
What I've been doing is the same sheath over again till I get it right. I can't imagine trying to make customs. I'm just trying to sheath my own modest collection of knive. But, I am really enjoying leathercraft. I am a 26 yr Air Force veteran hoping to ride it out to a 28 yr retirement. I am a dentist and love working with my hands. I am also pretty OCD about the quality of anything I do. So, I may be my own worst critic about my leathercrafting.
Good talking to you
Balding

Here's my latest knife/sheath package.

Sheath: Fully lined Wickett and Craig 6-7 oz veg. tanned leather, dyed dark brown with polished natural edges and Grey Seal skin inlay. Hand turned Red Maple(same as knife handle) lanyard bead and maker's marks tag. This rig comes with a 42" leather shoulder strap w/ polished copper snaps for alternate carry option. Dark "antique copper" snap components were used to reduce "glitter". All leather and seal skin have a hand rubbed mink oil finish.

Please excuse the poor shot of the blade. I'm not sure why it looks all wavy like that..... its not.

Thanks for looking,

Peter

Last edited:
Back